Adult daughter stole entire life savings

Scent of Cedar *

Hi, MeNotHappy

Welcome.

:O)

At the top, right hand side of the introductory page to Parent Emeritus, there will be a blue label area which says "Post New Thread".

That is how you begin.

Cedar

recoveringenabler

Staff member
MeNotHappy, welcome. Go to the top of this page and click on Parent Emeritus right under the title of this post. In the next window at the top of the page on the right hand side click on Start a new thread. When the window opens, put in a title and write your story. Unless you have younger kids, this forum is for adult kids over 18.........you can check the other forums and decide which one works best for you.

Nancy, what an awful story and a tragic ending for your friend's family. It is simply unbelieveable what people will do. We have been trying really hard not to allow this situation to affect our health but even that is not easy. My husband is better than I am at that but I am equally determined that our daughter will not take any more from us. We are gradually just starting to rebuild but even now it is an endless stream of attorney stuff, bankruptcy stuff, and police stuff. Seems like it will not end for quite a while so we are trying to stay grounded and healthy in the meantime. Yours is good advice, I will do exactly that. Thank you for your kind words, sharing your friend's story, and your prayers.

Recovering enabler, I intend to talk to the police about the issue of a do not contact order or restraining order. I believe that we should be treated like any other victims of a crime where the alleged perpetrator knows who the accusing party is and we should be afforded some type of protection against retaliation. After all, she will know immediately who filed the complaints with the police and given the fact that we have no idea what she is capable of, they should be able to warn her to keep away. The psychiatrist said he does not believe, based on the extensive history I have given him, that she is prone to actual violence but beyond that, I simply do not want her showing up here and getting her dad and me all in an uproar with what would certainly be high drama. We have been put through enough. She sent my cousin another picture of her new baby boy yesterday. No text or message, just the picture. I think she would love for us to break down and contact her. She is dreaming. In the meantime, my heart is broken about that baby.

As for the PTSD issue, I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment. Everything I have read reinforces that, and I believe from my own experience that it will take a very long time to actually recover, and even then, we are fundamentally changed from the people we used to be. I have found recently, since there is less for me to do in terms of providing information to the police, that I have bouts of depression and tears. I have no doubt at all that it is just the gradual let down from all the frantic activity of the past year. Keeping busy has been a salvation and I think now it may be time to let the feelings come little at a time. I have to admit, I would rather not.

I remain so thankful for everyones support here. I was a little reluctant at first and thought perhaps I might get some posts from people who would either condemn my husband and me for our stance or at a minimum tell us that her actions are not her fault and that we should look on her forehead for the mark of Satan! Thank you all so much.

TearyEyed

Jeanne,

I dont post very often but I do read the posts here everyday. I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you. I did want to mention that as Recovering said, what the psychiatrist told you has happened to many of us here when we finally stop giving in to our difficult children. But it is good to know what to expect ahead of time to give yourself a little time to prepare mentally. You are not alone. When I finally put my foot down, my difficult child escalated and did horrific things. He would cut and stab himself and end up in the hospital. He did threaten suicide several times. Everytime he did that I called 911. I told him that everytime he made such threats, I would always call the police. Eventually he realized that that tactic wasnt going to work and he hasnt done it since. He did try other things. He would tell me he was living in a park or under a bridge and that his life was in danger. I didnt give in to this either. He has a list of shelters and other resources he can contact if he really wanted help. They will try everything they can to get you to cave. But, if you weather through it by doing what you are doing, getting support and advice from people who have walked this path, you will get to the other side. My son doesnt threaten me or himself anymore. He does still tell me stories of his sad and strange lifestyle. But my fear and panic has lessened. I still have my moments but it gets easier. Hang in there and know we are all in this together and it will be okay, somehow, somewady, it will be okay.

TE

Hi TE, I think my husband and I are prepared for the worst in terms of what she will say and do, but in reality, I am not sure how one really prepares for that. I guess just by knowing what will probably happen.

