Adrenal Fatigue

trinityroyal

As requested (in Beth's post), here is some more information about adrenal fatigue:

http://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/adrenalfatigue/default.aspx
http://naturopathconnect.com/articles/adrenal-fatigue-syndrome/

Many of us CD parents are under so much stress all the time that our bodies don't have the chance to regroup, and recover from it.

From the newstarget site:
Diagnosing (and misdiagnosing) adrenal fatigue

To make matters worse, doctors often don't diagnose this problem. Dr. Wilson offers the example of a woman who has been to 37 doctors before finally receiving proper diagnosis and a renewed sense of hope. So, why don't doctors recognize adrenal fatigue? In medical school, they are only taught to look for extreme adrenal malfunction -- Addison's Disease, which occurs when the glands produce far too little cortisol, and Cushing's Syndrome, which stems from excessive cortisol production. They check adrenal function by testing ACTH levels, using a bell curve to recognize abnormal levels. This is where the problem occurs. ACTH tests only consider the top and bottom 2 percent of the curve abnormal, yet symptoms of adrenal malfunction occur after 15 percent of the mean on both sides of the curve. In other words, your adrenal glands can be functioning 20 percent below the mean and the rest of your body experiencing symptoms of adrenal fatigue, yet most mainstream physicians won't recognize that you have a problem.

Fortunately, there are ways you can test yourself for adrenal fatigue. To start off, go ahead and "check off" the symptoms you have been experiencing.

Symptoms of adrenal fatigue:

* Morning fatigue -- You don't really seem to "wake up" until 10 a.m., even if you've been awake since 7 a.m.
* Afternoon "low" (feelings of sleepiness or clouded thinking) from 2 to 4 p.m.
* Burst of energy at 6 p.m. -- You finally feel better from your afternoon lull.
* Sleepiness at 9 to 10 p.m. -- However, you resist going to sleep.
* "Second wind" at 11 p.m. that lasts until about 1 a.m., when you finally go to sleep.
* Cravings for foods high in salt and fat
* Increased PMS or menopausal symptoms
* Mild depression
* Lack of energy
* Decreased ability to handle stress
* Muscular weakness
* Increased allergies
* Lightheadedness when getting up from a sitting or laying down position
* Decreased sex drive
* Frequent sighing
* Inability to handle foods high in potassium or carbohydrates unless they're combined with fats and protein

In addition to noticing these symptoms in yourself, you can objectively check for adrenal fatigue by using the following three tests:

1. Ragland's sign (blood pressure test) -- (Equipment required: Home blood pressure kit) Take your blood pressure while sitting down. Then, stand up and immediately take your blood pressure again. Your systolic (first) number should have raised 8 to 10 mm. If it dropped, you probably have adrenal fatigue.
2. Pupil dilation exam -- (Equipment required: Flashlight and a mirror) Look into the mirror and shine the flashlight into the pupil of one eye. It should contract. If after 30 seconds, it stays the same or, even worse, dilates, you most likely have adrenal fatigue.
3. Pain when pressing on adrenal glands (located over kidneys)

Steely

Thanks Trinity!
I really think/know I have this..........however..........it does not mention very many cures other than stress reduction........which seems so impossible sometimes. Sigh.

I have been SO moody lately, among all the other symptoms on the list which I always have - it really makes me wonder. I was starting to wonder if I was pre-menopausal because of the sudden mood swings - still not sure - or maybe it is all the adrenaline making my hormones out of balance. Again, sigh. I wonder why life is so hard sometimes.

nvts

Wow! That's amazing! I don't usually self-diagnose, but I see all of these in me. I know when I go to see my dr. he's going to throw it to my "Diabetes Fairy's" and will tell me to lose weight, but I may push him to test me.

Thanks for all the info!

The Other Beth

Wiped Out

Staff member
Very interesting information. I have Addison's Disease so I can really relate to the above symptoms. Luckily for the most part my medications take care of most of them.

babybear

I read a book on this topic a while back. It was shocking to me how it fit me so exactly. One other symptom it mentioned was " sudden fatigue, as if you'd been drugged" Has anyone else had that problem?

Another thing that was mentioned was to add a pinch of regular table salt to your drinking water. I started making a homemade "sports drink" which is: 2 tbsp of juice and a pinch of salt mixed in 8 ounces of water.

One other thing that I use is the emergen-c packets. Walmart and target carry it for about $9 now.