advice needed for crying baby

Marguerite

Letting them cry - I hate it. I was made to do it when difficult child 3 was only a few weeks old. I actually did try it, it was awful. In his case - he was a hungry baby. I had plenty of milk for him, but the baby care nurse at the clinic couldn't beleive that it was heqalthy for him to take as much in a single feed, in such a short time, as he was doing. They said he was unsettled and crying because he as getting colic from TOO MUCH milk. All I had wanted was a test-weigh, what I got form my clinic visit was being made to cut his feeds in half then make him go to bed.

No way would he sleep. I gave up after a week of torture and went back to feeding him as much as he wanted, and he settled back down again.

At 7 months (and at other times) babies change their patterns and their habits. They are starting on solids (if you haven't started them already) and there can be all sorts of issues.

1) There could be a food sensitivity causing a tummy ache problem. Watch what the baby is eating, maybe ease back on possible risky foods. The best first foods are NOT the cereals (as a lot of us were taught) but a small amount of protein, or a little fruit. When easy child was a baby I was avoiding wheat but we were told that first solids should be cereal, so we fed her on rice cereal mixed with breast milk. Then I mixed the rice cereal with fruit juice instead of cows milk because we were avoiding all cows milk until 12 months old. But by the time I had difficult child 3, his first solids were - he sucked on a pear I was eating (so he got the flavour and maybe a bit of the natural juice) and then I spoonfed him the gravy from an Aussie meat pie I was eating, the next day. It was midwinter, the pie was warm, difficult child 3 couldn't get enough of it. You can make a meat stock by boiling up some scraps of meat with some vegetables. Even just the broth is a healthy nutritious feed for a baby. If you puree in some of the vegetables and meat, you get the solids as well. Avoid adding salt in any amount, it's too easy for a baby to get too much and salt will make the baby thirsty. Not good when their tummies won't hold enough liquid to dilute the salt they may have ingested.

2) The baby may simply have reached a point where he wants to explore more, but is frustrated due to being tired and not recognising it. I went through this with easy child 2/difficult child 2 at about 7 months. She was a terror. I could hear from her cry that she was tired. But she fought going to bed. I tried everything - I tried cuddling her and she snuggled in and was sleepy, but still crying. So I tried just putting her in her bed, and she screamed in outrage. She would sit there screaming louder and louder, you could hear how angry she was too. But she would be sitting there screaming, swaying with fatigue, eyes closing, and still screaming. Then she would fall asleep sitting up, fall over and when her head hit the pillow she would wake and start screaming all over again. This kept on for a month or so, then she finally worked out how to sleep. After that, I would put her to bed and she would tuck her nose in and close her eyes in determination.

3) There could be something else wrong, including separation anxiety. This is normal at a certain age, when babies suddenly realise thta mother is NOT merely an extension of themselves but a separate individual who is capable of coming and going independently. The child will scream to make sure the mother doesn't go away, but stays attached via umbilical cord. It's a "Don't leave me! I'm a vulnerable baby, you need to stay with me permanently!" type of cry.

4) I had problems with easy child suddenly 'changing' from good baby, to hellion. She was 6 weeks old and the change was dramatic. It turned out to be me - I had been taking avitamin C supplement so it could be excreteed in my milk and boost her immune system. All fine, until I ran out of my usual supply and switched to a drink supplement instead. I HAD been taking pure calcium ascorbate, but I switched to an orange-coloured, orange-flavoured drink base. The problem turned out to be the orange colouring. A few months later easy child got thrush nad the treatment was an orange-colouredmedicien which totally sent her ballistic. She would scream and scream,constantly through the day. Non-stop. Nothing helped. She fought every meal, she fought every feed. She fought going to bed, she fought waking up. So we switched to a spearmint-flavoured lozenge (the only alternative delivery of that drug) and I had to crush the lozenges and mix them with her rice cereal. She hated it and fought while I dosed her, but the battles were only over the dosage. The rest of the time she was a darling, she was fighting the lozenges because she hated the taste now, and not because of a colouring reaction.

So if there has been achange in the baby's behaviours - check out and make a list of any other changes to the baby's environment, including changes to food, drink, any chemicals in the baby's environment and yes, teething possibilities.