The stress of the ongoing and very slow investigation is almost unbearable. We are blessed with a detective who is smart, hard-working, and easy to talk to. I am still answering questions and sending in additional information several times a week. That will not end soon. I am still waiting for horrible things to happen because I know they will. When she is finally arrested, it will be horrible for everyone. On the other hand, it will be good that our problems will then rightfully become her problems. I can't help but wonder if in the final analysis, will she be revealed as sadistic or simply opportunistic? That is horrible either way.
Your son's reactions and threats must have been so unbearably painful for you, but it sounds like you absolutely did what you had to do in order to get his antics to stop. I will keep that in mind if I have to call 911 myself. I keep saying this is love at its toughest. The easiest way not to cave is not so see them and that is what I am determined to achieve. I am so glad your fear and panic have lessened somewhat.

Even in the face of undeniable proof of what all our daughter has done, I still find it nearly impossible to wrap my head around the entire thing. I have accepted the fact that I will always have more questions than answers. Nevertheless, I don’t spend a lot of time obsessing over the fact that when she could have become anything she wanted, she chose this. Rather, I take comfort in the fact that her story is not over. As long as she is alive, she may not be lost. Only time will tell, and I have no choice but to wait.

Thank you so much for your message and words of encouragement. May you have peace in your life as well.

Jeanne

Childofmine

one day at a time
Jeanne, I agree there is truly no way to really prepare for a situation like this.

I have found it helpful to write things down. Like what I would say if he calls, texts or comes to the door. What my next steps are. What I will and won't do or say.

Then, I even write my possible responses to a situation I didn't expect: "I don't know. I'll have to think about that."

I have found that writing things down centers me, keeps me calmer in the here and now, and gives me something to grab if/when something happens.

I write it down, print it out and put copies in several places, like on my bathroom mirror, in my office on the wall beside my computer and in my purse, so I have access to something when the craziness begins.

And, there is always something I haven't counted on. I now bow to the overwhelming totality of my son's addiction and the cunning, baffling insidiousness of that disease.

My son is the vehicle through which it operates, saying and doing things I truly could never have imagined in all of my life. Like you, with your daughter.

The pain just seems to go on and on, doesn't it? I can hear you "waiting" on the legal system, while at the same time you are "waiting" on what your daughter will do next. All of this waiting for the other shoe to drop is a pathway to PTSD.

Who can imagine some of the things that have happened, and who can imagine what might happen next? My son's addiction is always three steps ahead of me. And today, instead of frantically trying to run around getting ahead of it, I bow to it, and I am working every day to just get out of the way. Otherwise, it will mow me down too.

Having some sort of written plan helps me put it aside for a time. For an hour, a day, a few days. And then I can go on with my own life for a while.

Big hugs to you today. I am reading along, following along with you, and I have huge empathy and a very warm heart for you and your husband. We get it here. We are here for you both, Jeanne. I am praying that something good will come from all of this, for you, and sooner rather than later!

COM, I certainly understand why you go around writing everything down. If I tried that here at home, my poor husband would have a hard time. He does best when not reminded about any of this mess, and (as I am sure you understand) if he is sad or upset, it is hard on us both. I, however, do write a lot on my own which is good for me. I haven't thought too much about what I would do or say to her because I am concentrating on preventing any contact with her. Her dad and I were talking about it last night and he said he doesn't think she will show up here and I told him I totally disagree. Why wouldn't she? Once she knows the police and DA are after her and they have more proof than she could ever imagine, she will think that the only thing standing between her and prison are her parents. If she thinks she has even a remote possiblity of talking us into dropping the charges she will pull out all the stops. THAT is what I am trying to avoid.

Looking back on my relationship with our daughter over the years I remember that I always told her that my worst day with her was a million times better than my best day without her. I really felt that way.

Now that I know what she has done, when I look back over the past few years, my mind is flooded with many scenarios that are so representative of her ongoing lies, games, or deliberately hurtful behavior. Lies she told and games she played in order to cover up her actions and confuse others. Hurtful behaviors she engaged in that one can assume were for the purpose of inflicting pain. It is hard for anyone to understand unless I provide some examples, so I summarized them for the police and the psychiatrist so that they had more than just the facts I had gathered and submitted in my reports. Here is one of them:

