Acne Advice?

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
easy child has had pretty rough acne outbreaks for the past several years, since reaching TeenHood....

Tried ProActive but it Burned his skin, sorta made things worse.

I'm thinking Phisoderm or something along those lines. He'd like a combination Body/Face Wash, so he doesn't need to drag around all different products.

Any feedback? What worked/didn't work for you/yours?

Thanks

Peace

I give my kids otc products with salicylic (I can't spell) acid in them. For now, they seem to help. I would have your easy child try the products on the inside of his arm, where it bends, for a few days before trying it on his face. If he has a bad reaction, at least it won't be on his face. I agree that a gentle cleanser such as phisoderm might be a good idea. WFEN

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #3333FF"> a lot depends on what type of acne he has. has he seen a dermatologist about this? sometimes a few courses of antibiotics can do wonders. be careful of acutane tho. there are reports of it causing depression/suicide. it comes with-a raft of cautions (husband worked for hoffmann la roche during all the controversy).

kris
</span> </span> </span>

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I think those new facial "throw away" cloths that are out are great. I occasionally still break out and these are great just to pull out and use to wipe off the dirt and you don't even need to be near water to use them. I haven't checked with the stores but bet they make some aimed toward acne....may not be cheap, but could help keep face clean....

slsh

member since 1999
Tea tree oil has worked great for Boo. I think it's a natural antiseptic (don't quote me). I just dab a little bit on his break out areas and it keeps him quite clear. Plus, if he does break out, it brings down the redness in 24 hours. Has a strong smell but does not dry out the skin (Boo's anyway) because it really is an "oil".

DDD

We use washing clothes and change the pillow case every day to
avoid problems. One easy child years ago had to go to the Dermatologist
for regular care, but the other kids including the two I have now
just need to avoid rolling around on used pillow cases. DDD

K

Kjs

I have a soap that the Dr. recommended. When used consitently it really works. But when you stop, it seems to reappear. Only trouble is I am at work and I cannot think of the name of it. Is is for sensitive skin too, so it doesn't hurt. Just check back later this evening and I will put the name out here. It is over the counter soap in a pump bottle.

smallworld

I'd second a trip to the dermatologist to check out the type of acne and the appropriate medications to treat it. My son was recently rxed Benzaclin as well.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Thanks all for the great input! I'm printing this topic & will do some more recon.

Hasn't seen the dermatologist for this problem, but was being treated by the dermo for warts over the past 4 years. Now, we just go to the local doctor & they freeze the warts just the same as the dermo did, for a fraction of the price & no travel time! Not interested in going back to the dermo, but will check with GP next week & see what his opinion is.

Thanks again! Kj- I'll check back later, too.

Peace

K

Kjs

sorry I didn't get back to you last night. Fell a sleep.
The name of the soap the doctor gave us was called Cetaphil.
Now you must use it everytime you wash your face. It worked wonders. But, if it is a bad case, you may want to get the advice of a dermitologist.

witzend

Well, I had terrible acne as a kid, and still have bad skin. It's oily within a 1/2 an hour of washing, and 'acne' products made it flaky, but it was still oily too.

I finally figured "what the heck" and tried some selsun blue "medicated" dandruff shampoo on my face. Hey, the stuff around my chin and hairline was kind of flaky and inflamed, and it couldn't hurt. Much to my surprise, the line of really stubborn stuff that I always had at my temples and chin and forehead is essentially gone. I still have huge pores and oily skin, but not anything like before.

I am careful to wash twice daily, once with selsun blue, once with a girly type face wash, and to use a moisturizer on it morning and night. If I use something too drying, my face over produces oil, and it's self defeating.