A woman gives birth to twins at 60!

Kathy813

Staff member
Pamela,

I think there is a huge difference in adopting a child at 45 and giving birth to a child a 60. There is a reasonable expectation of seeing your child to adulthood when you start at 45. I'm not sure that is true for starting at 60.

~Kathy

wakeupcall

I agree!!!! I can hardly wait for difficult child to have one just like him!! I've GOT to stick around to see it....lol!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I agree!!!! I can hardly wait for difficult child to have one just like him!! I've GOT to stick around to see it....lol! </div></div>

:rofl:

I don't think this woman realizes that a persons health can go to pot in an instant and without warning past about 55.

And sure we all have a risk of physical problems or even death no matter what our age. But by giving birth at her age, she's probably at least quadrupled those risk factors if not more. And let's face it.... kids AGE a person. She's starting over with TWO.

My stepdad who was my father figure was in his 60's during most of my childhood. This was an extremely active man who was majorly into his kids including step ones. As active as he was, we still wore the man out. We were devistated when he passed away when I was 21 (he was 72). I still wish my kids could've known him.

My grandma did most of my raising. As wonderful as she was there wasn't all that much "hands on" to it. I missed that part of having a Mom.

Then you have to look at it from the kid's point of view..... I spent my whole childhood explaining that my "Dad" was NOT my grandpa. As well as being taunted and teased by other kids.

dreamer

My mom had me when she was 15 and my dad was 16. (they were married) Neither had living parents when I was born, and I got a brother 2 years later. Life was hard with such young parents. Dad left right after bro was born but he still chased us around and threatened mom and us at gunpoint often.
When I was almost 15 mom had b/g twins by a new husband and they had a much more financially stable life. ALas, I did not get to live with them, - I was on my own as mom was nervous her new husband would resent raising me and bro in addition to his new babies. When I was 30 my mom was in yet a new marriage, and had a son! By then she was very very financially well off. Her husband was vibrant virile, energetic, healthy. ALas, he passed away suddenly when my youngest bro was 11. And mom passed away when he was 19.
Watching my siblings and my parents- over the years with different levels of financial status and different ages and levels of energy? I cannot say which is better or worse? A young young parent has enormous energy but, very little life experience and often very limited resources. Older parents know who they are usually and what they want and know their own values etc.and most often are financially stable. Ironically it is my middle siblings who are the least pleasant, least compassionate people of all my siblings. Oh, they are the ones who got the best opportunities, and my bro of the b/g twins has his PhD and his twin sis married into great wealth- but their personal values stink and they are rude cold people who expect everything to always be "just so"
In my life I have seen SO many young persons become totally disabled and totally dependant for all their activities of living, or even pass away........there simply are no guarantees. SOmething can happen to anyone at any time in life.
I have a cousin who became a father at age 13 and his wife was also 13, they had a severely disabled child for their first of 8 kids. To everyones surprise they handled it with grace and dignity, and that child blossomed and now has a bachelors degree. ALas that cousin of mine, the dad, he died when he was 19. I have an aunt who became preg during perimenopause and had a child at 48 yrs old. My aunt had always been sickly, but, she lived (and still lives) and raised that last child who now is a high powered wall street broker.

We do not have crystal balls. we just never know. There were times when I worried about my youngest brother being born so late in my moms life, but, him and I have become quite close this last year and he always tells me he is happy........and I enjoy him SO much that I am really very glad he was born. And had mom passed away younger, I would have gladly stepped in and taken over raising my youngest brother. He is quite a wonderful young man. AND I think if he had not been born, my mom may have passed away younger.....in her mind children gave her a reason to be alive.

wakeupcall

All of our backgrounds can be dramatically different. And yes, anything could happen to any one of us at any time. (I should know.) Our difficult child has decked two peers because they said one of us was old. He cares not.

