Acne past age fifty !

Nomad

Staff member
Sorry such a weird topic. I just got back from Thanksgiving with family. I was very tired while there...some of my autoimmune stuff no doubt. But, not terrible. I got a pimple and was surprised. I put peroxide on it and it went away. However, now I have three more! No white head. Large. Very red...hence very noticeable pimples. W.t. Heck? I do t own pimple creams etc. can someone suggest a natural product ? Has anyone had this happen to them before?

New Leaf

Well, I do not know why we need to go through puberty twice (actually, reverse puberty) and suffer hot flashes, wrinkles, silver hair, turkey necks (sorry Ernesto) gravitational forces creating saggy skin, boobs, and then :censored2: pimples, but yes, I have had them.
:groan:

I keep cream handy, but have heard that the old fashioned toothpaste works, not the new gels.
Dermatologists will say zits are not food related, but I swear I get them when I eat too many nuts.

Good luck to you Nomad. At least it is a temporary thing.Sigh.
leafy

Scent of Cedar *

Have you changed moisturizer or cleanser or laundry detergent?

My skin is very dry, and very sensitive. I use a special moisturizer from the dermatologist. So far this is working for me, but I typically will develop allergic responses to most products I use routinely.

Even Cetaphil is not appropriate for my skin.

If I change laundry products, the pillow case may contain enough soap or fabric softener residue to cause an allergic reaction.

Or sometimes, when the weather changes and there is less humidity in the air, I use moisturizer more often and that creates a problem.

Cedar

Copabanana

Nomad,

You have gotten good information. Environmental (soap, makeup), hormonal, diet, stress.

I would go to the doctor, to run it by her.

COPA

nlj

I get spots (zits) whenever I eat chocolate. They usually appear the day after I've eaten a bar or two. I'm not sure if it's some type of allergy or if it's the sugar and fat content. I don't agree that they're not diet related. If you put crap in your body it appears somewhere. I find drinking plenty of water helps. They usually clear up within a couple of days.

AppleCori

My skin reacts to changes in the weather.

When it goes from fall to real winter, or winter back to spring, and when I travel to a warmer climate in the winter, I will get breakouts.

Nomad

Staff member
Hmmm...last two posts! I did eat some diff. things at TG. Some pumpkin candy and we went to a sushi place a few days before...def. some different things.

And yes, I was stressed. There are family members who are vegan and some (mostly one) has made an issue of meat being served in the past. Feelings were hurt etc. it was annoying and stressful. I was on edge that it would happen again. However, it ended up ok.

Also, one kinda distant relative ended up sitting next to me and wasn't really mean or anything, but just a bit grumpy and struggled to make conversation. I did my best, but it was stressful.

Plus...our difficult child daughter was back home and I never know when this will blow up in my face. Lots of weird texts. She will be with us at Xmas time. Hard to say if this is good or bad. Often a no win with Difficult Child.

We had our dog with us at the place we were staying and for some reason she was waking up at all hours to go to the bathroom. 3:30 one morning. 5 am the others. She usually wants to go out around 7ish. Much earlier! More stress...and very tiring.

Nothing huge...but stressors all over the place and yes, some diff. foods.

:)

susiestar

Roll With It
I get zits and am only a few years from 50. For me (and many people I know), they are the first sign that I am getting infection of some type.

I have a product suggestion that will sound odd but works better and far faster than the acne creams on the market. The product is Burn Jel Plus and you can get it in the first aid section of most drugstores. Wallie world does not usually carry it though, at least not here. The product contains lidocaine, aloe and tea tree oil among other things. Applying it clears up a zit several days faster than not using it, at least for my kids and I. I also use it for many other first aid things, including rashes, splinters and burns. It is really great stuff and in my opinion every house should have a bottle even if they never have a zit.

I hope your zit is short lived and does not return. ((hugs))

Nomad

Staff member
I forgot to add..there was a change in weather too! Many have mentioned stress. Then there is the food. Seems there is much that may have precipitated this.

Susiestar...that product sounds awesome! Thanks!

susiestar

Roll With It
It is truly amazing. The company doesn't advertise it for anything but burns but in my opinion it should be advertised for acne. Just using that helped my daughter stop picking at her acne because it helped stop the pain. Her acne is very painful and the prescription stuff the doctors gave her just made all of her skin hurt. but the Burnjel doesn't irritate and helps the pain and helps heal the acne. It is amazing stuff.

susiestar

Roll With It
If this is shingles, make SURE your doctor prescribes lidocaine patches, brand name is Lidoderm but generic works just as well. You can cut them into any shape to fit anywhere and they are amazing. My dad's doctor didn't know they could be cut (packaging says they can). The patches were the only thing that helped him when he had shingles. He says his open heart surgery wasn't as bad to go through as shingles - not even having to eat vegetables for the first time ever was as bad as the shingles! (he always told us he was allergic to veggies)

One thing that may help to prevent future outbreaks if this IS acne or a rash is oil cleansing. It is amazing for skin at any age. It does not need to be expensive and you don't need any expensive oil mix from the beauty store. in fact, from what I have seen and experienced, it is actually better if you do NOT buy a commercial facial oil cleansing product, esp if you have sensitive skin or acne.

