ADHD training required for teachers

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by Jules71, Oct 5, 2010.

  1. Jules71

    Jules71 Warrior Mom since 2007

    I posted this in the general forum but thought maybe I should post it here as well.

    Does anyone have any experience getting it required that their child's teacher get ADHD training? If so, how did you make that happen?

    My son's teacher is so old school. I honestly believe she thinks ADHD is just a made up disorder by parents of spoiled kids who do not want to accept responsibility. If she is going to continue to be my child's teacher, and does not seem to have a clue about ADHD and the deficits involved and how to help him, not lecture and humiliate him - then she needs to get on board and get some training so she can start helping him.

    Any ideas?

  2. TeDo

    TeDo Guest

    I don't know what to tell you. I am going through the same thing with ODD. Teachers and administrators are seeing more and more of this sort of thing and just aren't trained to handle these types of situations effectively. Have you documented the things that she does that are the opposite of how they should be done? If you have, try talking to the administrator at your school face to face with those notes and be armed with published information that supports how you say things should be done. Take notes at that meeting just in case you need them later. A great resource where I am from is called the PACER center. Try Googling that and see if there is one in your area. They have been a tremendous help to me in dealing with our school. Does your difficult child have an IEP and BIP? If so, check the wording to make sure everything in there explains the way things should be handled. Hope that helps. Keep us posted and keep your chin up. ;)
  3. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    You best bet is to have a very specifically written IEP so that you will be able to document whether or not she is following the IEP. Sometimes if the teacher is too awful for your child, you have to make a decision about being right or doing right. If she is going to be a negative factor in his life, it may be better to ask for a classroom transfer rather than continue to battle her all year long. If, on the other hand, you feel that she could be a positive teacher for him with some additional training, then I would meet with the Special Education director and ask for her help in getting the teacher trained.

    The easiest way I can think of to 'force' the training is to have the IEP state that all staff working directly with difficult child have completed "XYZ training" (We require all staff that works with Tigger to complete CPI training but that wasn't even a battle for us because that training was already offered to our teachers/admins and eventually Tigger was moved to his current classroom where it is a requirement for all staff anyway.) If you can find out what adhd-type training is used in the school system already, it will be an easier 'sell'. If you are in a small school district that may not use a lot of training, I would call the nearest big, well-funded district andask who they use for that type of training (call their Special Education dir or her secretary, they are going to be the only one who knows.
  4. Jules71

    Jules71 Warrior Mom since 2007

    I have tried to get his class changed and the principal won't do it. I do not think she will be a good teacher for difficult child even if she does get training - but what are my options? The other teacher seems way more organized and structured which my difficult child needs. Arrghhh - I am so frustrated!
  5. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    Call an IEP meeting. The principal cannot make that determination alone, if you think you can get enough support for a classroom switch, then convene a meeting.

    Or, if you have a good relationship with the Special Education director, than maybe she/he can put pressure on the principal to make the switch.

    Be the squeaky wheel - maybe they'll switch him just to make you be quiet :)
  6. Jules71

    Jules71 Warrior Mom since 2007

    I have a meeting with the Special Education teacher lady today. I will bring it up again. We are into the 7th week of school now, and there is absolutely no organization as to how homework comes home or is returned! The other class has been writing homework assignments in their planners and bringing them home everyday with their homework to be signed off by the parent. I can't get into a consistent routine with difficult child at home regarding homework if it doesn't make it home half the time.
  7. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    Actually, all school personnel who deal with your child on a daily basis are required by federal law to be trained in your child's disorder(s).


    (3) Personnel development The local educational agency shall ensure that all personnel necessary to carry out this subchapter are appropriately and adequately prepared, subject to the requirements of section 1412 (a)(14) of this title and section 2122 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 [20 U.S.C. 6622].

    It's in the statutes @

    Statute: TITLE I / B / 613 / a / 3

    (3) Personnel development.--The local educational agency shall ensure that all personnel necessary to carry out this part are appropriately and adequately prepared, subject to the requirements of section 612(a)(14) and section 2122 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.

    The above are from the federal regs, however, your state is required to adhere to them. If you review your state regs, you'll find this information buried in it somewhere.:D
    If push comes to shove, put your request for 'professional development' in a letter and send it via certified mail.
  8. Jules71

    Jules71 Warrior Mom since 2007

    Thanks Sheila - good to know!