dreamer

PS......I waas 30 when my first child was born, after years of treatments for infertility (beginning with my first husband) My husband was 40 when our first child was born. I was 36 when my last child was born. I look young, have a baby face......but, I was in a wheelchair for a few years. My husband became quite ill just before our son was born. Everyone always assumes he is our kids grandfather, my father. Too bad. My kids do not seem embarrassed- many many many of their friends are being raised by grandparents. (way too many) Many of my brothers friends thought he was being raised by his grandparents. He did not care, my bro adored our mother (as did I- it is only the twins that did not "like" our mother)

Ironically even tho my mom was so young when I was born, my mom seemed to be an old lady..she NEVER "played" with me or bro- shje was alsways SO tired from working so many hours. She had never ridden a bike, never wore bluejeans, LOL- she finally BECAME young when her last child was born! It was her very last child with whom she played, - with whom she had fun. That was when she finally gave up the rigid idea she had in her head about what the parenting role meant.

Yes, my husband is not young at all, he is 57 and our son is 12. My husband has NEVER thrown a ball to our son (my DHs health has been crummy my whole sons life) BUT my husband is home with our son every day. They play videogames, and do crossword and jigsaw puzzles, and brain teasers. They have food fights........they tease each other unmercilessly.
I guess in my humble opinion no matter the age, people can have advantages and disadvantages and such.

dreamer

As for who might raise any kids if a mother dies? Well, if gramma or siblings do not want to, then it is best they don't. Nothing is more sad than being raised by someone who does not WANT a child.

wakeupcall

With our grown daughter's permission (she's 37 this summer), we put her in our will to raise our adopted difficult child should anything happen to the two of us. She has four children of her own, but I know she would do right by him and raise him as she does her others. I have NO intention of that becoming necessary, but we covered that base and I think anyone who has children should do the same. Our difficult child doesn't look at us as old whatsoever. Back to the start of this thread, I wouldn't want to give birth at 60. No thanks.

dreamer

I agree any parent at any age- when they become a parent, they need to make arrangements. There are so many things that "could" happen------it works out best if the bases are covered.
Now would I want to give birth at 60? I do not have any idea, LOL, I am not 60! And I do not have a crystal ball. LOL. But I know people who are 30 and do not want ANY kids .....even ones who have no kids........and I know people with 4 or 5 kids who would like one or 2 more............

K

Kjs

My children do not have any "family". easy child knew grandpa only as being sick, died when easy child was 14. difficult child was only two, doesn't remember. I have 5 brothers and sisters. They are too busy with their own families and grandchildren to even know my family would love to visit an Aunt or cousin. And what ever cousins kids are called. I am the last of six children. The first Group is much older than I. Out of the house when I was born. I hear my sisters and brothers talk about growing up. I NEVER had any of the things they had. not so much had, more of parent involvement. They were just to tired. My mother had a stroke and hasn't been able to speak, or walk in 5 years. that is what my kids know for grandma. In a nursing home. So when ever holidays come around and all the friends and neighbors are going to grandma's or aunties house...we stay home, doing the same thing we do everyday. And that's not very happy.

Estherfromjerusalem

I just have to jump in here.

Yes, I agree with everything you have all said.

And nevertheless . . . somehow, I understand what this woman has done. There are some people who have boundless energy well into old age, and there are others who are like old people when they are still really young. No one knows what is in store. And if one has faith . . .

I wish her good health, and a lot of joy. And nothing worse should happen than that people think the parents are grandparents. I had my youngest son (my difficult child) at age 41, and my hair was already white, and other children in the kindergarten would say to him "here's your granny come to get you!" So what!

I'm sure she will have a lot of help with all the practical things if they are comfortably off.

I certainly wouldn't want to have any more children now (I am 62). Having raised eight children, I don't even have much strength to be nice to my grandchildren (although I AM nice to them, don't get me wrong, I love them and they love me). And still, once in a while, I get a little twinge, remembering how wonderful I felt all through pregnancy, what an amazing thing it was to give birth, and how I just adored those first baby years. No, I don't want any more, certainly not once they get older, but nevertheless . . .

Just my two cents' worth . . .

