Addiction recovery support meeting

Nancy

Hey Sig no way are you taking a break. We need all the support we can get here in our al-anon group. I haven't seen anything to make me think your foot is in your mouth so you just stay put where you are lady ;). Besides I have put my foot in my mouth plenty of times and I'm still here lol.

Nancy

T

toughlovin

I agree Sig..... I see no reason for you to take a break. I think I slightly disagreed with you on the definition of an addict but that was just me making a finer point.... was there somewhere or something else that made you feel like you put your foot in your mouth?

And remember we all have our own baggage here that makes us react to statements that are made and since it is online it is harder to discrene the feelings behind what was said.

FWIW I believe my son is also genetically predisposed to addiction because once he started smoking pot he got into it and other drug use really fast and furious. It was never casual use like many kids do. He smoked pot for the first time in December and by march was smoking it several times a day... not that we figured it out right away but by May we knew he was in serious trouble.

TL

dashcat

Sjg,
If everyone who put their foot (feet?) in their mouth here took a break, these forums would be empty! So stick around! (besides, I don't think you did put your foot in your mouth)...

Kathy813

Staff member
Sig, I understood what you were saying. When my difficult child first started counseling, we were also asked about any family members that might have substance abuse or mental health issues. The counselor was just trying to find if there was a genetic component. I don't think you put your foot in your mouth, at all.

Please don't go anywhere. I need my support group!!

~Kathy

DammitJanet

Most doctors ask for family history...I just didnt like that verbiage I guess. Sorry. I tend to be very touchy about being on pain medications because so many people today in the media keep calling us addicts. It ticks me off no end. Believe me, if I could wake up tomorrow without pain I would be the happiest person on earth.

dashcat

Janet,
I take pain medications as needed for an autoimmune. I certainly have heard the idiot remarks like "I don't even take aspirin" or "I'm too stubborn to take pain medications". Right. And this is a virtue? I've fielded a few "addict" remarks, too ... but, really, if you take pain medications for pain it's not even close to the same as an addiction. Just let those comments sail right over your head. People who say stupid things like that don't deserve the satisfaction of our ire.
Dash

Toughloving shared:genetically predisposed to addiction because once he started smoking pot he got into it and other drug use really fast and furious. It was never casual use like many kids do. He smoked pot for the first time in December and by march was smoking it several times a day.

Yes, I believe also it is a gentically predisposed addiction.