JulienSam

My 6 yo old was on it, starting at 2 mg, moved to 5 mg and finally 7.5 mg, from October through last week. It worked wonderfully for 3 1/2 months, with the exception of weight gain (which we knew would be a likelihood). Starting 2 weeks ago he began having major meltdowns/rages over things that in the previous months would have not caused a problem at all. After 2 major discipline issues at school (including hitting/kicking other kids, throwing things), we decided yesterday with his psychiatrist to take him off the Abilify and start Geodon. Last night was our first dose, so I'm not sure what to say about the Geodon yet.

So Abilify worked well for us for a while -- but not in the long term.

Good luck!

Julie

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I haven't tried it. I've had horrible dystonic reactions to Zyprexa and Seroquel and now take an older AP.

That said, I have a friend who uses Abilify and does great on it. Like anything else with medications of any kind: responses and reactions are a very individual thing.

My sister takes Lamictal and Seroquel for her BiPolar (BP) and does great. Lamictal makes me hallucinate. Again, it's all individual.

pepperidge

My son took it. A low dose (under 5 mg) seemed to help with focus at school. Not so much mood, but less impulsive I think. Over 5 mg he was possibly developing TD also when he was younger it made him wet his pants during the day (he was over 7 and hadn't had problems previously). We finally d/c it because he was still so moody and argumentative.

We've just started concerta. it is really helping him at school, but boy the rebound is really awful. He takes .25 mg Risperdal in evening, psychiatrist wants to go higher, I am afraid of wt gain which was a bit of an issue on Abilify.