ADHD & ODD: Confronting the Challenges of Disruptive Behavior

DS3

I'll be honest. I have not had the time yet to sit down and read this, but it seems interesting and as soon as I do have the time, I will read it. If someone wants to post a cliff-note version in the mean time, it would be appreciated. LOL! (Make sure you click through all the pages, I noticed that the article is 6 pages long).

~some days I am so busy that I don't get to do anything that I want...~:twister2:

DS3

Link: http://www.consultantlive.com/articles/adhd-odd-confronting-challenges-disruptive-behavior

InsaneCdn

Requires membership to see beyond page 1... and I'm not up to researching whether or not I want to join.

Two things are initially interesting, though...

1) The premise that ALL ADHD is neuro-chemical in its basis, and therefore can be helped by medication. Does this mean that if a person diagnosed with ADHD does not respond to medications, that the person does not have ADHD? Possible, but I haven't seen anything quite this pointed before.

2) The overlap between ADHD and ODD being explored - without looking at the other items frequently co-morbid with ADHD and whether or not these (especially if not diagnosed or not handled properly) could result in ODD behavior as a result... rather than the ODD being linked directly to the ADHD

Haven't read the whole article... will be interesting to see what others think!

keista

#1 that has actually been a long standing theory. HOWEVER several members on this board have stated that medications did not work for their young children, but once passing puberty, medications DID work. So, while the "medication test theory may be valid, it's not an instant diagnostic "tool" medications would have to be ineffective over a lifetime to "prove" that it's not ADHD and that is only helpful for research purposes, not treatment purposes.

#2 "could result in ODD behavior as a result... rather than the ODD being linked directly to the ADHD" This is why I and many others on this board don't think ODD, in and of itself, as a "real" diagnosis. It is NOT a biological disorder, but environmental. ADHD itself does not cause OOD, but how the child with ADHD responds to their environment and how the caregivers respond to the child, may elicit ODD type behavior.

in my opinion long term (10-15) year studies also need to be done, because what *looks* like ADHD with ODD in a 5 or 6 y/o (even passing diagnostic criteria) may in fact be co-morbid with other dxes or something else entirely.

T

TeDo

Insane, I kind of got the same impression. difficult child carried the ADHD & ODD labels for 3 years only to find out it was Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) all along. So many things manifest so similarly it's hard to differentiate sometimes.

Malika

I'm interested in this TeDo. Could you say a little more about how ADHD with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) manifests differently? How would you (briefly and simplistically, I know) describe your son's behaviour and "presence"?

T

TeDo

Malika, the symptoms of both are very alike. The biggest difference with my difficult child is that he had mild delays in communication and social skills when he was young (developmental). He had some odd behaviors that I didn't realize back then such as lining his Matchbox cars up in an imaginary parking lot and no one was allowed to disturb them. He also avoids eye contact with people he doesn't know WELL. He also perseverates on topics that do change every few months. He used to talk about fishing ALL the time. Now it is golfing (his new hobby). During soccer season, he talks about that constantly. That is what is "different" between Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and ADHD in our case. There are many more similarities (with ADHD and ODD combined) than differences in our case which made diagnosis harder.

Does this answer your question or did I read your post incorrectly?

InsaneCdn

Keista: #2 "could result in ODD behavior as a result... rather than the ODD being linked directly to the ADHD" This is why I and many others on this board don't think ODD, in and of itself, as a "real" diagnosis. It is NOT a biological disorder, but environmental. ADHD itself does not cause OOD, but how the child with ADHD responds to their environment and how the caregivers respond to the child, may elicit ODD type behavior.

ADHD has very high co-morbitity rates with all sorts of other dxes... from learning disabilities (dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalcula, etc.), to motor skills issues (per CanChild, 50% of kids with ADHD also have Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)), to auditory issues and other things where the co-morbidity rates are not known.

ADHD plus "other stuff" can and does lead to ODD if the "other stuff" is not found and dealt with at an appropriate age. been there done that. Solved the "other stuff" and the ODD went away. But the ADHD actually had NO link to the ODD, as far as we could tell.

For argument, take a kid who is not ADD/ADHD, but has other issues like learning disabilities etc (as above)... and fail to deail with those issues, and I'd be fairly certain that the result will be ODD... without the ADHD.

Of course, people on this board already know these things. It just takes the research world at least 20 years to catch up with parents!

Malika

Malika, the symptoms of both are very alike. The biggest difference with my difficult child is that he had mild delays in communication and social skills when he was young (developmental). He had some odd behaviors that I didn't realize back then such as lining his Matchbox cars up in an imaginary parking lot and no one was allowed to disturb them. He also avoids eye contact with people he doesn't know WELL. He also perseverates on topics that do change every few months. He used to talk about fishing ALL the time. Now it is golfing (his new hobby). During soccer season, he talks about that constantly. That is what is "different" between Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and ADHD in our case. There are many more similarities (with ADHD and ODD combined) than differences in our case which made diagnosis harder.

Yes, thank you TeDo, that's very clear.

DS3

Now you got me thinking, since my difficult child is ADHD/ODD, but does everything in your post. Perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly...

InsaneCdn

DS3 -

At 4 years old, the probability is that you're not going to get a really solid diagnosis just yet. Not impossible - but unless its something really obvious (sometimes Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) stuff is really that obvious, but not always), dxes come in dribs and drabs and spurts.

Keep an open mind. Try approaches that are common for ADHD... but if they don't work well, also try approaches that work for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). See for yourself what works, what doesn't. Start a journal, or a parent report, to capture what you've tried and with what results.

