A Weight Loss Thread - tips and support welcome!

Confused

Can I join too? I need this!!! You all have been so wonderful to me with ALL my complaining and asking for help! Thank you! I wish the best to all of you and its soo hard even when we have it in our minds to lose weight! Im a stress eater ( not so much anymore I have acid reflux now and get sick when I eat) But anyways great job on losing weight, sadly it takes time but as mentioned if done right, it works and congrats to your weight losses! All great ideas!

Ok, me. I am 205.8 pounds and short. I was a chubby kid so much that my tummy roll when I was ten, it was a baby according to some other kids my age :/. But as a older teen was a size 3! I always had a big flat behind so never got rid of that, and started gaining weight,then, first pregnancy gained 50 pounds, the second I gained 30. I was more careful the second time! Anyways, so I never really stuck to a wonderful diet and exercise plan. I do not like water, love fast food, homemade fried food and yes, junk food!!! Buttercream cakes,sundaes,sugar cookies with icing.. I lack will power! Ok enough for now, Im gonna try again to stick with something healthy and take your suggestions!

Oh I see it this way to, as soon as I am not on a liquid diet( never stuck to one yet) I have a spoon or fork and thats it, I get the salad and keep getting other foods. I know if I can cut out the stress and junk/fried and fast food il be ok haha

Californiablonde

Is anybody else besides me dealing with people trying to sabotage your weight loss efforts? I am and it's frustrating. I have my skinny friends, who have never had weight problems in their lives, telling me to go ahead and eat whatever I want and just be happy with my size, whatever it may be. Then there's my very overweight friend, who probably has about 100 pounds to lose, who is telling me not to diet and to be satisfied being plus sized.

I honestly don't know what these people's motivations are for trying to talk me out of losing weight. Especially the friends who have known me for years and know the skinny me more than the fat me. Why are they so against me trying to lose weight? I am definitely not going to let them deter me, but I'm just curious as to why nobody but me thinks I should get this weight off. Is anybody else having the same issue?

BusynMember

I lost fifty pounds.

If you don't exercise, and the more the better, it is really hard to lose weight. I haven't been able to work out as much as I did when I was in between jobs and I've gained five pounds back. Today it was freezing and horrible outside so I jogged back and forth in my little apartment...lol.

InsaneCdn

I have my skinny friends, who have never had weight problems in their lives, telling me to go ahead and eat whatever I want and just be happy with my size, whatever it may be.
You make them look good. If you lose weight well you might be a threat, in my opinion skinny people can be a bit insecure

Californiablonde

That's what I was thinking, too. Perhaps they don't want competition. My very overweight friend is even worse. I can't put up a facebook post about how I'm doing with my weight loss without her saying something negative. If she's fine with being plus sized and unhealthy that's fine, but stay out of my business when I'm trying to better myself!

CB, The best revenge is success. The overweight friend wishes she could lose, she doesn't want you to succeed. It's about her own shortcomings. That's why she posts negative things. The skinny friend doesn't know any better because she's skinny and has no clue about the worry and distress you feel.

Nomad

Staff member
One of my closest friends is exercise addicted and I don't think it would take much for her to become anorexic. She is over fifty and weighs about 100-105 pounds...about 5'3". She works full time at a job where she is mostly on her feet, then does one or TWO exercise classes after work and another one on Saturday. Sunday, she cleans the house, but is often exhausted. Recently, they needed to paint their house and money was tight, so her and her husband painted it themselves and she did this after work and on the weekends. I told her to please consider skipping some classes and she wouldn't. Some days she looks VERY over tired and her face looks drawn and although we are the same age, she does look at least five years older than myself. Her figure looks really good, although she has lost a lot of her curves. I have greatly reduced making suggestions to her because I think she thinks I'm jealous. I have my brief moments...but that's about it. I recognize an addiction when I see it. I'm looking for self discipline and good health for myself. I do greatly worry about her at times. And I'm also saddened that although we are very good friends, she seems to get jealous when I tell her my health has improved and I can exercise a little. Women can be a little weird in this area, especially women who are hurting in the self esteem arena. I really try to always work on myself in that department, as well as strive for better health. I was just given more weirdo news today health wise and while on the treadmill this morning (ten minutes) I thought of all those times in the past I bitxxed about having to go the gym and would workout for 45 minutes and how I wish that was possible now. I'm striving for improvement. But I pray I never take health for granted again...it is a great blessing!!!! I am enjoying this thread. For me, losing weight for good health, like lowering my blood pressure medication and so forth...is a great motivator. I know just talking about it, like here, is also highly motivating. Thank you :)

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
I bought this dressing for a houseguest and ended up REALLY liking it: Annie's Naturals, Lite Italian dressing.

It pretty natural, flavorful and two tablespoons are only 45 calories.

Confused

Im sorry about your friends being that way. We will support each other! But you all are right, exercise, success, and being careful on the amount of exercise.. I hope she will be ok Nomad. I went off my diet today but still ate less then usual. Less caffeine too! No exercise yet.. Ill add that next week.( yard work is exercise for me, believe it or not, I have some weeds and also holes from the dogs to fill in!

Californiablonde

Well guess what? I saw the cardiologist today and he said it is NOT my heart. I am cleared to begin exercising again. I am so happy! I can't wait to get off work and go on my nightly walk. Walking was not only getting my weight off faster but it did wonders for my anxiety as well. I am so relieved and more determined than ever to keep going!

dstc_99

Congrats CB.

I just started a new diet but I am calling it a meal plan. It is called the DASH diet. I did some research on it and so far we are on day 2 with only one complaint from my kiddo's. husband is out of town so it is making it easier. He is my picky eater.

I like this one because it is small meals and tons of veggie's which I am a huge fan of. Plus salad is a big hit at my house so that is easy to add in with out complaint.

nlj

I eat loads of fruit. It satisfies my craving for sweet stuff but is better than sweets. I love fruit like mangoes and strawberries. A ripe mango is as good as a big wedge of chocolate cake.

I have hypothyroidism so would be the size of a house if I didn't watch what I eat and exercise every day. I hate feeling overweight though, so that's a good incentive.

H says that lots of sex is good for losing weight - he would wouldn't he!

Californiablonde

On weight watchers I am allowed to have as much fruit and veggies as I like. I really wish I liked fruit. I can't stand apples, oranges, or bananas. Strawberries and grapes are just okay and I don't really get any enjoyment out of eating them. I do like plums, peaches, and mangoes, but right now they are not selling them due to being winter time. I love steamed veggies but can no longer eat them at work after several of my coworkers complained of the smell. I wish I had better snack alternatives for work.

InsaneCdn

I love steamed veggies but can no longer eat them at work after several of my coworkers complained of the smell
What, I wonder, do THEY snack on?

in a school setting, where all staff are supposed to be setting good examples for students, steamed veggies "smell too much" for some staff?

Right. This is California. The land of la-la-la-max.

Californiablonde

I agree with you Insane I think they are making a huge deal out of it. One of my coworkers actually said they smelled good but a couple of other adults plus two of my students complained that I stunk up the whole office. I'm bummed because I really like my steamed veggies. I wish I liked them raw but I just don't!

dstc_99

Get some of those popcorn mini bags and burn them in the microwave every day. I bet they'd shut up.

Wait even better! Heat up some baked fish or liver and onions. Those people are a major PITA.

Nomad

Staff member
Do you like any raw vegetables (at least decently) and then you could dunk them in reduced fat salad dressing. Tastes kinda like a salad.

InsaneCdn

How about cold steamed veggies? I used to work with someone who cooked them at home the night before, then brought them to work cold, with something to dunk in... (low-fat yog, I think).