Absolutely Horrifying

tiredmommy

There has apparently been an airplane crash near the Buffalo International Airport less than two hours ago. Witnesses are reporting a fireball and a home was struck. There are unconfirmed reports of many victims from the plane.

Those poor people! :crying:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I saw that. I had Travis turn on the news as soon as you posted. How absolutely nitemarish this has to be for those poor families. :(

At one point they had thought the plane landed. But I guess the tower said they just dropped off radar.

My prayers are with those families tonight. OMG

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I just saw this on our local station. They're saying 49 people are dead (40 on the commuter plane and 9 on the ground).

TM, I'm so glad to know you are safe -- I was very worried when I heard about this.

tiredmommy

Gcvmom- Local stations are saying 44 passengers, 4 crew and 1 dead on the ground. It hasn't been confirmed yet, though.

We flew in on the same type of plane from Newark with Colgan Air a few weeks back. It's just heartbreaking for those family members waiting.

Wiped Out

Staff member
TM,
I just read about this before logging on. I'm glad you are safe. When I first read this, before reading which suburb my heart dropped for a second. I have relatives that live in DePew (spelling is wrong I'm sure) very close to the airport.

This is so sad, my prayers are with all of the families.

Lothlorien

I'm glad you are safe too. What about the people in the house? It was so late, I would think they were home. They said the plane left from NJ.

I

Ilovemyson

I wanted to let you know that Beaner and I are fine. It is about 20 minutes from me, about 10 miles from where I used to live with R and it is only about 10 or so house away from R's brother.

Please keep their families in our prayers. Also please keep our entire area in your prayers as this is going to impact our area greatly.

It has been confirmed that 50 have died. 49 on the plane and one on the ground.

tiredmommy

Two people from the house were taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. There may have been another off-duty flight crew member onboard that could be the 49th victim.

TerryJ2

I saw the news.
I've flown that company's commuter flight many times.
Early repts say there was ice on the wings.
I remember sitting on the tarmac for 4 hrs once, while we waited in line to be de-iced. It stunk. It gave me a headache. But I kept reminding myself, I'm alive. I'm safe. This is a good thing.
I am so sorry for all those people. And for the airline. (One of the pilots was a woman. I love it when I hear a woman's voice come over the speaker. Just a throwback to my feminist 70s days.)
The sad, scary part is that when there's a car accident, it wipes out 1 or 2 people. with-an airplane, it wipes out dozens. :(

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ilovemyson........so glad you and beaner are safe!!! Thanks for checking in.

Have they said if they've recovered the black box thingie yet?

Marguerite

I'm so sorry to hear this. Plane accidents don't happen often, thank goodness, because when they do they really involve many more people.

It brings it home even more, how lucky and how skilled was the pilot of the plane that landed in the Hudson (saw them on Letterman last night).

TM, it must be such a shock for your cousin and everyone else at their work. Not to mention all the people living in the area. Very upsetting.

Marg

TerryJ2

I know. I couldn't help but think of the pilot who landed on the Hudson. I wonder what he would have done with-ice on the wings and a de-icer that didn't work.
If you've got enough gas, can you fly to a warmer place? What do I know?
So sad.

KTMom91

TM, so sorry for your cousin.

ilovemyson, glad that you and Beaner are safe.

Can't remember which news show I was watching, but they were interviewing a pilot who said that with ice on the wings, the plane had to be going faster to compensate, and he thought that the pilots didn't realize there was that much ice on the wings and had slowed down too much. He was saying the de-icer must not have been working correctly. Very sad.