ADHD Diet

Heath 1

Good afternoon.
My name is Heath (36 yrs old) and it has been about 4-5 months since I've logged into this site. I am married with two children (son 6, daughter 4). My son was officially diagnosed with ADHD last month. While my son Ethan is pretty good at home and great when we do things like playing outside or going for walks, etc., his behavior is not so good at school. His academics are strong but he has trouble keeping his hands to himself, talking back, making noises, etc. Our psychologist recommended scheduling an appointment with a psychiatrist because my son "needs to be on medication." Right to the medication! She didn't even question what he eats or recommend dietary changes. My wife, who loves anything that comes in the shape of a pill sees this as THE ANSWER. While we are very savy, well educated parents who have implimented a wide range of behavioral modification techniques and modified our own behaviors, I don't yet see this as the answer. I want to try modifying his diet to see if we can improve the situation. I feel like I am the only one who is pulling for my son. The last thing I want to do is to put my son on medication that could adversly impact him long-term. I find it gut-wrenching to read that they don't know the long-term side affects of a medication that has been on the market for over 30 years (Ritalin)! Don't they know or don't they want to know. But I'll leave the conspiracy theory for another day.

Let me get to my question. I'm very quickly running out of time. I'm estimating that it will take 30-60 days to get an appointment with a psychiatrist and for a prescription to be written. My wife is pushing and so is the school.

So can anyone comment on the impact/success they've had with diet modifications? Has anyone used the Feingold diet and what type of results did you achieve. My goal is to either eliminate the need for medication (odds are against me) or prove that diet has lessen his condition so the medication he is prescribed is of a lower doseage.

I appreciate any help or insight you can provide.

Diet can make a difference. Some people on the board have had success with Feingold but it was too difficult for me. It is important to eliminate foods that have dyes, artificial additives and preservatives. Try to make the diet as natural as possible.

Zarina

I have heard that the brain in ADD cannot convert certain essential LCP and that Omega 3, 6, 9 can possibly help. Omega 3 is found in oily fish.However I would like to read more because I may have got it wrong. I would like to understand more about the conditions and how to handle my 23 year old. I refused Ritalin when he was underage but now see that although I tried the diet thing, he has worsened as he got older and display ODD so that I cannot reach he reasonable side

Here is info from WEBMD:
Can Omega-3 Fatty Acids Help With ADHD?

Some studies suggest they can. You're most likely to get results when using them as part of an overall healthy lifestyle. By Richard Sogn, MD
WebMD Answers to Questions

Question:
I have read several studies that say it's possible omega-3 fatty acids might be helpful for ADHD and depression. I cannot find anything that states whether there is any danger in taking them, other than if you get too much vitamin A and D it can be toxic.

I am leaning toward trying it. From everything I have read, even if it ends up not helping with attention or depression issues, it is just plain good for you. I just need to know whether it can actually help or not and to make sure it is safe.

Answer:
I believe that everyone should take a multivitamin with minerals, a fish oil capsule (omega-3 fatty acids), and an antioxidant such as super blue-green algae, whether they have ADHD or not.

Studies are conflicting about whether omega-3 fatty acids are helpful for ADHD. The latest study that I read found that they were beneficial. They have been found beneficial for some people suffering from depression related to bipolar disorder more than other forms of depression.

But it wouldn't make sense to try omega-3 fatty acids unless you address other issues involved with ADHD symptoms, including adequate sleep, adequate nutrition (especially a high-protein, low-carbohydrate breakfast), elimination of caffeine, regular exercise, or essentially doing things that are good for your brain and eliminating things that are bad for your brain.

Richard Sogn, MD, is trained in psychiatry and child and adolescent psychiatry. His interests are attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and related disorders, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder and Tourette's syndrome.

The opinions expressed herein are the guest's alone and have not been reviewed by a WebMD physician. If you have a question about your health, you should consult your personal physician. This event is meant for informational purposes only.

Published July 18, 2005.

© 2005 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

Heath 1

Thank you all for your commments and helpful suggestions. They make sense and certainly support what I've been reading on the internet. It's always nice to be able to run some of these challenges with others who are or have been in the same boat. Thanks again.