? about Occupational Therapist (OT), without IEP for sensory issues

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Jessica mom of 2, Oct 1, 2007.

  1. Jessica mom of 2

    Jessica mom of 2 New Member

    I have a question about what is available to my child without an IEP. I will post this in the Special Education forum as well.

    I am not going into it but my difficult child 2 needs the help of an Occupational Therapist (OT). She has some sensory issues. How can she recieve Occupational Therapist (OT) at school? We need to go through the whole evaluation process to recieve anything right? Well she is smart as a ever and they are going to think I am nuts when I mention a conference because I would like her to be evaluated by the school.

    She doesn't have speech issues or any delays, but her sensoory problems are through the roof!

    She needs help but only with sensory problems. She is basically a typical ODD child but has no diagnosis of any kind.

    Do any of you know what I need to do 1st?

  2. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    You would do better to get a private Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation because the school will only assess and treat sensory issues as they hinder her in the educational setting. You will get a much more thorough evaluation going private.

    Yes, you would have to go through the whole process to get Occupational Therapist (OT) at school.
  3. timer lady

    timer lady Queen of Hearts


    Not sure that with-o an IEP your difficult child will qualify for any of the Special Education services. Having said that, you might check in with the pro's in Special Education board.

    I agree with SRL, the only issue addressed in Occupational Therapist (OT) at school are the ones that directly affect your difficult children education & ability to learn.

    Get the private evaluation if you can.