Adult daughter will not speak to us.

rosebud

We are seniors and our daughter is in her fifties. She gets mad if she doen't get her own way and won't speak to us for weeks. This time its harder to forgive such things. Her father has been in rehab since he broke his hip.It's going on 3 months now. How can we handle this ? He father said just say nothing and wait it out ! I was wondering if others have this type of problem I have enough to worry about with out this extra stress. Why does she have to hurt us?

Rose

Marguerite

If she's in her fifties and behaving this way, then the best thing you can do is to harden yourselves and not let her hurt you. It is her problem, not yours. She behaves like a spoilt child, it is something inside her and not something you did to her. She is an adult who can make her own choices. But if she knows it upsets you, then she has leverage on you and will continue to play the passive aggressive game.

Even if you can't switch off the hurt, do your best to not show it.

I'm in my fifties and haven't had my parents around for 15 years. She doesn't know how lucky she is.

Marg

rosebud

Thanks Marguerite

Your words have helped a lot . Yes I think you are right its like a game to her. We will say nothing till she contacts us. Have a good day Rose