Adult ADHD.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have no doubt I have some ADHD going on. I am definitely hyper, but generally speaking, I manage it and do ok.
Since this BS with difficult child and school, tho, I have been having a(n understandably) terrible time focusing on anything but the school disaster of the week/day. I have got to get some work done both at home and at work, and I find myself struggling to stay focused on anything.
I've never been diagnosis'ed with ADD or anything else except occassional situational depression. Is there anything I can do to help me focus? Is there such a thing as treating the focus issues at least temporarily?

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Can you afford some body work, massage, Reiki, acupuncture? yoga breath work? I use Gregorian chants that set up a peaceful humming in my heart.
It may seem a contradiction, but when I'm feeling unfocused due to gfgdom I do hard crosswords, it's a weird form of self hypnosis for me (I have situational depression too). Good luck!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have been having a(n understandably) terrible time focusing on anything but the school disaster of the week/day. I have got to get some work done both at home and at work, and I find myself struggling to stay focused on anything.

Move over, I'm joining you on the spinning-in-circles bench. :D

I have the same problem, but I'm pretty sure my issues stem from anxiety. And my hormonal cycles compound the problem. I've been a slug for at least a week now, and today's not much better.

Exercise often helps me -- but I don't exercise often! Have you tried doing something in the cardio/vascular category to see if that might help?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I can't do the cardio thing. I'm still on limited activity cause of the mono garbage... liver/spleen/some kinda horror story thing...I dunno...but I'm not supposed to do anything strenuous.

I've cheated. I packed 50lb feedsacks one at a time 100 yards to the barn one day instead of driving them to help diffuse. (bad me) But I really can't do much of it, and I KNOW that's not helping.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Okay, then how 'bout LOTS and LOTS of CAFFIENE?! Cheaper than a 'scrip... and comes in many tasty forms :D

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Unfortunately, benadryl doesn't knock me out, and caffeine doesn't wake me up (and it makes me envious of those they affect...) BUT that does remind me that gaurana (or something like that) DOES give me a little boost.

I'll try that...thanks for kick starting my memory. (I may still go talk to my doctor tho.)

DammitJanet

the fact that caffeine doesnt wake you up practically screams ADD!...lol. Jamie can drink gallons of Coke or coffee and it doesnt effect him in that way though it does help his attention a tiny bit.

Real add medications may be the only true help, I am afraid.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Is there such a thing as treating the focus issues at least temporarily?

YUP.........

THE R's - REST, RELAXATION, REVIVE, REJUVINATE, REJOYCE, RETREAT, RECAP, RETALIATE, (okay but not too much), REMOVE, RELOAD (had to put that in there for you) RECONNECT, RESPECT....

Rest - will do you good - you need at least 8 hours a night
Relax -breathing exercises and yoga often help with stress, a hot bath too.
Revive -some old dreams, and put them into action - gives you something to do besides worry about difficult child all the time
Rejuvinate -I'm sure I spelled that wrong - but take 10 minutes a day for you and tell yourself it does not count if you are on the toilet with the door locked reading a magazine - it has to be elsewhwere.
Rejoyce - for all the things that you do have. Write down 3 every night in a journal you keep.
Retreat - Take a vacation, you need one.
Recap -Spend 10 minutes at night going over how to make things better tomorrow
Retaliate - another sp. error - but sometimes you need to take up the days problems with the one that caused them. Find solutions.
Remove - yourself from the problem. Not run away - just walk to a quieter place and reflect.
REload - Saw this on a bumper sticker - keep on honking while you're giving me the finger it's giving me a chance to reload. But seriously - stock your brain in the morning with extra strength and courage - reload yourself with a good backup of mental well being
Reconnect - with things you enjoy but got away from
Respect- yourself enough to care about you first - no one will if you dont.

Hugs
reSTARt this topic when you are too tired to go on.