After $7.55 PER PILL antibiotic, I STILL have a sinus infection.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
NOW I'm gettin' worried.

Part of what worries me is that other than being tired, I don't feel anything but "normal". Again, I have resigned myself to accepting THIS???

Wow.

I went to doctor again today for yet another follow-up. She's trying to kick the infection before surgery. Not only is it not gone, its worse. I now have ear infections to go with the sinus infection. And that's after 10 days on Avelox, or something to that affect, which cost me $7.55 PER PILL.

Ugh.

She put me on yet another antibiotic. I'm to stay on it til surgery, and, of course, call in ASAP if I feel worse. WORSE? What's "worse"? Considering I don't technically feel bad now...just feel the same as I have for going on 4 or 5 months now...Guess I've gotten used to it.

I have gained 15 pounds this winter when I usually don't worry about weight. I am usually the queen of hyper, yet I have napped after work more times this winter than I have in the history of my life. I force myself out of bed in the mornings. I was beginning to think depression, but if I don't go to work, I spend my day looking forward to something, so I don't think that's it...after today, I think I'm chronically infected and worn to the bone.

This is antibiotic round 5 for this particular infection. Potentially round 7-9 (I've lost count how many I've been on in the past 5 months).

Hurry up, April 14.

PS. Here's a kicker. Four years ago I was severely allergic to a few things. If I got near them, it was instant mucas-festival. One year ago I was retested and was allergic to 85% of what I was tested for. Over 60 things, plus food allergies. I haven't had an allergy attack since before December. I live in the same house, same pets, same lifestyle, same everything. I even dusted my house and moved furniture last weekend and never so much as sneezed - something a year ago that would have nearly killed me. Wonder what's up with that...?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh Shari,
Yuck-I will pray that the 14th comes soon and that you are feeling better sooner. Hugs.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Not sure if it would affect your immune system but I have a thought. The weight gain and tiredness makes me wonder ......have you had your thyroid tested lately? Those are two big signs of an underactive thyroid.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Mustang, yes, I've thought of that.

I also ran across a suggestion that you take your temp every morning before you get out of bed, and if your axillary temp is below, like, 97.6, I think, that suggests you have an underactive thyroid. I did it for 10 days and never even had a temp of 97. It was usually 96.4 or 96.6. But I hate to go attempting to fix too many problems at once. I mentioned it to doctor today, tho, that once this surgery is over, I want to address those problems if they're still an issue.

I don't know, tho, now the wheels are spinning. My inital thought was an underactive thyroid wouldn't be holding up getting rid of these infections...but if its dragging my body down, maybe it would drag my immune system down with it? I dunno. I'd hate to have this surgery for no reason.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm telling you, the nose inhale/blow in the shower is gross, but it does wonders. It takes a bit to get use to it. I was probably a 15 year sinus infection person...nearly constantly. I was constantly on antibiotics.

When the surgeon told me he was going in through the roof of my nose and the upper palatte of my mouth for surgery...I gave it a try. Twenty some years later I have not had ONE sinus infection.

Your body gets immune to antibiotics. My doctor said I needed to flush, and flush is what I did. Not had a problem since.

I feel for you because there is nothing worse than having the sinus thing going on.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey is right. It sounds as if your immune to the antibiotics. Which is not good. I think I'd try the flushing. (hurts me to even think about it) It can't hurt and it just might work.

I was gonna ask about the allergies, but I guess that's not it.

However, how about a bad tooth??

I had a friend years back, kept getting what she called God Awful Head Colds. Over and over again. She was miserable that winter. doctor tried all sorts of anitbiotics, didn't seem to help. Finally he asked her when the last time she'd been to see the dentist?

Turned out she'd had an absessed tooth. Didn't cause her pain, made her sick instead.

Hugs

babybear

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. It's so draining be constantly fighting off an infection. Something I found that works for me is low doses of vitamin c every 2 hours. It works better than higher doses all at once because your body will use and flush it quickly. I use Orange Juice Jr, a children's chewable , with 100 mg vit. C

Also, Janet has a very good point about candida. That would actually get worse with antibiotics. Maybe your doctor cant test for that??

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay I don't EVEN want to know what kind of acrobats you have to do to get a yeast infection in your nose.....

But I'm with Baby bear - when I'm feeling icky - I take 3 vitamin C every 2 hours - you can't take too much and it does help.

Sorry -

Hugs

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I do the rinse with an OTC rinse solution. It helps a lot in an allergy attack but thus far has not decreased the sinus infections.

I'll try the candida and acidopholous, tho, I haven't been using those. doctor yesterday said sinuses just don't have adequate drainage (which I already knew) and it has no where else to go. Part of surgery will be to drain the ethmoid (?) sinuses and enlarge the space for them to drain, I guess. I'm sure there's no place to drain because when I do the rinse, I can get very little water to come out anywhere but the nostril I put it into. I can get some right now while I'm not overly stuffed up, but even not its not much. When I'm stuffed up, I often can't get anything to go anywhere else.

But I'll try the candida and vitamin c in addition to my flintstones. Can't hurt.

M

ML

Someone mentioned silver sinus spray the last time this came up. My difficult child has constant sinus infections/allergies. The silver is supposed to address both the mold/yeast and bacteria. It was cheap enough so I just bought some. I will let everyone know how we do.

M

ML

One more thing. Apple Cidar Vinegar is supposed to help too. Tastes yucky though.

janebrain

Oh, just wanted to send some sympathy. I have only had a couple of sinus infections in my life and I have never been so tired. Both my difficult children get them a lot and I always feel so sorry for them. It is so hard to function when you are so run down. I hope the surgery does the trick for you. I just cannot imagine going through what you are going through!
Jane