Advocates how do I find a free one?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by tryinghard, Apr 24, 2008.

  1. tryinghard

    tryinghard New Member

    How do you find free advocates in your area? Thanks
  2. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    It can be difficult sometimes.

    You might get some leads from . If you call some of the listings and it's not what you are looking for, ask if they can refer you.
  3. lambsear2

    lambsear2 New Member

    Look under "Child Advocate" Some advocates only handle physical/mental disabled, vs kids with behavioral issues. You can also check with your child psycologist for a recommendation.

    As a note- the ones in my area (NY Metro) charge on a sliding scale based upon your household income.
  4. amazeofgrace

    amazeofgrace New Member

    I was told when I tried to get an advocate through my county that they only advocate for kids who were not being advocated for, and that "I" was advocating already for my child, that was frustrating. Then I found out about the Family Support Orginization, each County in NJ has one, it is an NP orginazation composed of parents of special needs kids who have "been there, done that". You should see if there'a similar orginization in your area.