Love, Esther

dreamer

Sadly, my mom was young enough to be gramma, but had no interest,(she never once babysat at all, not even one time- not even when husband had a heart attack and I had a miscarriage at same time) and my sibs have no interst (except my youngest brother) of being aunts or uncles. My husband has no family, he was an only child as were his parents and his parents died before our kids were born. So- we have been on our own all my kids lives. We muddle thru......
I would love to say we gather with friends, but, sad truth is I worked so many hours for so many years, and my friends have been dying off at an alarming rate, and with working, then being so ill and taking care of my ill husband, and the kids, I never did manage to make enough time to nurture more friendships. SO- for many holidays we do volunteer service or spend our time with ourself- me, husband and the kids, or just me and the kids if husband is too symptomatic.
It is quite different from how I grew up- surrounded always by aunts uncles and cousins, but- we make do.

dreamer

I was just thinking-
There are so many things that some people find stupid or dumb or illogical or unpleasuraeable, that others might find desireable.
I LOVED working Hospice. ANd with geriatrics. I loved doing private duty nurseing, hands on direct patient care. I also absolutely loved waiting tables. My sister and sister in law would prefer to die before doing such work. My sister in law worked in an office at a desk, and to me that sounded absolutely horrid. A friend of mine LOVES chatting on the phone, I find it way too confineing and it hurts my ear and my arm, shoulder and wrist, and I simply HATE being on the phone AT ALL.

My sister loves to fly. I can think of few things that interest me less. I am horribly afraid of heights, have no desire at all, matter of fact I am sure I would totally freak out if made to fly. A lady I worked with hated more than anything to drive a car. I LOVE driving a car, and a stick shift is even more fun to me.

I have friends who love to go to movies, I cannot watch a movie to save my life, but hand me a book and I am VERY happy. Watch sports? No thanks.....sounds like torture to me. Take me to a parade, instead. Or a fireworks display.

Cook steaks on the grill, YUK.........make mine a hot dog. Burn it a little, please.

Out for a drink? Make mine water with LOTS of ice. Wanna make it fancy? Toss in some fresh lemon.

Manicure? ACK! I went a few times, HATED it VERY much. Hair salon? I gave that up before I hit puberty. I NEVERR liked what someone else did to my hair.

We are all different with different likes and dislikes, different things that we find pleasant. My sister prefers to go to the gym while I prefer to walk along the creek. One of my brothers prefers to go to the basketball games in the city, I prefer to go to the coffee shop on the corner.

Maybe this lady just loves to take care of children.

Martie

This is crazy for sure and te woman is a psychologist.

I don't think this point was made: You all sem to want her to make it to 78 so her kids will be "grown." My father died when I was 19 and I feel I never knew him as an adult.

My mother got Alzheimer's when I was 35. She lived another 12 years but it was not the same. So in my opinion kids need parents long after 18, at least if the relationship is good. Ex-difficult child is able to articulate these feelings and he isn't talking about the financial boost he might get.

I feel really sorry for these kids and the 6 year old, too.

Martie

SRL

All I can say is I'd take mono at 45 than twins at age 60 any day!!!

Why did this story make the news at all? Most likely because she wanted it to.

DDD

I had my easy child at the ripe old age of 19. easy child/difficult child was born to GFGmom
and came home to our house when I was 47....and husband was 55. My
husband and I did soccer, golf, basketball and baseball with easy child/difficult child
and I was President of his PTO for three schools. difficult child was in and
out of our home for years but moved in permanently when I was 62.
My husband and I do not have the energy we had ten years ago but we
still do OK for him.

The boys have a little sister 5 who usually visits about thirty
minutes a week at our house. She is energetic and darling and
we are pooped by the time she leaves. LOL! Yep, aging happens.

The other factor that many older parents don't "get" is that your
children are usually not welcome into the "inside" groups with their peers because 60 year old parents and 30 year old parents
don't "party" or establish a personal bond. easy child/difficult child was lucky
because he was gifted enough to be included in all the top groups
as a team member etc. I always contributed time to the teams &
as an extrovert was usually able to give the young moms distance.

