A year goes by... (mother in law)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
So it's been a year since husband cut mother in law's toxic influence out of our lives, and 7 months since father in law. Things have been a LOT calmer.

Friday night, mother in law emailed husband. We saw the subject line and... Ahem. Let's read this when we are NOT going to bed. So we waited till Saturday.

To paraphrase... She apologizes for the things she said. She was wrong to say them, and wrong to cast doubt on husband's abilities.

BUT... Yes, of course there's a BUT. "But lets continue not talking." Apparently it is SO much easier for her emotionally. And she does not miss the financial drain. (Scuze me, lady, but we were the ones trying to save you from yourself there by trying to keep you from spending so much money on garbage...) She *does* miss "[Annie] and the kid." And she loves us all very much.

Wow. The kid. For one, there are THREE of them - Belle, Pat and Rose. I know she very much dislikes Belle, and she didn't have time to get to know Rose (whose personality was just starting to emerge when we cut ties). So that must be PAT. Well, he has a NAME, as do the others.

GFGMIL... Yep, I'm glad she stays away. Not long ago, she told sister in law to bring over papers for husband to sign... I told sister in law... mother in law can mail them. Tell her to quit using you as a messenger.

dstc_99

Sounds like cutting the cord was the best option.

How nice to say you all are such a financial drain on her. Seriously, what a joke!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL dstc, she used to buy things - expensive things - for us. One year there were so many gifts under the tree it took up the entire room. I'm not kidding. And buying me a Wii Fit and Estee Lauder makeup CASE - one, I don't exercise, and two, I don't wear makeup often - and husband a $900 printer - and Belle a laptop when we specifically told her NOT to... According to sister in law and nephew, she's still always complaining about being broke. Sounds like UAN's difficult child/daughter in law.

dstc_99

Sounds like she is a financial drain on herself. I am certain no one (except maybe Belle) asked for those gifts. Let her be broke, well now happily not broke, at the expense of losing a family. Seems like she has her values out of whack.

S

Signorina

BUT... Yes, of course there's a BUT. "But lets continue not talking." Apparently it is SO much easier for her emotionally. And she does not miss the financial drain. (Scuze me, lady, but we were the ones trying to save you from yourself there by trying to keep you from spending so much money on garbage...) She *does* miss "[Annie] and the kid." And she loves us all very much.

I can't help but think she really wanted the last word...and now she can claim it is her choice to be out of touch.

Uggghhh, you definitely did the right thing by going no contact!

Oh boy.. a hot cup of crazy all right. Don't let youselves go down the rabbithole.Laugh, let it roll off your back. She wants to make you upset, but she is.....you are not!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL! OMG UAN! A hot cup of crazy. I LOVE IT!!!

And, yeah, Belle didn't really ask either. She ended up with things like gift cards for iTunes (with no way to redeem them), stuffed animals, REAL rabbit fur ear muffs... I got a pair of those too, and I'm terribly allergic...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sell the baby Uggs on e-bay. There's a huge market on there for gently used Ugg boot/shoes/slippers. I bought a pair of nearly new Uggs there and it was quick and easy.

Just take a close up picture and post with a description and minimum bid if desired.

I've always thought spending that kind of money on shoes for the teensy-tinies is ridiculous. They grow out of them so fast. Check the Ugg Australia website to get an idea of what the boots cost new so you know what to ask for them.