Ace, the wonder dog, is eating Christmas ornaments...help!

DDD

This is the first year we have had a live tree since Ace joined the family two or three years ago. Actually I didn't even realize that until former easy child/difficult child pointed it out. Hmmm...guess I've spent longer on auto pilot than I thought.

Anyway Friday I found Ace had taken an ornament off the tree and had it in his crate. I got it out of there and quietly scolded Ace who hung his head in shame. Twice Saturday Ace managed to remove two more ornaments (he actually chose the same mfg covered in different holiday yarns) and again I got them with hooks still attached...in the evening he had the whole thing in his mouth! Since they were all the same mfg I took all of them off the tree hoping to solve the problem.

Yikes...this morning it was a styrofoam ornament that husband and his children made together when they were in elementary (now 50's) with ribbon, sequins etc. from a dime store. They have sentimental value to all of them. This time the hook is missing. I'm worried. by the way I left the lights on all night on the tree in hopes that the slight heat would impact Ace's nose and so he wouldn't sneak in the dark.
Not.

So what to heck can I do other than buy a double oversized babygate to keep Ace out of the living room. Scolding him doesn't work because the concept is too complex and "after the fact". I am not going to give up the tree. Any ideas. DDD

by the way, Texas easy child daughter who offered Ace a home decided that her Dad would be too heartbroken if Ace wasn't part of his life and really fears it might result in a health crisis. She has a loving heart and believes this to be true so...Ace is here for the duration unless we let easy child/difficult child take him to his new house. Sigh.

buddy

JJ pulled off a wooden ornament and chewed it....tried to get another then knocked the tree down. Scared the heck out of him and he ran upstairs and hid. So far hasn't gone near it again but when I'm not downstairs he is up with a board blocking the stairs and if we're gone he is either with us or in his crate. Maybe those noisy Christmas mats for the front door! Put them around the tree to scare him? ( Halloween screaming kind may be on clearance ).

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have put xmas trees in those old play yard type playpens with success.

This year the tree will be in the livingroom with a baby gate preventing maggie from getting into the room. She's been literally taught not to jump the gate, and her having disobey once and tried to jump it and having it crash loudly and hang her up was enough to permanently reinforce it.

Although I may have to plan better what I put out into the rest of the house that she could possibly see as a chew toy.

DDD

My husband is going to pale...but...online I have checked out Walmart's gates and there is one that is extra wide and looks like white wrought iron that will block the living room. I've whined on the Board for over a year about Ace being on what used to be the "good" furniture thanks to husband. Hmmm...I'm going to gate off the LR/DR and keep it gated year round. Stanley Steemer will charge me a mint but I'm going to get the furniture cleaned AGAIN. Then, by jove, I am going to reclaim my right to read in peace, sit with-o hair or slobber and "do nothing" but listen to beautiful music with-o company. I deserve it. I'm going to do it. Aha! DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Those are what I buy when I can find them. I love them. Travis just picked up one for maggie to keep her from the main house when we need to, as in when Connor is over here. More than worth the money. :) I love that they have a door to walk through too instead of trying to climb over the thing. lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
A puppy playpen could go around the tree........OR........at the end of the hall to keep him out......(idea wise) you'd probably need a taller one for Ace.