Accountability for weight loss ??

B

bigbear11

Seems like many of us are trying to lose weight and get in better shape. Anyone interested in sharing, providing motivation and helping keep each other accountable?

I am not terribly overweight but I do have the middle age (ouch... that hurts to say out loud!) creep and have accumulated an extra 25 pounds over the last 5 years or so. I have reached that point where I do NOT want to go up another size in clothes. Plus, I didn't fair so well in the genetic role of the dice. So far so good, but my parents are diabetic, hypertensive with high cholesterol plus other stufff so I know if I don't get back in better shape my odds of developing those issues are quite high. So I have started the myfitnesspal.com and am really trying to make better choices that I can stick to long term rather than "dieting". I am also walking and doing weights. However, I have some upcoming surgery that will put a stop to that for awhile.

So my weight loss goal was 25 pounds (and that includes those last 10 that are sooooo hard to get rid of!!). Right now I still have about 21 to go.

DammitJanet

I am so not the person to ask about losing weight because I am morbidly obese but this summer I was really sick...really and I lost about 20 pounds while being sick. I have managed to keep off between 15 and 20 of those pounds. I fluctuate with those last 5 pounds depending on which scale I get on. I am not eating much different though I have noticed I am not as hungry and I have changed my sweet tooth intake. I am on a different type of sweet. I have developed a liking for sugar free jello, greek yogurt and Snackwell cookies. OMG are they yummy! I also like the 80 calorie ice cream pops instead of a giant bowl of ice cream sundae. I want badly to try the frozen greek yogurt when I can find them. I wasnt a huge yogurt fan before but greek yogurt has converted me. I also love string cheese and applesauce.

Now all this may be horrible for normal people. I am not a normal person. Im trying to eat more smaller meals instead of nothing all day then a bigger supper and snacking all night long. But I still eat my sugar free jello or yogurt or even some snackwell cookies at night and I havent gained any weight back. I cant exercise or walk yet. I was supposed to go to do some pool stuff but I only get a little over a thousand dollars in PT for a lifetime cap and I am afraid to use that up for PT water therapy in case I ever do get my knees done. I would be left without any access to PT then. I may try to see how much signing up for the local fitness center would cost after xmas. I cant afford it before then. We dont have a Y here.

LittleDudesMom

Another good site that I'm using is myfitnesspal.com - I like it because it has a food journal that I use EVERY SINGLE DAY! I plan my meals for the next day the day before (though I plan ahead for the next week on Thursdays since I grocery shop on Friday) so I don't have to think the day of. I eat 5 times a day with my evening meal being the largest (I split up 1500 calories) with fiber and protein at every meal. The food journal breaks everything down by calories, carbs, fats, protein, etc.

I like the food journal because it's personal accountability. They also have a wonderful tool I use for recipes. I can put all the ingrediants of a favorite recipe and it breaks it down by servings -- that way I can make changes if I choose to make it healthier and it is a permanent part of my account.

I'm a big cook ahead person and do several protein servings and vegetables over the weekend and freeze for the week. I also make egg white omelets in muffin tins on Sunday afternoons (an equivalent of one egg per cupcake cup) with roasted veggies (I roast a big batch on Sunday mornings and use all week) and about 1/2 a teaspoon of grated parm cheese (pour egg white mixture almost to the top of a muffin tin cup sprayed with cooking spray, add chopped roasted veggies and a tad of parm cheese and bake at 350 for 10-12 mins - that way they are firm on the sides but still a tad soft in the center since you need to micro them before eating - store in a plastic storage container lined with wax paper). I make between 6 and 8 a week. In the morning I just take two out of the fridge, cut them up and micro for a minute. That with a slice of whole grain toast or Ezekiel bread with no marg or butter but sugar free jelly is my breakfast 3-4 times a week! Prepping on the weekends really helps me during the week not have to think which, for me, translates into better choices! Another one of my favorite breakfasts is one tomato chopped, 1/2 avocado chopped, and two ounces of turkey or chicken (I buy the thick cut Oscar Meyer) chopped. I put it in a little bowl, add some s&p and spray with balsamic spritz (in the salad aisle-think it's wishbone) and stir - love it! Protein from the avocado and turkey and fiber from the tomato!

Good luck!

Sharon

DammitJanet

Sharon, would that tomato/avocado stuff be good for a lunch or would you have to increase the size? That sounds amazingly good. I love everything in it. Actually that on a roll up is something I used to eat for lunch quite often when I was working.

InsaneCdn

Janet - 5-6 small meals per day is actually a better way to eat for most of us.

Try to get protein into the mix each time you eat. Having fruit? grab some cheese. Or a few nuts. It really slows down the blood-sugar spike.

I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague. They just make things worse, in my opinion. Naturally lower calorie versions are fine - many muffins, for example, can be made with 1/2 to 1/4 the sugar called for in the recipe. (doesn't work with cookies... <wink>)

Do look at the source of your calories, and see if there is a way to get more food value for the same number of calories.

Star*

call 911........call 911
NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.....................

repeat.......look at evil food item...........repeat.

Californiablonde

I'm trying to lose weight too. I gained 25 pounds and began dieting over the summer. So far I've lost ten pounds, although I may have gained some of that weight back over the weekend. I majorly cheated both days. I don't have the heart to weigh myself till Friday cause I'm scared of how much I gained. I am hoping to have lost those extra couple of pounds by Friday. Anyway, I'm following a 1200 calorie a day diet. So far it's working. Good luck to ya!

Star*

call 911........call 911
OKAY add my bagle butt to the list........

If I had P90 x I'd be there by Christmas........but I can't afford it......and I'm not buying it and the Library doesn't have it. And I'm so not motivated to save for it.........rather buy oreos.

B

bigbear11

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.....................

repeat.......look at evil food item...........repeat.

Evil food item - I love that... its true too. I just need to remember to keep telling myself that and to remember that it's not forever. That is one reason that I so like the myfitnesspal.com site is that I feel like I can have whatever in moderation. I am so trying to make changes that I can stick to for the long haul not do something quick and then go back to old habits. I want to be the turtle... slow and steady winning the race!!!