I broke a lot of rules with difficult child 3. He actually was a very good baby (giving the lie to difficult children generally being challenging as babies). I CHOSE to cuddle him to sleep because he was MY baby and I love cuddlnig babies. Contrary to what people said, it didn't spoil him. It gave me a golden opportunity to relax. There is something very relaxing about snuggling with your baby in the rocking chair, and singing him to sleep. Often I would nap too, and wake very refreshed. But at about 3 months old, difficult child 3 began getting to a certain point in the sleep-time cuddle, then leaving away and looking for his bed. When I carried him, still singing to him, into his room, he would almost leap out of my arms into his bed and immediately turn his nose in and close his eyes. I would cover him up and he would be asleep before I was out the door.
It was that easy, because HE worked it out for himself and all I had done, was go along with what he wanted. Being tuned into my baby meant I was giving him what he wanted all along. And now with hindsight - of course it makes sense, he is always happiest when I 'read his mind" and let him have what he wants, as long as what he wants is reasonable and what I would be giving him anyway (such as meals, at mealtimes).

Some doctors really do need their heads examined. Raising achild is NOT a competition between the adult and child, for control. It is a process of the child learning about the world and how to interact with it, with the adult facilitating that process and ensuring in the meantime that the child's needs are considered, with avew to the child's welfare and safety.

Letting a baby cry just to prove a point - nope. Letting a baby cry when all other options have been exhausted - if you have to, it sometimes is the only option. As with easy child 2/difficult child 2 when she had to learn how to sleep - she was tired, she needed to sleep but she was fighting sleep. We had to endure that. I don't know if cuddling her to sleep would have taught her anything, or would have prevented the crying. She was upset because she was too tired to play, and having me try to play with her wouldn't have changed that.

So what I suggest -

1) Consistency. Whatever a parent does, there needs to be a routine and consistency. The baby needs to have some idea of what to expect and what to rely on.

2) Follow your instincts. If the advice you're given feels wrong, or if you try it and it's a disaster, listen to your heart.

3) Take note of any changes in the baby's behaviour, diet, environment, health status and level of attention to everything. THis could simply be a normal stage the baby is growing through, but he may need help to work out how to respond to these changes.

4) Some things to try - cuddle to sleep (not every time, but occasionally, to see how it works compared to other times). A bedtime routine especially for evening which involves the same sequence - dinner, bath, towel-dry, oil massage (more later), cuddle, story reading in bed, maybe cuddle until the baby is asleep (in his own bed).

5) Something I did for easy child (and again for difficult child 3) - I would pick the child up BEFORE he/she cried. I would keep an ear on the child and while ever the noises were happy, I left the baby. But at the first change in voice, the beginning of a whimper or complaint, I would pick the baby up and tell them how happy I was with them for playing so well alone. The child needs to learn to self-amuse, but this shouldn't be taken for granted. If other members of the ape family carry their babies everywhere and watch them closely, then perhaps we should do more of this too, not less. It worked for Jane Goodall's son...

Now, to baby massage. YOu can use any vegetable oil. The younger the baby, the better it is to leave the oil unscented. You can also use baby powder, but I prefer oil.
If you want to scent the oil, do it VERY lightly with an oil like lavender or rose. These are calming oils. For a boy, you can moderate the rose perfume with a little sandalwood. A little goes a LONG way...
Only do this while the baby enjoys it. This should never be forced onto anyone. Do it asmuch or as little as he can tolerate.

To massage the baby, try to have the oil in a convenient container, preferably kept warm. A squeezie bottle which you have sitting in a cup of warm water, is good. Or squeeze it onto your hands and let your hands warm the oil. Begin either on the torso, or on the limbs. If the limbs, then work the oil from the shoulders down the arms to the fingers. Gently massage each little finger, always working towards the fingertips. Use long gentle strokes for the arm, gentle massage on the fingers. If it's cold (you shouldtry to have warm room if you can) then drape a towel back over the baby where you're not working with the oil.
The torse - again, work form the centre outward. Long gentle strokes. If you can, overlap one hand with the other, so the feelnig for the baby is one continuous rub form the centre outwards. Be gentle, this is not shiatsu. THis is relaxing touch, not heavy pressure.
Legs - as for arms, work from the thigh down to the toes, gently massage oil into the toes and between. Avoid tickling.

Try to avoid putting scented oil on the baby's genital area. However, the nappy area in general will benefit from an oil layer. Just avoid putting scented oil on the scrotum (in boys) or vulva (in girls) because the essential oils can irritate. Otherwise - don't be squeamish, the baby doesn't understand why you might leave one area totally untouched. Be sensible about it. The main aim is to relax the baby. THis can be done for children of all ages (including adult partners) but for older children, definitely avoid the genital area. It's all about learning to understand and recognise appropriate touching. The lesson can begin at any age but older children can learn to still enjoy a massage but also respect their modesty.

