After 4 Weeks of Celexa

M

ML

The good news is that I don't see any bad side effects. At first he was slightly activated and more hyper but that's abated back to a "normal" level for him. I think that the anxiety is slightly better but I'm not sure. Do you all think that giving it 2 more weeks will make a difference or is what I'm seeing now what I will get? One thing that I have noticed is that his eating for olympic sport is slightly better. I believe he was eating out of anxiety so I guess that would make sense so maybe it *is* working. If I like what I see in the next few weeks the next step is to try a stimulant to help with the ADHD symptoms. And that may not work if his issues stem more from AS. But I have to give it a try. Wish me luck. I just wanted to share our 1 month experience. MicheleL

K

Kjs

Hi Michele. Havent heard from you in a while. Glad things are looking up.

M

ML

Hi Kjs, thanks for responding. I would say things are slightly up but slightly up from where we are at is still a long ways to go to "normal", ya know?

Just today my mom was talking about how I should force him to go into sports again. I know, it's the "normal" thing for your kid to be in soccer or some kind of sports activity but my kid just looks miserable out there all frozen up like a deer in headlights when the ball comes at him. Plus, he can't track! It's hard forcing him into anything organized like that. He loves cooking and art but I bet if it were some kind of organized social thing he'd lose his passion for it.

Anyway, I appreciated seeing a response to my post this morning. I guess not many can relate to where I am at right now. It's still nice being part of this group.

TC

xo

MicheleL

busywend

Michele, I was on all day today and this is the first time I saw your post. Not sure why I missed it, but I would swear it just was not there earlier. Strange, huh?

Anyway, I would think it can not hurt to go 2 more weeks with the Celexa.
I know what you mean about the sports thing. difficult child did play basketball a couple years ago and it was painful to watch the anxiety levels in her.

Sara PA

No one should ever force her child to do sports. It's suppose to be a fun thing. It's suppose to be something a child gets pleasure from doing. It should never be something the child is forced to do so that he fits someone's idea of "normal".

Not only is it not fair to the child, it isn't fair to the coaches or other team members.

BusynMember

Celexa and all AD's take six weeks or longer to fully kick in. Four weeks isn't enough. My AD, which changed my life, did nothing for me until I hit week six and suddenly...bang! As for sports, we do make Lucas take soccer (which he is good at) and he will be joining Cross County and the Ski Team for the Special Olympics. He needs exercise. But if a child can't do a team sport well, it sets him up for ridicule. If you want him to get exercise without the pressure, I suggest swimming. It's great! I have five kids, and even the "normal" ones were not interested in team sports. Not all kids do them, nor in my opinion should they.

busywend

Sara, I agree. However, my difficult child hates to do anything until it comes time to actually do it. For example, she complained about soccer practices and games every single time - but she had a blast doing it once we were there. She can not seem to recall the good times. She told be she did not want to play soccer when registration time came. I signed her up anyway figuring if she still did not want to play I would not make her. When it came time for soccer to start she asked if I signed her up and I told her no as she had told me she was not interested. She was furious. I can not win! LOL!

So, it depends on the kid with this one. Forcing my child did work for some time. When she got older the complaining got more stressful and I could not do it anymore.

M

ML

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the encouragement. Sara, I agree with you. It's not fair to the other kids or the coach to have someone there who doesn't want to be there. It would be different if he was simply not good at it but loved it.

Busywend I totally get what you are saying about forcing some issues. Sometimes they need a slight push or they'll hold down the couch for weeks on end lol. You're a good mom, you sensed that it was a push she wanted. I pushed that way for mine too and eventually realized it wasn't the right thing. My mom has to come to that place at some point. She's not as involved in his life and doesn't understand some of his limitations. I just told her that we have to love and accept him for how he is and she agreed. So it's all good. Just sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm doing the right stuff. That's why I love coming here.

MicheleL

K

Kjs

Some kids are just not sports kids. Nothing wrong with that. Some are artistic and that is wonderful. difficult child couldn't draw a STICK person if he tried! He can't remember to bring a book or his work to class, but ask him who is next in the line-up to bat for any given team and he can tell you.

It is OK to not play sports. That's what makes the world go around. The different personalities. I wouldn't force him to do things he doesn't like. You've tried it. All you can do.

Does he like individual things? Like Karate? Swimming? Sometimes it is the "team" thing and not feeling a part of it that scares kids.

I just think if you had to force him to do anything it would just add more pressure and anxiety on him. He would feel bad not being what mom wanted. I would be proud of him for the things he likes. And being good in school...oh, be proud.