We'd have NEVER guessed Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) until much later. The Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)? saw that at 3 but didn't know what it was. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) was on again/off again repeatedly - now its "off" - clinically significant findings (some traits) but doesn't meet diagnostic cutoff.

Just to really confuse you (just kidding)... many dxes that are stand-alone, are also traits of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). ADHD, Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), just to name a few. A kid can be all of those and NOT be Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), or only have some traits of some of those (plus other stuff) and definitely be Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

In other words... welcome to the journey of discovery!
(just wish the difficult children didn't drive us around the bend while we try to "get there")

TerryJ2

Interesting article. I haven't read the entire first page yet, but this jumped out at me: Socrates: "Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners and contempt for authority and disrespect for their elders. Children nowadays are tyrants."[SUP]2
:)

[/SUP]

T

TeDo

Now you got me thinking, since my difficult child is ADHD/ODD, but does everything in your post. Perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly...
No, I don't think you are reading incorrectly. That is a description of my difficult child. Those are the things that were kind of "causing" the ADHD and ODD in our case, although I think the ADHD is still separate because he is sooooo hyper without his Straterra. In our case, the ODD was the result, not the cause of the behaviors we were all seeing.

DS3

TeDo - that is exactly our experience with the ODD diagnosis as well.

Seems to be the case for me as well if I am thinking about it correctly (still drinking my coffee this morning). You're saying because of the ODD behaviors, they got the diagnosis of ADHD right?

We first got the diagnosis of ADHD then the diagnosis of ODD, but they have went hand in hand for a while. difficult child is still really hyper even with his Adderall. Next time we see his psychiatric I'm going to have to see if this is 'normal' or if he need a different medication.

:coffee:

DS3

is there anyone who has a child with ADHD and ODD i need some advice!

You may want to check out the forums and find where your difficult child would fit, and then post some information about what is going on. Many people here are very nice and willing to give advice. Go introduce yourself in your own thread. :) Welcome to the boards. If you want to chat, you can message me as my difficult child is ADHD/ODD.

T

TeDo

DS3. difficult child 1 was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 3. He was diagnosed with ODD when he was in 3rd grade. This last January, it was changed to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). His defiance was because because of his rigid, literal, black-and-white thinking; inability to see the other person's point of view; inability to generalize; and strict adherence to routines.

As for the Adderall in your situation, if it doesn't seem to be helping at all, you might want to consider asking about non-stimulant alternatives. Stimulants (they tried 3) did NOT work for difficult child 1 but the Strattera is working wonders. on the other hand, I have heard some people have had negative experiences with Strattera. It's almost a crapshoot with medications when it comes to individual effectiveness. I have since heard from MANY parents here that stimulants and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are not a good combination.

Good luck. Keep questioning, researching, and pushing for anwers. When you have a clear picture of what all is really going on, life gets better.

DS3

DS3. difficult child 1 was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 3. He was diagnosed with ODD when he was in 3rd grade. This last January, it was changed to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). His defiance was because because of his rigid, literal, black-and-white thinking; inability to see the other person's point of view; inability to generalize; and strict adherence to routines.

As for the Adderall in your situation, if it doesn't seem to be helping at all, you might want to consider asking about non-stimulant alternatives. Stimulants (they tried 3) did NOT work for difficult child 1 but the Strattera is working wonders. on the other hand, I have heard some people have had negative experiences with Strattera. It's almost a crapshoot with medications when it comes to individual effectiveness. I have since heard from MANY parents here that stimulants and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are not a good combination.

Good luck. Keep questioning, researching, and pushing for anwers. When you have a clear picture of what all is really going on, life gets better.

difficult child was diagnosis'd with ADHD at 3.5 and ODD at 4. The Neruo-psychiatric says he's an extreme ADHD/ODD. Didn't fall on the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) Spectrum at all. So we'll go for this for now. It's hard because he is so young. Perhaps when he's older we'll find out something else. On the plus side, ABA is starting next week (had the interview this week), and his Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation is next week. Plus the IEP is in progress. Between them all, I'm hoping for a clearer picture. :)

buddy

I did the register, it is free, says you have to be a health care professional but doesn't seem to be anything you have to prove so if you are not just do the general related health care options, smile! anyway, no matter a degree or not, folks on this site are all health care professionals, the web site just doesn't have a category for warrior parents (stealing your term, ok?)
Seems like a really interesting site, thanks.
I am readng it now...much like another thread posted recently where a seminar with a bent toward parental issues being a cause, just a quick first impression that they mentioned that here too for ODD and CD. All parents need help with kids like this but in many cases you gotta wonder which comes first, I never want my difficult child's school to see an ODD diagnosis on his medication. forms....I hear from many of you and what I have read that it is really biasing (is that a word??) ...and he has enough labels that cover those kinds of behaviors already.

T

TeDo

You are DEFINITELY doing all the right things. Have you read the book Explosive Child? It was through trying Plan B that I learned how very differently difficult child 1 thought. That revelation is what caused me to have him reassessed. on the other hand, because I realized that punishing difficult child 1 for skills he didn't have was like punishing a diabetic for having an insulin reaction. When I started putting my efforts into teaching those missing skills, I found I wasn't punishing very much and difficult child 1 and I were both happier.

As long as what you are doing is working, the diagnosis doesn't matter (well, it kind of does but...). The end goal should be improving difficult child's "quality of life" and making sure he learns the skills he will need to survive as an adult. Do whatever you gotta do, but only as long as it works.