For older children who are shy about it - try a hand massage. Or a foot massage. Be wary of tickle areas, sometimes rubbing a bit more firmly can help overcome a tickle. Or just avoiding that area. If a child's foot is too ticklish, then do a hand massage.

As I said before - cooking oil is perfectly OK. Often best, because it's natural, it's not got any additives in it and if it's safe enough for us to eat, it's safe enough to put on your body.

I hope she can find some answers that help.

Marg

susiequte

White noise has worked well for my baby. We have a fan in his room (not blowing on him) and the sound drowns out all the other noises of the house. If my baby can hear the tv in the other room, or someone talking down the hall...he is awake!

jbrain

Hi All,
Marg, what you described with easy child 2/difficult child 2 sounds like what E told me. She said he is obviously tired--he is rubbing his eyes, but he won't sleep. I told her he is probably overtired. She said it is like he is exhausted but gets a second wind.

He's been eating solids for a while now--formula wasn't enough, he was hungry. He's a big boy too. E is only 4'11" and about 100 lbs--he is 20 lbs at 7 months and long too I guess. His dad is very tall. He'll probably be bigger than her when he gets to middle school!

She didn't call me yet but when she does I will mention all these things. I also plan to get her a copy of The Explosive Child if he does show signs of being like she was as a toddler. Wish I would have had that when she was little, might have helped.

Jane

Fran

Former desparate mom
Marguerite, I so agree about setting up an advesarial relationship with babies or a competition to be in charge. It's ridiculous. I'm a benevolent dictator based on where they are developmentally. You have to see what the child needs. I don't believe it diminishes my role as a parent.
The instant knee jerk reaction to "let them cry it out" without trying to find the cause is similar to "boys will be boys" when husband and I were faced with our difficult child's difficult behavior. Hogwash!
My difficult child was similar to yours in that he was my easier baby until he could walk/run.

M

ML

Gosh I still remember those days. It was the beginning of realizing the two schools of thought on parenting. Nurturing vs tough love. I agree that she needs to follow her gut and that the "just right" approach is typically somewhere in the middle for most of us. Manster was collicky and I tried the cry it out approach which would seem like it was working and then all of a sudden he'd get (another) ear infection or virus and need extra comfort and we'd have to start all over again. Of course I know now about he sensory stuff.

I wrote a little poem once when trying to let him cry it out. A couple of the versus went like this:

Welcome aboard the train of complain
Manster's conducting his chorus of pain
Don't want not bottle, no food, no breast
My only goal is to put you to test

Hear the whistle
It's time to embark
Manster will tell you his story
From morning till dark

Welcome Aboard
No Fair is too steep
Ain't No Way
You'll ever get sleep

There's more but I can't remember at the moment.

Hugs and good luck!

ML

DDD

Another thought came to mind. Perhaps the baby has outgrown the bedtime that used to be perfect. One of my sd's put her first baby to bed at 6 PM come H or high water. At 7 months I assume the baby is crawling and active. If there is too much napping (or not evough..lol) it can really mess up bedtime. I have grey hair and it drives me nuts when I go to bed based on habit and then discover I'm not sleepy. I don't cry :redface: but I sure as heck get up until I feel ready. DDD

trinityroyal

Food. It's definitely worth a thought.

Little easy child was terribly lactose intolerant as a baby. Until I stopped nursing him and started using lactose-free formula, he would have a fit of the screaming meemies from about 10 pm until 3 am, when all the gastric pain was done.

He was also a very BIG and very HUNGRY lad. Started him on solid foods at about 3 1/2 months, and he started sleeping through the night.

Marguerite

DDD, that's a good point. Babies are always growing and changing, what works one week may no longer work the next. It's a matter of being able to observe te child and try to respond to what the child wants. They can't talk, and they do expect (until they are old enough to know better) that their mothers can read their minds!

A thought, on the baby's size - what was his birth weight? We had problems with easy child which nobody has been able to clarify until a few months ago. I had a brilliant, very observant gynaecologist who spotted a problem while I was pregant - he put me in hospital immediately and I was having tests every second day. The problem - placental insufficiency. She was basically malnourished before birth, the placenta was dying prematurely and as a result she was born underweight. She made up for it fast, she doubled her birthweight by 6 weeks.
You know how dieting too drasticallyslows your metabolism and can lead to insulin resistance? Well, I've been told by a doctor (whose daughter had the same problem) that our daughters' current weight problems (as in badly overweight) are due to this early bad start.