" Macys-As described in the Macys report I wrote and submitted to the police, our daughter claimed she was working at Macys beginning in fall of 2008. She claimed she had the Macy’s job up until November 2011 when the baby was born.She told me her job consisted of making sales, organizing merchandize on the floors, cleaning up dressing rooms, and cataloguing merchandize after hours. Her hours “fluctuated depending on her school schedule and their need for her to come in.” Frequently she and I would be together and she would get a call that she claimed was “her supervisor calling her into work.” We would drop everything and she would “go to work.” I remember telling her how proud I was for her being so responsive and how important that was.
During her “employment” with Macys, she described multiple perks that Macys afforded their employees. First of all, she said they would “work around her college classes.” Part of this time she was supposedly attending classes at a localCommunity College and later transferred to universityas a communications major.
She also said Macys was “a great employer.” They “provided their employees with a certain number of vouchers each month for discounted plane tickets” and even though they were distributed on a first come, first served basis, she was “frequently lucky” enough to snag them for Jude and her or for her dad and I. She said that for trips around the holidays the competition was “always stiff but her supervisor liked her so she saved vouchers for her.” According to her, the vouchers were typically for flights on Southwest airlines and fares varied between $99 and $199 round trip. Whenever she got flight vouchers for her dad and me, she “made the reservations directly with the airlines” because she said she “had to give them her employee number and other information.” Each time she purchased a flight for us we would reimburse her for the price of the discounted fare, appreciative of the supposed discount especially in light of our financial problems. After the identity theft came to light, I went to Macys and found out she had never been employed there so clearly there were no travel vouchers. Moreover, my bank statements revealed that not only was I paying full fare for all of her dad’s and my flights, we were also paying full fare for flights for her and Jude as well. In the case of her dad and me, that meant we were paying full fare plus the cost associated with the non-existent Macy’s “travel voucher” that we had reimbursed her for.
She also told me about the Macys “back room”. This was an area in the store where “merchandize that had been slightly damaged, slightly stained or otherwise not saleable was stored until it was either shipped to one of their outlets or overseas.” Macys “always gave their employees the opportunity to purchase items in the “back room” at a 80%-90% discount.” She sometimes brought items home for me to see, such as clothes for her and her husband, or occasionally, items for me. I always paid her for the things she brought me. At one point, I asked her if they ever had electronics because I was looking for a small color TV for her dad to replace the one in our office and one for the house in PA. She said they occasionally did have electronics, but she was not sure if and when any color TVs might be available. Within a few days she told me about two 19” TVs there in the “back room”. She said she asked the floor manager about them and was told that “he thought one was sold but that the other was available.” A few days later she told me that they were “both available” and she brought them home. I paid her $129 for each. Since she never worked at Macys, she never had access to any “back room” or otherwise discounted merchandize. In the case of the TVs, I paid for them twice. First when she purchased them with my bank funds and then when I reimbursed her for the “discounted” price.
She always said that Macys “was active in the New York fashion week that takes place each year in February.” For two years she claimed that they “had sent her as a reward for her good work.” She said she was “simply supposed to go there and just do whatever gopher work needed to be done, but that it was an honor to be included.” One year she said she would be “attending some sort of dinner and fashion show and even though she would be working back stage she needed to dress up.” We went to the Galleria and I helped her shop for a dress. We found a beautiful blue one she liked at Cache and I bought it for her for her birthday. She thought it was too long so I took the dress home and hemmed it for her. Once I got all my bank statements and could view her postings on Facebook I determined that she indeed had been in NYC that February. Of course, since she was not working for Macys, she was in no way connected to Fashion Week, but was simply in New York for a vacation (That was in 2010 which was when I was in PA taking care of my critically ill mother for several months. She made arrangements to fly into Pittsburgh and stay for two days on her way to her “job” at fashion week.) I remember being so proud of her, not only for her supposed good work for Macys, but also for taking time to stop and visit with my mother and me on the way there.
In October 2010 the mall had a fire that caused extensive damage to many of the stores there, including Macys. Sheclaimed she was “supposed to go into work but that she had gotten a call not to come in because of the fire.” She told me she was worried about not having a job but that her supervisor, whom she had pointed out to me several times in the store, had told her that “many of the employees would be redirected to other stores as soon as possible.” Within several days she told me she had “gotten a call and they were redirecting her to another store.” She supposedly worked there until she got called back to her mall. She claimed she often had to work off hours and late at night. When I expressed concern for her safety walking to her car late at night she told me not to worry that she “made sure the security guard walked her out each night.” As I now know that she never worked at any Macy’s store for even a day, I can only attribute her vast, unnecessary elaborations to a genuine love of lying, or of “pulling one over” on her unsuspecting mother.
There was one particular occasion when I went with her into a Macys dressing room while she was trying on clothes. When she left the dressing room she left multiple items hanging there. I asked her if she was going to take them back out and return them to the appropriate racks. She replied, “Absolutely not, I have to do enough of that when I am working.” Obviously she didn’t since she never worked there.
In February 2012, I gave her $50 in cash and asked her to pick me up a Macys gift card for my sister-in-law’s birthday. She gave me the card the next day and I mailed it out with a birthday card. A few months ago, my brother told me that when my sister-in-law tried to use it, the sales person told her it was only worth $15. It appears clear now that Andrea bought only a $15 card and kept the rest of the money I gave her. I immediately sent my sister-in-law another new card."

