ADHD training required for teachers

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Does anyone have any experience getting it required that their child's teacher get ADHD training? If so, how did you make that happen?

My son's teacher is so old school. I honestly believe she thinks ADHD is just a made up disorder by parents of spoiled kids who do not want to accept responsibility. If she is going to continue to be my child's teacher, and does not seem to have a clue about ADHD and the deficits involved and how to help him, not lecture and humiliate him - then she needs to get on board and get some training so she can start helping him.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jules

Last edited:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I always give Wee's teachers copies of The Explosive Child and Lost at School. SpEd Teachers, and all but first year's mainstream teachers really got on board with that (last year's mainstream teacher has continued to use it in her classroom). My problem lies in the admin and paras for Wee. But the books seemed to hit home with the teachers.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Shari,
So at least those teachers seem open to learning more about it so they can help your child. What about a teacher who just does not seem to believe it and doesn't seem willing? It seems like it should be mandatory training for all teachers. I guess even if she had mandatory training - it may not change her mind about it.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Go all Dr Phil on her.

Ask her "How's that working for ya?"

Then give her the book.

I wish I had a good answer. I'd be using it myself on a few principals and paras...

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Ha ha Shari! I actually almost wrote that in an email I sent her! Hilarious. I needed the laugh and I just may do that.

S

ShanDiann

Thinks it should be required of all teachers. Strategies that work well for ADHD kids tend to be of benefit for all students.
Teacher's should be life long learners. People who are unwilling to adapt should not be in the profession.

Marguerite

With difficult child 1, the pediatrician came out to the school and did an inservice. With difficult child 3 (and also with difficult child 1, now in his final year of high school) the autism association sent out their Metropolitan Outreach psychologist (it cost me A$100) to do an observation then an inservice, intensively for the class teacher. It didn't fix things, but it did help a lot.

I also got a lot of help from using a Communication Book, which travelled to and fro between me and the teacher, on a daily basis.

Marg