Adult children on the spectrum

Fran

Former desparate mom
There is a documentary being done about the program for adults on the spectrum. This is a 3 min. snippet that I wanted to share.

Those of you who know me from the past know I am always looking for ways to help my son find the life he wants.

I'm not advocating for the program(waiting list only) but wanting to introduce other parents to possibilities for their adult children on the spectrum. It was 2 fathers who looked at their son's and wondered what happens after h.s. It's been a real worry for me and hopefully seeing what can be achieved will inspire parents of adult kids on the spectrum to keep looking for opportunities to have your child live a fuller life. The lowest rung of the employment ladder is the only thing ever offered to these guys. My son is living a better life. Not employed yet but much closer to a career than ever. He is actually working with the grip for this documentary for the next 2 weeks. The statistics for our kids are abysmal and we have to find ways to improve the quality of their adult lives. Turn the statistics around.

http://www.creektreefilms.com/programminghopevideo.html

Tiredof33

Very true about the employment possibilities and with the economy failing they were hard to come by. Glad to hear your son has a better life!

keista

I've heard of this company before. I think it's a great model for entrepreneurs to follow. in my opinion ASDs would be easier to deal with in the office that all that "office politics" that goes on. (or is that one of my Aspie traits showing? Find it hard to believe anyone actually ENJOYS playing all those head games.)

buddy

the therapeutic horse back riding program that Q rides with is sponsored by a place called Eriks Ranch and Retreats. Again, not an endorsement, but the story is that this mom found that there is nothing for her severely autistic son (he is very low verbal, rides with Q often and his sister is one of Q's favorite coaches there).... So, she started a concept where they used part of a living center their family owns (good to be in the business I guess) and they turned it into an apartment program. Each client gets their own and it is decorated for them depending on their sensory needs etc. They then work in whatever job they can and the site is also used as a retreat so you can do a volunteer-vacation and you are connected to a resident or a few, depending what they do. IF their high interest is art then they can host a tour to a museum for you. Some of the residents are asst. chefs, or clean or sing, or whatever their interest is and it is all paid positions, valued at whatever level they need. Erik himself is about 20 now. THey also bought a ranch in Montana and it will be the same concept but you go on a vacation to the ranch. Again the clients are hired as well as living there....they are paid for their chores and they only have chores that are things they want to do so they are respected for their interests or if they need to be exposed to things, for what they show a liking for.

It is really cool. I think many of us will have to be creative with how we plan for and house our kids in the future. For kids like Q who can be really productive and get along most of the time but have serious moments where they can be verbally or physically aggressive, they would get kicked out of most programs.... There has to be a way that they can be supported and encouraged to reach their potential and have people around them who can help when they have those times. If it was all of the time, ok, I get that he would need more restrictive placement, but if he can grow into a level of that being not frequent I really believe he can have a semi-independent life. Wont need a hospital/residential type of setting. A group home for him would probably not work, too much shared space. Gosh it is so complex. Glad we have some time to work on it. I think sharing different concepts is a great way for us to all be able to do research for what might fit our kids' needs. Thanks for sharing this. It is on my mind alot now that he is a teen...time flies.

http://www.eriksranch.org

I haven't seen the living quarters in the MN or Montana, just have talked to the family while we are horse back riding.