Sorry, I know that is a long example but it is pretty indicative. There are many more. Unlike your son and the difficult child others have spoken about, she has no drug, alcohol, gambling, etc. addictions. She has just made a conscious decision to be the person she is.

COM, you are correct, the waiting is tough. Just today the detective told me they are having problems accessing the IP addresses for the fraudulent emails and asked me to send him detailed instructions on how I was able to access them. I love this guy, but if he is asking me for tech advice, we may be in trouble.

Thank you so much for the hugs and prayers. Sending the same your way.

Jeanne

Childofmine

one day at a time
Jeanne,

That story is incredible. While I was reading it, I was feeling a lot of feelings. I cannot imagine the profound sense of "otherworldness" you must be still experiencing yourself.

I remember the surreal feeling I had when I read that my ex-husband, evidently a closet binge drinker for much of our marriage, wrote in outpatient rehab that he would at times, get up out of bed in the middle of the night, go to the kitchen, sit on a chair in the dark, and drink scotch out of a bottle until he passed out.

I never knew that. We were married for 29 years and slept in the same bed for all of those years. He did "fall asleep" on the couch a lot, and now I wonder just how much he wandered around the house, drinking, passing out, crawling to the couch, or whatever.

Also, he wrote in rehab about a weekend early in our marriage when our children were little. I was out of town on a women's church retreat. He said he stayed drunk the whole weekend while taking care of our two sons, who were preschool age and early elementary school age.

I never knew that. I had no idea.

It was like I had lived with someone who had two complete and separate lives. These are just two instances I knew about, from reading what he wrote in rehab. What about all of the other lies, the other times? What about all of the situations he didn't write down?

I really lived with a complete stranger. It still feels surreal to write this down, and we have been divorced since 2008. He is now in recovery and I truly hope he is doing well.

No wonder he hated himself. No wonder he had little self-esteem. No wonder he felt the need to lie, to wear a mask so no one could see who he really was.

That is the power of addiction, in his case.

I know your daughter is not an addict, but she very clearly has a very serious problem. It's hard to understand how her mind functions, and imagine the tremendous energy it takes to maintain all of those stories and deceptions over time.

I think difficult children like her and my son, who is a drug addict, "get off on" telling those lies, managing all of it, living on the ragged edge and seeing if they can pull it off. It's a high. An adrenaline rush.

Please know that even though I can't fully understand the depth of what you have experienced, and every story is different, there are elements here that are common, like I have described below.

I do know that my ex-husband's behaviors, that I learned about at the end of our marriage, made me call into question everything about myself: my judgment about people, my naivete, my acceptance of people at face value, and on and on.

It has been the "Dark Night of the Soul" trying to come to terms with this. And finally, I have to again, bow down to the complete power and insidiousness and deception of the 40-foot-tall monster called addiction. It is pure evil.

The only good thing I can see from it is that it ultimately drives people to God, and to their own powerlessness. And that can be a very good thing.

Warm hugs for you, Jeanne. We are here for you. Keep moving forward.

COM- You are so right. There was and still is a sense of otherworldliness about the entire thing. Perhpas it is not so uncommon for people we love and feel close to to have an entirely separate life. I know I never suspected and I can certainly understand why you didn't with your ex.

I totally agree with your theory that individuals like her and perhaps your son, do get off on all the lies they tell and the excitement of seeing firsthand the chaos they create. It reinforces their belief that they are the smartest ones in the room. Our daughter certainly has a serious problem but cannot fall back on any rationale like drug or alcohol abuse. She is way too clever and way to vain. Alcohol and drugs play havoc with ones personal appearance, and it is clear to me by discovering where she was spending the money she stole, that she was more interested in living a lifestyle that she felt others would envy. I still find it incredible that she gave up the peace of mind that a life of integrity brings.

