Abilfy commercial.

F

flutterbee

Janet, you make a good point about the drug ads giving some attention to a specific illness/disease/ailment. However, that is really not the intention of the drug manufacturers. Their intention is profit. The down side to this is that these illnesses/diseases/ailments become over- and incorrectly diagnosis'd and the drug companies rake in huge profits - which, of course, increases insurance rates. Once a generic for the drug is available, these ads go away and you don't hear so much about these issues anymore.

Here's an example:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24603237/

I'd much rather educate via public service bullentins, public health ad campaigns, etc than through a drug ad that is biased.

And, by the way, if I never hear another commercial for ED it will be fine with me. Especially when they show the couple being all romantic then the kids show up at the door. I never just drop in on my parents, but now I CAN'T. I can't get that image outta my head.

Lothlorien

Something like "This is Your Life. This Is Your Life When You Ignore Mental Health. Any Questions?"
With various pictures of all the celebreties in various distress, pantiless and the haggard mugshots. I like this idea!

DammitJanet

LMAO...this thread has gotten really funny.

I know that the drug commercials are to sell drugs. Well...its a long drawn out argument on drug companies and all that and I dont want to get into it really. The whole profit thing.

I think it would be funny to see a commercial something along the lines of that insurance commercial about teens that go out driving every weekend and never come home again. That really hits home. Maybe they could have a commercial with a huge football stadium and show people with cards on them who have had mental illness effect their lives.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Maybe they could have a commercial with a huge football stadium and show people with cards on them who have had mental illness effect their lives.

Another great idea! I like it!

Here's the biggest problems with mental health in this country:

1. No one wants to talk about it.
2. Stigma, shame, misconceptions are rampant.
3. Everyone thinks it's only a problem somebody ELSE has.

It needs to come OUT of the closet and dealt with HEAD ON and at EVERY level of human development. Because the COSTS of IGNORING it are ENORMOUS at every level of society. So I think the football stadium visual would be perfect :D

Has anyone here ever considered submitting their kid's mental health case to Make-A-Wish? If I were picked, I'd wish for a nation-wide mental health PSA.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I worked in advertising ~ it's about what the client wants to portray & what they have to legally "acknowledge" for lack of a better word, about their product. While the FDA is cracking down on ads that don't list possible interactions & side effects, it still has a long way to go.

If you look at the percentages of people with dyskensia versus the population of people taking the medication, it's a very small but hurting % of users of that medication.

Right or wrong, advertising has made the world has more aware of mental illness in ways that haven't happened before; more empathetic, I can't say.

tinamarie1

I love to hear difficult child's response to those ads..it makes me giggle. I remember a year or so ago when the lunesta one first came out. difficult child sang softly..."take lunesta and butterflies can fly out of YOUR nose too" lol
not so funny are the herpes ads that you are forced into having to explain to your 10 yr old son what herpes is and how people get it. urggggh!
im sorry if you have herpes and don't know there are medications to treat it, somethings wrong. are we in a society where people actually walk into the docs office and say "i think i need X medication that i saw advertised on tv"???
so sad

Sara PA

or wrong, advertising has made the world has more aware of mental illness in ways that haven't happened before; more empathetic, I can't say.
My guess would be that there is less empathy because there is this widespread belief that there's a pill that can fix anything and everything. So, if someone has uncontrolled "mental illness" (I hate the term), the reaction is that he should just go to the doctor and get medications. The phrase "did you forget to take your medications" has become the new "you're crazy". We've all run into a school official or legal officials or medical personnel or all of the above who blame our parenting or the child's poor choices because, after all, the child is medicated -- that should fix him. But we all know that these medicines can cause psychiatric adverse reactions -- including violence and homicidal ideation -- that can make the child far, far worse. Many of those children -- and adults -- are the ones who make the news. It isn't the medications that get the blame but the "mental illness" thus labeling people with "mental illness" even more negatively than before. And much of this is because the advertising to both doctors and the general public make people believe that these drugs are somehow magic.

How far into this journey did each of us have to come before we realized there were precious few magic pills out there which can make our kids "'normal"? Life just ain't like those commercials.

And don't get me started on the handwringing phrase "get him the help he needs" which is a restatement of that idea that there is a way -- usually a pill -- to fix "mental illness".