Another possible problem - again, I've seewn this but thankfully not personally. If there was any gestational diabetes (even if it was undetected) then the baby can be born accustomed to a higher than normal blood glucose level. It's like the opposite of what easy child had. I remember a baby I knew, his mother did not have good medical care during her pregnancy and in her next pregnancy she developed full-blown diabetes (which often happens when previous pregnancies' blood sugar levels are not well controlled). THis baby boy was always hungry. Unbeleivably hungry. Breast milk was no way enough, so she put him on formula almost imediately. By two weeks old he was still unable to be satisfied, so the baby was started on solids. It was the only way she could quiet him down. And the baby grew, and grew... He piled on the weight despite always screaming for more food. He was a very hungry baby.
Theory - he was hungry, because before birth he had been used to all the extra sugar his mother's blood had been pouring into him. After he was born his brain craved te same sugar level but since he had a normally functioning pancreas, attaining that level of blood sugar just wasn't possible without major bingeing.

Outcome - I last saw that boy when he was about 8 years old (the family moved away). He had a massive weight problem. He was such an overweight baby that he didn't walk until he was over two years old; his little legs simply couldn't pick him up. In other ways he was perfectly normal, but his mother had concerns about his weight. He was bullied a lot for his weight, I actually stopped a group of kids from attacking him and told them to leave him alone, it wasn't his fault.

Babies born to mothers with gestational diabetes are at risk of being badly overweight. If the diaetes isn't easily controlled (and this happens with gestational diabetes especially) then all the extra sugar in the mother's blood, goes onto the baby as fat. This can put both mother and baby at risk, the baby often has to be delivered by caesarean.

When I was in hospital on bed rest expecting easy child, I was on a ward full of women with gestational diabetes. I had it thoroughly explained to me. One woman had the most stable blood sugar levels, she was actually allowed to go home most weekends. Her blood sugars were well-controlled with insulin.
We found out why, later on - she didn't have gestational diabetes after all, she had pancreatic cancer. Her islets of Langerhans weren't simply temporarily misbehaving, they had been permanently destroyed. The woman was in a coma when the baby was delivered by caesarean; they turned off life-support after the surgery. Very sad. But because her condition had been well-managed (as far as blood sugar levels) her baby was normal in size and had no problems. We actually crossed paths with the family six months later, they attended the same church that husband's parents did, we found out all this at Christmas.

So consider his pre-natal history. How big was he when he was born? If he was much smaller than he shouldhave been, there could have been a placenta problem. If he was bigger than average, consider the possibility that his mother may have had a somewhat wonky pancreatic function; in which case, next pregnancy, she needs to ask the doctor to keep a close watch on her blood sugar levels and also to test her urine for sugar regularly. Getting it mildly in an earlier pregnancy often means getting a more obvious case next time. Gestational diabetes should resolve after the pregnancy, but does need to be loooked after. If there is a chance that this was a problem, it could explain him being hungry.

But then - I had no trace of diabetes during my pregnancy with difficult child 3, but he was born a hungry baby. However, I was able to produce enough milk for him. And I was able to keep him off solids until 6 months of age, I had enough milk and it was rich enough.

Just to make it clear - if there was a problem either with the placenta before birth, or with maternal diabetes in any way - it is no longer a problem FOR HIM. What would be the problem now, would be what his brain thinks he should have. If there is any concern here, talk to the doctor and consider asking to see a pediatric endocrinologist. But that would only be indicated if he already has a weight problem. Behaviour alone, I don't think it would be warranted.

I hope that isn't too confusing.

Marg

jbrain

Hi Marg,
I don't think there were any prenatal problems--he was 3 weeks early and weighed 5 lbs, 11 oz. I think E is upset because he was on a sort of schedule and now he has messed it up. When I was on the phone with her Friday I could hear him "talking." What a vocal baby! He was loud, too. He was babbling the whole time. He also loves to "stand" and has no interest in crawling. He probably is just not going to be an "easy" child which is exactly what I would have predicted.

E didn't call this weekend so I couldn't tell her all your replies but when I talk to her I will.

Thanks again, everyone!