YOu are also correct in terms of how these situations make us question ourselves. I think for me it was easier however because once I discovered the truth, I found that her actions were so egregious that there was no way her dad or I could have possibly blamed ourselves for that. No parent is perfect, but there was no way we werer taking that on. On the other hand, I find my doubts now are more of the nature of, what kind of judge of character am I since I totally missed that one? Aren't good mothers supposed to have good instincts? God knows I don't have an answer for that.

Last night I posted the Macys story. If you will indulge me a bit longer, I have another angle that she constantly played and that nearly had me suicidal.

The Stop Payments- Between July 3, 2012 and 10/30/12- our daughter accessed my bank account without my authorization to put stop payments on 22 checks I wrote to pay bills during that period of time. Each of those checks has a story. Here are a few examples:

On July 3, I was in PA at our house. My brother came to the house to discuss the $20,000 loan he had given us and the problems we continued to have as we attempted to pay him back. (NOTE: In this instance, as in many others, our daughterhad stolen the money and fabricated statements showing that the money was still there---in addition to inventing non-existent banking officials who “made calls” and “sent emails” to “validate” her assertions.) Up until that date my brother had never agreed to take monthly payments, but that day I once again explained how hard I was working on getting my money from the various financial institutions where I had funds so I could repay him but was meeting dead ends everywhere. I finally got my brother to start letting me pay him monthly installments so I could at least begin paying the loan down until I got my funds freed up. I wrote him a check for $1000. I told our daughter happy I was that at least I could start paying him monthly and told her about the check I wrote him. The check bounced and my brother was furious with me. This was not the first check I had written him over the past few years that had been returned NSF. After that, he would not take any more personal checks from me. I found out in 2013 that she had put a stop payment on that check.
· I wrote three checks for our homeowners insurance and home warranty for the house in PA, three checks for water, gas, and garbage for that house, and checks for telephone and electric service for the house in Sacramento. I wrote a check for our auto insurance and I wrote three checks to Wal-Mart for groceries. She put stop payment on all twelve checks. I had to then start the long, painful process of cleaning up the mess created by twelve bounced checks.
· I was in PA in the fall of 2012 for a couple of weeks and my daugher and granddaughter were going to join me a few days after I arrived. On my way to the airport my van broke down. Luckily I was near a car repair shop. I called my cousin to come and pick me up and take me to the airport to get Andrea and Kennedy. The repair place had the van ready in two days. When I picked it up, I asked the owner to please take my out-of-state check for the $269.32 repair bill. I had no credit or debit card by that time. He finally agreed. Three days I get a call from him saying that the check was returned by the bank. I was mortified and apologized profusely. My daughter said she would “put it on her credit card and I could pay here.” She gave me the information. They said that card didn’t work. She gave me information for another card. They said that card didn’t work either. She left to return to CA and said she “would take care of that from there.” She called me a day later and said she had “taken care of it and I could reimburse her when I returned to CA.” In the meantime, I was in tears talking to the owner of the repair place twice a day and he was convinced I was simply scamming him. He said they still had no payment and that he was now going to report me to the state police. By that time, I had scraped together almost enough cash to pay him that way but had a flight back to CA. I promised him that if he did not report me to the state police I would have my cousin take him the cash by the end of the week. He reluctantly agreed. My cousin delivered the cash. After discovering the identity theft, I learned that she had placed a stop payment on the check to the repair shop.
· I had made a purchase at Big Lots and paid with a check. The check bounced twice, because she had put a stop payment on it. Finally, Big Lots sent it to collections agency. I called them and apologized profusely and promised them payment immediately. I sent them a check for the original purchase and the fees and fines that had accrued by that time. After discovering the identity theft, I learned that she had put a stop payment on that check as well. I then contacted the collection agency and send them payment in full.

I realize some people might wonder how I could be so stupid in not suspecting her. Well, at the time, I felt I had no reason to suspect her at all. I was receiving regular letters and emails from my bank telling me they were working on my account problems and that they were getting things straightened out. The correspondence was coming from higher and higher up the chain of command and each was expressing his/her frustration with how long my problems had continued. The emails, statements, and letters all had letterhead etc. and looked totally legitimate. The police are still trying to figure how she forged such realistic documents.

I am so sorry for these long posts. I will try to curtail them from now own.

