"Adult" difficult children Living in a Shed in the Backyard ?

busywend

in my humble opinion - better than having a gumpy, nasty, mean difficult child under foot! Rent or no rent, I like my peace!

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
I've been thinking about this thread. When I was 18, just starting college I lived with my Grandpa. Totally normal relationship, but of course, I needed some freedom. He had an "attic" over the garage that I converted to a bedroom. It wasn't tall enough to stand in really, just barely I think. There was water downstairs in the laundry room, but I had to go in the house to use the kitchen and bathroom. I did it just fine, and probably would've done it again at that age. I wasn't home a lot, had my stuff, didn't worry about elements (this was So Cal). I did this for months until I ended up moving back home and then back out again.

I was a super good kid, but yeah, this was the time I got my first boyfriend and wanted to have sex, started drinking and smoking a little bit. I just needed an area that my friends and I could hang out without having Grandpa hear us.

husband (difficult child in a husband) now has a garage for his "shed" where he can geek out on computers. It's insulated at least. We do have a shed. I can't imagine my daughter wanting to make that a bedroom, but really, if it were weatherproofed, bug proofed and had electricity, I could see it being a hideout (if there weren't lawn tools in it). Would I rather have her living in a shed then being homeless, yep.

It's of course not moving out, but it's moving out of earshot. If I had a trailer that had a kitchette and bathroom in back that was hooked up to the plumbing and electricity, and daughter said she wanted to live in that while going to college, I'd be fine with it.

But I also don't share well and really dream of a day that she's moved out and husband is dead. I'd get the place all to myself (insert evil wicked laugh here). I really like being by myself, in my own space. It can be spotless or flithy, my choice. I could stay up late, or sleep in and nobody else's sounds in the house would wake me up.