You can get your stuff from a natural food store or most from a regular grocery. In fact, if you go to a Whole Food or Sprouts type store, I urge you to get most oils from the grocery section. They are cheaper and since they are made to go inside you, they are without additives. You need castor oil, which you may need to find in the skin care section. The other oils are up to you. Generally a blend is 1/4 to 1/3 castor oil (more for oily skin, less for older or dry skin) and the oil of your choice for the rest. Good oils to use are grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, shea oil, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, rice bran oil or jojoba oil. If you have skin that dries easily, skip the castor oil completely. I know that olive and coconut oils are really popular but do NOT use them on your skin. They are very heavy and clog pores, esp the coconut oil. Honestly, I cannot think of a good use for coconut oil at all, and I don't use olive oil on my skin. My favorite oil is rice bran oil - so gentle and absorbs so fast and is very light. Shea oil is my next fave, but must be ordered online. Here is a great article about oil cleansing: http://www.crunchybetty.com/trying-...ng-method-tips-for-flawless-oil-cleansed-skin

The basic routine for oil cleansing is to put a bit of the oil blend in your palm and rub your hands together. Then rub it into your face for about a minute (it will take most makeup off, so it saves that step). Then wet a washcloth in the hottest water you can stand and put it on your face for a minute or two (reheat/wet as needed). Then wipe your face off and dry it. On days you want to exfoliate, put a teaspoon of sugar in your hand, add enough oil to moisten it, and use it as a scrub. The sugar is great for your skin and does a great job. If the sugar is too rough as an exfoliant, either change to superfine sugar (in the baking aisle) or use plain uncooked oatmeal instead. Can be quick or old fashioned oats, and will require more oil than the sugar.

I generally have to wash the rags on hot after soaking in water and dawn for an hour and rinsing very well (so no bubbles in the washer). Or I get a bundle of what Sam's calls "shop towels" but are the size of washrags and are cotton, sold for about $18 for 100 and then I just throw them away because it can be hard to get the oil out. But this is worth it because it is still cheaper if you add the cost of the oils and the shop towels and compare it to the cost of many commercial facial cleansing products, esp if you consider that you may not want or need face creams after oil cleansing.

It will take a couple of weeks for your skin to adjust to oil cleansing and to find the right blend of oils for you. I find it well worth it as my skin is better than it EVER was and so is Jessi's, which is amazing in my opinion. We spent YEARS trying to find something for her skin and NOTHING worked until this.

Oh, we do find that sometimes J's skin is a bit too oily after she cleanses (I think she isn't rinsing well enough, but what does a mom know?). The solution we have found is Simple' Micellar Water. It looks like water and you rub it in with a cotton ball or pad. No rinsing. It binds to excess oil and pulls it off. At WM it is about $6 and it seems to work well on her nose and eyes as she sometimes was having problems with her eye makeup creasing/running after she cleansed if she couldn't wait an hour or so before putting makeup on. I don't have this problem though.

Nomad

Staff member
Doesn't seem to be shingles. I got some soap for oily skin and clearisil and it seems better. But, I'm monitoring.

Scent of Cedar *

I am going to try oil cleansing. I read something about olive oil cleansing about two weeks ago. I did it, and it dried my skin and now, I have some little red spots. It was interesting to read that olive oil may not be the best oil to use. I will try almond and report back.

Cedar

Lil

In my case, I know very well what causes the occasional break-out.

Menopause.

Because puberty, 40 years of periods, pregnancy and childbirth wasn't enough for the female body.

Now I get to enjoy wrinkles, gray hair, hot flashes whiskers if I don't pluck, AND pimples.

Getting older sucks.

susiestar

Roll With It
If you are going to try oil cleansing, commit to doing it for a month no matter what. You likely will break out after a week or ten days as your skin adjusts to the new routine. This isn't just for oil cleansing - any new skin care routine will do this. Or at least this has been my experience and that of most people that I have spoken with.

Also be aware that a mixture of different types of oils is generally very helpful as each oil has different properties. Castor oil is often used as it helps to deep clean the skin, but it can be harsh so you might not want it in your blend. I use about 1/4 castor oil, 1/4 grapeseed oil, 1/2 rice bran oil. Then I add bit of essential oil for scent. I highly recommend rice bran oil as it is super gentle, light feeling and very soothing. I bought a large bottle of the rice bran oil at Big Lots of all places!

I have found a lot of blogs about oil cleansing, so I am sure you will be ale to find some that are helpful for you.