Hugs to all,
Jane

Marguerite

THanks for the feedback, Jane. That's good news about his early start. I just wanted to make you aware of the possibilities in that area. But as I said - I had no such problems with difficult child 3, but he was a hungry baby who did a lot of growing.

From what you say, I think he's just a mentally and physically active baby, possibly wanting stimulation. She may need to get him into a new routine, including an evening calm-down. Reading to him may work out well because it is also stimulation, it is also working his mind but it can help physically calm him ready for bed. They're never too young to be read to - my sister read to her babies from birth.

I hope he settles soon for her.

Marg

Star*

call 911........call 911
I am chiming in late - but wanted to add my thought - because

Dude was a puker. I said jokingly that it was my revenge for 8 months of morning, noon and night sickness with him. :sick:

At 7 months I couldn't take it much more. He did sleep but he cried a lot. I did the - let him cry it out thing - and it never worked. They tested his (and those who are medical forgive my spellings but) Bili rubin count and found out that he was jaundiced. I had to put him in the sun three times a day and give iron supplements (I think - heck he's 18 my memory is foggy)

Then they did an X-ray at 7 months for Pyloric-Stenosis. As I understood it the valve at the top of his stomach may have been immature allowing the vomiting, crying and wincing. I know you didn't say he's vomiting - but he could have really bad gas. AND for anyone that recommends GasX for a baby - take it yourself the next time you are full of methane.. OMG it hurts like crazy so never gave it to Dude.

I think he's due for a well-baby checkup. It could be when he lays down he's getting fluid in his ears causing pressure and discomfort. Is he tugging at his ears? Can she try to elevate his crib mattress?

Dude was colicy = and the ONLY thing that put him to sleep the first few months was a vacuum cleaner running - YUP - I'd turn it upside down, let it run - and set him not too far from the noise....that and going for a ride in the car at night.

My bet would be ears - or tummy.

But nothing is going to be better than her pediatritian seeing our sweet little lamb.

jbrain

Hi Star,
she did take him to the pediatrician and he's the one who said Liam's seeking attention, let him cry it out. One good thing about E--she calls the dr. when she has a question, even if it seems like a dumb one. She also follows the dr.'s advice on stuff like sunglasses for Liam and hat, etc. Funny how she never followed any authority figure's instructions til now :)!

By the time I hear from her again he may have moved on to some other thing but at least I am now armed with lots of experienced moms' advice!

Hey, she is finally making a connection with "consequences" too. She said that she is tired of stripping for a living but can't go to college because even with the aid the state would give her she doesn't have enough money with having Liam to take care of. Long ago I told her that life has its own consequences--it isn't just parents providing them. I told her sometimes the consequences take years to show up too. Well, here is a consequence of having lived her life the way she has--she is stuck with a job she doesn't like, not enough money, and a baby to raise alone since biodad is a loser and she knew he was a loser when she got pregnant. He already had 2 children he didn't see or provide money for. Oh well, if she wants to change things she will have to take a longer view--come up with a plan to be in a different space in a few years and not just live for the moment.

Thanks!
Jane

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jane

I just saw this and haven't read thru the other replies...........

This is new behavior? Any new foods she's added to his diet? Something may not be agreeing with him. Process of elimination could possibly weed it out.

Is she letting him get over tired? This is a common thing with new young parents and not easy to get the hang of telling when the baby is growing tired. Luckily both my girls have had me there to point it out to them. easy child just went thru this with Brandon. We now know when his eyes get a little red ring to them....he needs a nap asap regardless of schedule.

Maybe he is not ready for sleep when she's attempting to put him down. Sleep needs change as an infant ages and develops. easy child and Nichole discovered this when their kids were ready to drop the morning nap for just an afternoon nap.....and finally believed me once they were ready to pull out their hair.

Crying it out is ok, if these other things are not a factor. But there is a method to crying it out. Let the baby cry for 15 mins. Go in and give comfort, settle baby until no crying and calm, put baby down again. This usually needs repeated several times before baby drifts off. But enough of this technique and baby will start to go to sleep normal again.

Hugs

K

Kjs

I got up every single night with easy child...I was single and young. finally pediatrician told me to let him cry. As long as it takes. He was about the same age. I let him cry the first night. He cried for about 30 minutes and never woke up again.

Then there was difficult child. He cried for the entire first year of his life, due to colic, ear infections, walking pneumonia...etc He NEVER slept. Never napped...But we had to get up with him because he was always sick.

Good luck.