Two years ago I co-chaired the middle school graduation dance
and it was apparent that I can no longer blend. That is just
life, and there are stages for everything. DDD

dreamer

while I was wheelchair bound, I did not "blend" very well, either, and prior to that I was not around to blend, due to working so many hours. But my kids did "fit in" and I was able to help partly becuz I had the time to do so more recently and my hours are much more compatible with chaperoning etc.
My youngest bro fit in quite nicely, but I think that had to do with my moms ability to chaperone everything and go everywhere and she had the money to be a huge contributor.

I think at any age there are always pros and cons and advantages and disadvantages. I also think mindset changes with age, and that can make a difference. SOmetimes a more positive difference.

When I hear about parents who have what I call "litters" of kids at one time, I always wonder how in the world does THAT work out? If you have 6tuplets (did that go past censor?) or more- are the relationships still similar or....is it assembly line parenting?
When mothers get pregnant who did not really want to--- how do they draw the energy and motivation to do it well? This woman is 60, she made a conscious decision to parent another child. This does not seem to have been a surprise or pushed on her or anything. She had to work at becoming a mother at this age. Certainly I would think that means she REALLY wanted this. And I would assume it means she has given thought to most (if not all) the angles. There are no guarantees. ANd yes, most of us always will need or want our mommy. It would be interesting to revisit this family in 10 and 15 years and again in 20 and 25 years. Who knows, maybe one of these twins (or both) will grow to contribute greatness to the world?
The world is full of good moms and great moms and mediocre moms and terrible moms. Yet very often kids grow in spite of their parents.

I am sending my best wishes to that family. Just as I would sent to any very young parents, or sick parents who pursue motherhood in spite of already having poor health, or parents with little or no money, or parents who have no family to support them (moral support etc) or any perfectly stable well standing parents. There are SO many reasons someone could cite when discussing someone elses having children. My sister once said something to my mother about not having children until you could afford them- and my mom looked her square in the face and said oh my, if I had done that, the only child I would have is your youngest brother. Oddly enough, out of all of us, my sister is the wealthiest, now, BUT it was my sister who refused to nurse becuz she did not want to give up her coctails. AND she refused to use baby formula becuz "it is too expensive and it smells" ANd while she railed at me for being a working mother (my husband was quite ill and could not work) - my sister got rude at me for working- and not staying home with my kids- my sister drops her kids off at her inlaws one weekend a month while she goes flying around the country.

We cannot judge a book by it's cover and things are not always as they seem.

We have no money at my house, and we are not all so young, but out of our whole family, it was me and my husband who took in my BiPolar (BP) nephew (my brothers stepchild) and raised him.

I do not know this lady. I do find it refreshing she enjoyed motherhood enough to want to do it one more time. And since she still has a 6 yr old, I have to believe she is not all so far removed from remembering how much energy young children take. (Truth is I am decideing lately that teens are the hardest and not necessarily difficult child ones, PCs ones can sure demand quite a bit of energy, too, WHEW!)
Besides that, I am busy reminding myself why I decided to have 3 kids, LOL. Why she had these twins, well, who knows? We all had our reasons for having our kids.

DDD

You know what, Dreamer..you're right. I didn't mean to say that
she was a bad person. I did mean to say that she has no idea
how she will feel ten years down the line..but none of us do know
until we are there AND it does vary. I have a sister who will be
72 in a couple of months and she teaches elementary school and
loves going to work every day. She does not have to work. She
retired from one school system and could only stand one year off.
She is a bundle of enthusiastic energy and gets by just fine on
six hours a night. She asks for the "most challenging" third
graders so she can "see" the results of her efforts when the
FCAT scores come in. Her "disadvantaged" students usually blow
the socks off of the other classrooms.

There is a huge difference between us all. Maybe this new Mom
is high energy, high loving and will be an example for all of us.
DDD