About to make a car payment or two for our dentist...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
husband needed a crown replaced this month. We have dental coverage through his new-ish employer, but apparently, certain things (like crowns) have a waiting period before you are eligible for coverage. We did not KNOW this, and apparently, the dentist office didn't know this either. Just found out today that we will have to pay the whole tab of $1,250 for this crown, which, if he'd waited until this summer, we'd only have to pay for 40% of that amount.

I'm a little irritated tonight. :angry-very:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG!!! :surprise:

And this is why my mouth is such a mess. ugh Can't afford the dentist right now, and no insurance.........with prices like that.....no way!!

Of course by the time I can finally get there........it will most likely be denture time.:tongue:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Even with our dental coverage we have to shell out $1000 per crown. It bites (haha, no pun intended)!

Many learning hospitals have dental clinics for less expensive and quality dental care, Lisa. It's worth checking out because they often work payments on a sliding scale as well. I have sent many people to them and I'm even taking difficult child there to have her wisdoms removed - because it's about $500 less there!

DammitJanet

Ouch! Tonys teeth are killing him and we are slowly getting his teeth pulled.

Our teaching hospital doesnt just offer low cost care to everyone, you have to apply and they only take so many people per month on a lottery basis. You cant just go up and make an appointment. I think that is odd.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We have dental insurance but it only covers half the cost of anything major (a filling is major) and they only pay $1000 a year out per family member.

This is the first year I haven't blown my entire benefits on a root canal and crown! WOOHOO! I got all my fillings redone except one, so my cleaning and last filling have to wait til next year. I have $11 left of insurance benefits! lol

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I can't believe the prices you folks are paying for dental work. I just had a solid gold crown put in for 850 dollars. I live in a town of 8K people and there are several dentists in practice here. I don't know what competition is like; but I have a very good dentist up here.

I know dentistry in the larger cities costs considerably more, but that seems ridiculous to me.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
GN, everything is expensive where we are :(

Good news, though! husband contacted his HR office. Apparently there is NOT supposed by any kind of waiting period for ANY of the dental coverage. They are going to work with the insurance agent to hopefully get this fixed. We should hear back by Friday.

KTMom91

I hear you, Chicken Lady. Hubby has several teeth that need work, but there's no way it'll happen right now.

Knock on wood that both Miss KT and I have really good teeth...no cavities!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I had terrible teeth. I had no dental insurance for years combined with a severe dental phobia. I wound up with my upper teeth spending each night soaking on the bathroom counter.

What got me in to the dentist was an emergency situation. I had a cracked tooth that abcessed and HAD to be pulled. My lower teeth were rotting out of my head and I got up the nerve to have an assessment done and see what could be done health and appearance wise for my remaining lower teeth. The upshot was that I wound up having all the remaining lower teeth other than the crown filled and restored.

My mouth looks good and I am now able to have dental work done without general anesthesia. This is a heckuva thing for me. I got my replacement crown put on this AM and all is well.

The worst of it was getting the temp crown pried out of my face (back tooth), but it was still all done in under a half hour. Now, all I need to get done is a denture reline and a good cleaning (they scaled the roots as each tooth was worked on)

I had to take money out of limited savings to do this, but I figure it as being a sort of gift to myself.