COM- once again, I think you profoundly for your kindness and support.
Dammitjanet- I see the similarities in the outrageous stories. Let's hope our situation has a better outcome.

Childofmine

one day at a time
Jeanne, I know when I write things like you have above it is so helpful to me. It helps me process. Feel free to do what you need to do on this board to help yourself as well as others.

There is something so cold, so calculating, so distant and so reptilian (I see a snake just watching, not blinking, waiting to strike, enjoying the waiting, the writhing of the prospective victim) about your daughter listening to you and being a bystander to your confusion, upset, embarrassment, fear and running around trying to fix every single mess that she created.

You can't make this stuff up, it would be too hard to think of it.

Human beings continue to surprise---and shock----me. What we are capable of, at both ends of the spectrum. We are capable of the most profound kindness and generosity and also the most insidious meanness and lack of compassion for other people. I guess that is the full spectrum of being human.

Thankfully, most people are somewhere in the middle and we all have flashes of both greatness and meanness. When we see someone who premeditates and continues with behaviors like you describe, we can only conclude there is serious mental deficiency or illness present. There is something essential lacking. What else could we possibly conclude?

Where is the empathy? Where is the compassion? Where is the love? Where is the responsibility? Where is the kindness? Where is the gentleness? Where is the attachment?

These are profoundly human qualities and qualities that influence our behavior every day. We can't escape them, most of us, thankfully.

Jeanne, I am working to accept, and not deflect, deny or hide my head in the sand, about the truth of humanity. That the world is just plain made up of all kinds of people, and that is reality and that is part of life and actually, that is part of the natural order of things. I stop short of saying that God decrees this type of behavior and downright evil, because I do not think He does, but he does allow free will and the natural workings of the world. But I digress.

As I work to open my eyes to reality, it helps me continue to decide what kind of person I want to be. How I want to spend my time. How I want to spend my energy.

Love messes up the equation I am working toward. Life = messy, ugly, wonderful I am messy, ugly, wonderful. difficult child is messy, ugly, wonderful. I love difficult child and I want to accept all of him and quit struggling against who he is and how he behaves. To find a way for him to be in my life, and for that to work for me.

How does he fit within my life? I am learning to love him from a distance. That works better for me, today. I can take him in small doses, very small doses. I am leaving him alone for the most part, today, for myself. That has slowly changed over time. For a while I could not leave him alone, and I was completely enmeshed. I was like a person wrapped in fishing net (difficult child). When the net moved, I moved. Then, I slowly started disentangling myself from the net, but the motivation was for him. I started seeing that my over-involvement was not good for him. I still didn't really care about myself. I could only start doing what I thought would be better for him. He was so much more important than I was.

Today, I am just as important as he is. I can't change another person, place or thing. I just can't. I had lost myself in difficult child, and that wasn't the first time. I was always setting myself aside for someone else, to the point of ridiculousness. That is not a good way to be. It is not valuing myself and taking care of myself and learning my own limitations. It is a crazy combination of arrogance and low self-esteem.

I am learning to value myself, and I am learning how to life that new life, which is a much better, more balanced life. It is a much less reactive life, in all of my relationships. I am learning to say no. I am learning to set limits for myself and other people (boundaries). I am learning about peace, contentment, joy, serenity. I am living within myself, not through other people.

It is work I should have done a long, long time ago but where was the motivation? I did what I knew how to do, to survive, until that didn't work anymore.

Jeanne, thank you for opening up to us and for sharing here. You are helping me with your story. Blessings and hugs and strength for the journey ahead I wish for you.

DammitJanet

Jeanne I truly believe your daughter had so much of this planned. I think I have mentioned that I was a difficult child as a teen. I did things I am not proud of but I would have never considered anything like this. In order to con my father out of money I would make up lies to tell him things like I had a flat tire and needed to get it fixed. There was no flat tire. There is no doubt in my mind that had I screwed him over like your daughter has done to you I would have never heard from him again and I would still be rotting in jail. There is one big difference in me and your daughter though. My mother was evil and so very abusive. In many ways the book Mommy Dearest could have been written about my life. My dad wasnt so bad but he gave up long ago trying to save me in any way.

By the way I am going to try to private message you which is now called a conversation. You should see a number up on the top right hand side of the page next to the word Conversations. Click on that and you will see what I write to you.

