BusynMember

Hi, MyHrt. Hey, if Dad commited suicide, diagnosed or not, that's a red flag for something such as bipolar disorder at least in him. You don't do that unless you are mentally ill. A diagnosis. of both ADHD and Anxiety would get me thinking of something on the autism spectrum, maybe Aspergers and psychiatrists are terrible at diagnosing that. They don't know much about it. Our son is on the spectrum and was misdiagnosed with mental illness and put on lots of medications that didn't work, except to dull him. Now some kids NEED medications, but my son is better without them.
Has this child ever been evaluated by a neuropsychologist? How was his early development? Did he talk on time? Did he make good eye contact and cuddle? Does he know how to relate to his same age peers or does he seem socially clueless? How is his coordination, especially fine motor? Does he have any obsessive interests or any quirky behaviors, such as arm flapping or clicking his tongue or making high pitched noises?
He could have many disorders. I would personally run from any professional who said "Conduct Disorder" in such a young child. I would want him to get a fresh evaluation from a fresh professional. Our neuropsychologist tested my son for ten hours and finally got it right and it turned out that medications didn't help him because he didn't have a "medication" type problem. He was on the high functioning autism spectrum. He has been doing great with interventions and NO medications. He's 15 and 90% better than when he was nine. I suggest a new evaluation and a look at the approach your current prof. is using because it's not helping him. I know, it's tiring to keep looking for the answer because I got really worn out. But it was worth it. I feel NeuroPsychs do the best evaluations of any/all professionals. Ours tested my son for ten hours and refused to be biased toward any diagnosis. And after he sat with us, well, things really improved. My son still remembers him and is very grateful. My son is now 15. My own personal bias is a neuropsychologist over a phospital. I've been in phospitals myself (I have bipolar) and I think NeuroPsychs test better. Of course, if there is a safety concern, you have no choice...good luck!

Last edited: