Advice on a fridge lock?

TerryJ2

I found a nice locking French door fridge for a cpl thousand dollars. NOT! And a 2 cu ft fridge for a dorm room that stores 5 cans of Coke and mini-pizzas. Sigh.
I'd like to keep the small extra fridge we have now, which is about 5 cu ft, and put a lock on that. Or, put a lock on the big, regular fridge/freezer in the kitchen. I found some locks online ... but how good is the glue? Wouldn't difficult child just chisel it off?
This seems to be the main brand that is carried by Home Depot, Sears, etc. across the country:
http://www.marinelock.com/Refrigerator-Locks_c_1.html

DammitJanet

Terry, Im not thinking it would be that easy to chisel off. Also if he did attempt to get it off, I would say that would be a major offense. He does have the ability to NOT do it so if he actually attempts to break the fridge I would come down heavy on him. Its not like he doesnt know these are going on there and why.

We had to put locks on my fridge when my mom was here because she had alzheimers. We had locks everywhere actually..cabinets, doors,etc. I couldnt blame her for trying to get through them because she didnt understand why they were there. Your son does understand.

I think those locks would work well since they work in institutions.

TerryJ2

Insane, lol~ there is only one there are only two doors that lead to the kitchen that can be locked. The rest of the area consists of hallways that have no doors.

I will discuss it with-husband. I'm thinking we should buy the lock and put it on the smaller fridge, so that if difficult child does wreck it, we're out less money, and it won't be such an eyesore in the middle of the kitchen. I will have to train easy child and husband to store their wheat and milk products in the other fridge. THAT's not going to be easy. But nobody said life was easy.

InsaneCdn

I will have to train easy child and husband to store their wheat and milk products in the other fridge. THAT's not going to be easy. But nobody said life was easy.
Easier than you might think.
"The rule is that any wheat or milk products found in the main fridge will immediately be disposed of, for the safety of difficult child."

TerryJ2

Okay, I ordered the lock online.
A rep emailed me and said the adhesive pads withstand 500 lbs. of force. :)

witzend

The padlocks I've seen on freezers and fridges were always screwed in with self-tapping sheet metal screws, and held fast with construction adhesive. If I were going to lock a fridge, I wouldn't buy anything special, I would go to Lowes and get it all for $10.

Tiapet

Old Hand
We have had no luck with locks that were screwed in and definitely NOT with glued in types (super easy to pull off). They would find things to unscrew the other kind. We have had to resort to chain and a padlock type lock. You wind the chain around the door handles of the doors. We've have done it to tranditional style (top freezer bottom frig) and french door (the best and easier one). You can cut the chain links which we bought from lowes/home depot that are plastic covered so it won't scratch the frig. The key to it is to make sure the chain is tight enough that is is pretty hard to close each end together.

Just recently with mr busy breaking into doors to garage and bedrooms that have locks by prying them open he got into garage and found bolt cutters and cut chain on frig. Easy fix as we had more chain! ;) As to the doors he broke into, a little more complicated. We had to go out and buy non pryable door stripping and stuff that you can buy to make sure your house is not able to break into (meant for entryway doors but can be used for interior doors too with a little know how). We've had to be REALLY creative with all this breaking into things and locks!

We have a double doored upright closet in the kitchen that we have to store food in (and about to buy another one as well) and we have hasps and locks on that too because the food stealing issue is so bad. To many it sounds horrible to have to lock up most all the food in your house but they would not understand that if you don't you could loose a weeks worth of food in almost 24 hours if you didn't and it's not because you don't feed them, it's because they can't stop eating (well in ms queens sake and mr busy it's a food allergy causing him to want things he can't have).

TerryJ2

Oh, Tiapet, that's awful! I cannot imagine living with constant hunger like that. And it's awful for you to have to lock and guard your food.

At least ours is just "bad" foods he's allergic to.

We'll see how long it takes him to remove the glue. (anyone taking bets?)