SuZir

I'm simply flabbergasted by your story. Your daughter's deceit is simply so huge, so cold, cruel and planned and apparently came without any warning, at least you haven't mentioned having big issues with her as a kid. And let's face it, if you had, you wouldn't have trusted her like that.

For me it is quite easy to understand how someone cons money in desperation, or impulsively. Making up a lie to get some money like Janet described. Not nice behaviour,but easy to wrap your mind around. After all, I'm sure most of us have come up with a fib or lie time or two to get out of trouble etc. But long term, calculated con like that and pulled against family. It is just totally reprehensible.

I do hope that the process starts to speed up and you can get your finances in order. And that after it goes to court, your son-in-law is able to see the truth and you will have an access to your grandchildren.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

witzend

Jeanne - I wonder if you might want to take actual names out of your posts. Your daughter may be looking for you online - you can never know how crafty they will be - and with the combination of information you have given us, she could easily find you. This is why we call our kids "difficult child 1" or "M" and none of us use our real names or locales. You have told us your first name, the vicinity you live in, your past work, your current work, your other home states, where your mother and family live, your daughter and granddaughters names, when and where you traveled, etc. You might consider going to the pages you have posted on and doing a "find/replace" in the edit tab. Some of your posts with identifying information are a bit old, so you might need the mods to help you. You might consider changing your screen name as well.

BusynMember

jeanne, while reading this very sad story, I can't help but think at how BRILLIANT your daughter is and how she so DID NOT have to resort to this huge betrayal and theft of you who loved her so much. With her mind she could have started her own legitimate business and made her own money. It was not in any way easy to concoct this deceit. Most of our difficult children have the impulse control and foresight of a challenged chipmunk. Your daughter thought and planned and did and succeeded, in a negative way.

I wish you well, hope you get to the bottom of this, and then move on with your husband to spent the rest of your days doing nothing but treating yourselves like royalty. You deserve it.

COM, you are so right in your description of how cold and calculating her actions were. The snake analogy is very appropriate. As for the empathy, compassion, love, responsibility, and attention, there obviously was none despite her ongoing effort to pretend which she did absolutetly flawlessly. I had no doubt she had those qualitities because she demonstrated them and more every day. One the topic of acceptance, so far I seemed to have few problems accepting who she turned out to be once I discovered the depth and breath of her treachry. Was it horrible? Yes. Was it devastiating? Yes. Is it still unbelieveable? Absolutely. But, it was not hard to deny once all the truth came out. Again, we have had it easier than some of you who have heard promise after promise that your difficult child will change. We have been spared that.
You spoke of loving your child. I totally understand how and why you do. I would too if I were in your shoes, I am sure. I cannot say the same for me and it feels so surreal. I don't know what I feel at this point. I can't say I feel love. Maybe someday, depending on circumstances. At this point, I feel like she is just someone I thought I knew and loved with every part of my being. I can't love who she is now.
DammitJanet-there is no doubt in my mind that she had everything planned, maybe not in its entirity, but clearly for days and weeks in advance of what she intended to do. I had to laugh though when you described yourself as a a former difficult child. You have to admit that my daughter makes your former self look like an amateur. Given your circumstances, it is not wonder you had difficulties. So glad, things got better for you. As a person who was blessed with an incredible mother, I cannot imagine how you and others in your shoes lived through it.
SuZir- You are correct in your assessment that we never had any major issues with her as a kid. I had forgotten to make that clear. We experienced some of what we considered fairly normal teenage antics but nothing that she was not held accountable for and for which she expressed what seemed to be sincere remorse. She was an underachiever scholastically but had lots of friends and hardly ever missed school. When we grew concerned about the public school she was in, we switched her to a Christian school where the worst trouble she got into with the administration was a one day expulsion for wearing a logo on her polo shirt. Her teachers liked her.
I pray you are correct in that we will be able to see our little grandchildren at some point. That is perhaps the greatest loss of all.
Witzend- thank you so much for your suggestion. I totally agree and really messed up when I included a couple of names I had not edited out. I am not so concerned about her finding me since she can do that any day of the week, but I absolutely did not mean to put names in there. Actually, your post helped me in a different way as well. I thought I was doing fine with all this and able to weather things pretty well, but today after I realized I had made that mistake I had an anxiety attack and back spasm. Funny how our minds work. That told me that I was not as tough as I thought I was if a small mistake can send me into such a tizzy. That also told me maybe I needed to take a little better care of myself whatever that means. I will try to edit accordingly and hope I can make the corrections. Thank you again for caring.
Midwest Mom- I agree with your assessment that she has to be brilliant to have pulled this off. Clearly she did not have to resort to the things she did. She had everything she needed to be something wonderful. She actually did start her own business and I actually did meet one of her clients. Later on though, she stopped actually working at the business and just used it to explain why to her husband and us why she had always money.

