Abbreviations

Marguerite

in real life generally means "in the real world".

Don't forget the confusion from cultural differences. In my early days on this forum I often got my knuckles rapped (figuratively) for using terms which over here are in common usage, considered perfectly acceptable. For example, the term used to describe someone whose parents are not married - that has many very subtly different meanings depending on how it is used. We even have a charity named the "Order of Old Ba****s"which has done a lot of really valuable work in the community. All started by Sam Weller, a bloke in a pub in Nth Queensland...

Another Aussie term, also a NZ term, is also a term which people in other parts of the world find offensive because it is referring to sodomy. We don't use the term that way, we have other terms we use instead. For us, the word either refers to a person (as a person) as in "daft old b***er". Cockneys can substitute "codger" in that usage. But the other way we use it is as an expletive (a very mild one over here) which is basically saying, "blast it!" Or "gosh darn..."
If you ever come visit us (talking to you, Witz, in case you decide to go to NZ then hp across the ditch to Sydney) then please do not be offended by my language. I generally do not use bad language at all, but these two words are in my common usage because in Australia (and NZ) they are not considered offensive. But my, are they satisfying to use in the right context!

But of course, I can't use such words here, as I learned early on. So I substitute. "Codger". Or "blast it." Or "ratbag" - a classic very mild Aussie epithet which pretty much means "not nice person" or even "eccentric and unpredictable person you might otherwise quite like; just don't trust them to not chain you to the parliament house railings if you go out drinking with them".

And my favourite, first seen in a political cartoon in a Sydney uni satirical newspaper in the mid 70s - "circumcision scars on his neck". The meaning is synonymous with "Richard Cranium".
Think about it.

Marg

InsaneCdn

Hmmm....
Rather interesting follow on.

It seems like, after this thread appeared, that some of the acronyms discussed, showed up with definitions.
In particular, Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) and Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) - there were more, but those two I know for sure.

And then, today, somebody is posting about Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)... and the definition isn't there?
Looks like Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) isn't either...

Maybe something got lost?

DammitJanet

Koi is fish that is related to a goldfish but the word it is substituted for is C.r.a.p. because the censor wont let us say it. Now the censor will allow suck again I think, or maybe its just sucking. Lets see.

Lothlorien

in real life means in real life. A url is a web term for universal resource locator
Koi is not an acronym...it is a fish as others have stated. The word cr@p came from the toilet called the Crapper. It was one of the first marketed flush toilets. I don't think the word is something that is offensive. I'd rather hear that word than the sh-- word.

by the way, the sh-- word is actually an acronym. It meant "store high in transit" and was used in the shipment of bat guano. Because it was quite flammable, it needed to stored high and away from everything else being shipped.

Well, aren't I wealth of trivial information this morning? lol

buddy

Personally, the word cr@p came from the toilet called the Crapper
Laughing at myself for even finding this conversation interesting....guess i need the distraction....

Anyway, that is really interesting to me, I assumed it was the opposite. One takes a **** so the thing it is done in is called a Crapper. But that is what happens when one assumes! LOL

seriously

Crapper is the last name of the man that invented the modern flush toilet.

Didn't know about the bat guano though. So instead of sh** we could say BG for bat guano???

I too have puzzled over koi. Tried several different words starting with those letters but never came up with anything that made sense. Kind of Impulsive? King Of Idiots? Kernel Of Inspiration? Keeping Onions Inside??? Thanks for the explanation.

buddy

The Ellen DeGeneres show has people send in auto correct and texting errors taht are funny. One woman sent a msg. to her son...
it was something like:
mom to son: your great aunt has died, LOL
son to mom: that's sad mom, why do you think it is funny?
mom to son: It's not. why would you say that?
Son to mom: LOL means lots of laughs... why did you say that?
mom to son: I thought it meant Lots of Love...I sent it out to everyone!

I actually use lol as laughing out loud...which do you guys say it is??

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:rofl:

This is just making me laugh! Anyone who is creative enough, can get around the board censors and still get their point across.

Intelligent mules...

InsaneCdn

The point being... that if we have to get that creative to get around the censors, then it isn't going to get picked up by web-crawler bots and other such things either... and may be subtle enough that not everyone who finds the site picks up on it. It keeps things a wee tad more subtle, and keeps a lid on "over the top" profanity etc. I mean, if C-A-R-P is a problem, then... no point in trying stronger stuff!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
A while back - maybe a year ago - we had a heated discussion over the acronym for what the (frog? LOL). That particular word offends some, and I understand why. It doesn't offend me, but I'll keep it quiet if I know it does someone else.

Anyway, the acronym, because of what it stood for, also offended some. So out of courtesy on the board, I attempt to avoid anything close.

Though just now, when I came up with frog... I like that one. Tee hee...

Marguerite

Okay, friends. History lesson time. A toilet is called a Crapper because the pommy bloke who perfected the modern flushing toilet was Thomas Crapper. My sister has a wonderful newspaper article framed in their toilet. I have it memorised... the article was reviewing a book about this benefactor to humanity.

flushed with pride - the story of thomas crapper - Polperro Heritage Press ,Publisher, Worcestershire

The review on my sister's loo wall finishes with, "Many great inventors have had their names memorialised in the names of their inventions. Think of the macintosh, the davenport, wellingtons. Poor Thomas Crapper - he didn't have a chance."

And sorry, Loth, but "store high in transit" is not where that word comes form. I recall being taught at school that is was an Old English (Anglo-Saxon) word in common usage, not with any offensive connotations at all until the French became the ruling class in England. Then Anglo-Saxon words became the more vulgar usage and the French words considered more genteel. So we have the name of the animal, for example, from Old English, and the name of the food it produces becoming Middle English words (from the French. So the peasants would say "cow" and the cook in the castle would serve "beef" or "veal". And yes, some of our other favourite four letter words are also Old English in origin.

":censored2:" is not an acronym

Four-letter word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Snopes also has an interesting entry, but it draws heavily on the wikipedia reference above.

And yes, I'm a laugh a minute at trivia nights!

Marg