Advocate just called

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The second advocate just called.

She at least has a plan. No idea if it will accomplish anything, but its a plan. She has picked apart Wee's IEP and plans to get them to change it to an Learning Disability (LD) instead of ED IEP. Has pointed out several reasons why their own evaluation doesn't support and ED diagnosis.

She is shooting for a single trained para, self-contained instruction, with time spent in the mainstream room for socialization (which I didn't know is one of the 7 areas the public school is responsible for), and has a good argument for all of it.

She is also beating the spectrum horse again. I don't even want to go back there, but we'll do it. Our county case manager put in the paperwork to get another evaluation done. We're not going to tell them about any previous evaluations. We'll see.

JJJ

At least it is a plan and it sounds like a good one. I like the idea of a "fresh" evaluation.

TerryJ2

Sounds good.
You don't like beating the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) horse because ... ? I can't remember.
Interesting that you can evaluation for Learning Disability (LD) instead of ED IEP. I wouldn't know the difference.
I will check on the Ed board and figure it out.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Her theory is if the school focuses more on the known Learning Disability (LD) issues, that the behavior issues will not be as prominent, and I think I agree with that theory. She said they aren't supposed to write an ED IEP for a kid unless there is no reasonable possibility that there is an Learning Disability (LD) that accounts for any of the behaviors. Which was not at all the case. We didn't know he was dyslexic, but we bantered back and forth for an hour on ED or Learning Disability (LD). ED shouldn't have even been considered. According to this lady.

The Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) horse...he's been evaled "by the pros" 3 times now. But this lady agrees there are tons of red flags for an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kiddo, so she wants another evaluation by another place, so we'll do it. Again. But it doesn't make me excited. lol He has an Asperger's diagnosis, I wish she'd just use it and go with it.

We will get together mid-july and get our ducks in a row and meet with school before it starts again in August.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Advocate has some sound reasoning in her plan. I see no reason, however, to have Learning Disability (LD) as the first reason for IEP, then ED. Of course I'm no longer as well versed in IEPs as I once was.

Keeping a good thought for young Wee's education plan.

DDD

I'm delighted that you have an Advocate who is "into advocating". Fingers crossed. DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
It sounds like she is doing a great job! The plan sounds good, and I can see the reason for the Learning Disability (LD) vs ED IEP. I think it is mostly about how the school perceives Wee and his problems. If it is an ED IEP then the school wants to just ignore his very real LDs. If it is an Learning Disability (LD) IEP they cannot do that as easily and they will have to provide more services. So much in this world is all about perception.

She may want a new evaluation because some schools are arguing that Asperger's is not autism and they are not wanting to give it as many services. It baffles me because it so clearly IS a form of autism, but I have had educators tell me this **** and I have heard some of them talking around the table at the bar on Friday about it. The whole game of educating children seems to be about how to do as little as possible for any child with problems. I know that most teachers are not like this, but many of the educators do pay more attention to how much things cost and how big a hassle they are for the adults than they pay to the very real problems of the child.

I hope the evaluation stressed the autism diagnosis's and that the school figures out that it is going to cost them a LOT less time, energy and almighty dollars to give Wee services than to continue to fight you over them. If it goes on much longer we need to round up the Warrior Mom Posse and whup some sense into them!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
If we don't get some real changes coming down the pipe VERY soon, I will likely try moving him to another district. Either north where the alternative school is, or south where the district is that the EIP director says works well with kids like Wee and/or take legal action. We will maintain our home here, regardless. If we have to move him to another district, I will probably rent a room there, so legally we'd still have the "home" district to work to come bacck to, either voluntarily, or not...