If you all will indulge me, I wanted to share with you the details of what took place on our mortgage that eventually ended us in bankruptcy. It is pretty unbelievable to us even now. I will break it up in two posts.
Home Mortgage nightmare- due to our daughter's ongoing theft and subsequent cover-up, for more than two years my husband and I have been engaged in a battle with our mortgage company that entailed them putting our home for public auction five times, us filing a lawsuit against them, and us enduring the ongoing stress of imminent foreclosure. Simply put, the mortgage company maintained that we had not made our monthly payments for some time, and since we owed far less than what the house was worth, they were anxious to foreclose. For months I called, wrote, and argued with their representatives nearly on a daily basis. They insisted we had not made payments, but I never got consistent responses on exactly what payments were supposedly missing and what was the total amount of arrearages was. At this time, I had no idea that our daughter had assumed my identity, accessed my bank account, halted our monthly mortgage payment, pocketed the mortgage money, and spent it every month.
We applied for a Loan Modification with them as a way to stave off the sale pending resolution of the issue. As stated above, we were totally unaware of our daughter’s duplicity. We knew we had made all payments and were confident that we would not actually need the loan modification. When I had an account with a local, the payments to the mortgage company were on AutoPay. When I switched to a Credit Union due to problems with my bank, my daughter had supposedly set up the monthly mortgage payments through Bill Pay. The Loan Modification application required two months of bank statements among a plethora of other documents. I was having trouble accessing my new credit union records so she volunteered to get the statements for me online.
The Loan Modification process was a nightmare, consisting of lost or misplaced paperwork, and a revolving door of their representatives all pointing at each other as the person responsible for evaluating our claim. They rejected our paperwork as incomplete and later said that same paperwork was complete. They claimed they never received the paperwork and then later said they had found it. They denied the application twice but then claimed it was still pending. Finally, they denied it again but refused to give a reason. I had no idea that her offers of help were simply manipulations designed to continue to cover her theft activities, keep us in the dark, obfuscate any genuine resolution of financial problems, and bankroll her expensive lifestyle.
At the same time the mortgage company was supposedly reviewing our request for a loan modification, I was meeting regularly with one of their home loan officers who found my distress and bewilderment to be sincere and who was trying valiantly to get our situation resolved. By this time, my daughter has purportedly been able to print off months’ worth of online statements from my credit union account and obtain a “payment history” from my former bank account when I was unable to. All documents showed the mortgage payments were made. Armed with what I considered to be incontrovertible proof, I took these documents to my meetings with this representative. Our daugher brought her baby and went with me. I was so appreciative of this representative’s attempts to assist us because he would immediately get on his phone and try to talk to people to get the situation resolved. He kept telling everyone this “is a no brainer” because “these people have proof”. (It is important to note that even he did not discern that her documents were forgeries, so cleverly did she forge them.) But even he was getting passed from one department to another and from one representative to another. No one was willing or able to help.
Finally, during a meeting on August 8, 2012, that same home loan officer informed me that he had just learned that our home was being sold at public auction on August 10th. He was as stunned as I was, but there was absolutely nothing he could do because he had no authority to halt the sale. I called my husband to tell him what had happened, and left immediately for the mortgage company office where they were supposed to be handling our loan modification. I was totally hysterical by that time. On my way there, my daughter called me and I told her what had happened. I basically stormed the doors of the Loan Modification Office and insisted on meeting with one of the representatives who was supposedly working on our request. I was shaking with fury and anxiety. I showed him the bank statements from my credit union and the payment history from my former bank and told him I was not leaving the premises until he did something. Again, a banking official did not discern the forged nature of her documents. He said it did look like they had made an error and possibly misapplied our payments to another account. While I was there he sent a message to their Executive Office indicating that he would recommend halting the sale if at all possible. He had no explanation for why they would sell the house while the loan modification application was still pending. (Part 1)