after being on this board awhile...do you find

DammitJanet

that you cannot help but use the term difficult child to describe difficult child's?

I have the hardest time explaining difficult child's or difficult child behavior to anyone without using that term. It is now simply part of my vernacular. I use it in every day speech. I cant think of any other term to exactly explain what I want to say in any other better terms...lol. It just says it all so clearly.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hahaah - Yes Janet! I refer to so many people in and out of my family as a difficult child now, from my own difficult child to my nephew, my sister, my mother, friends' kids, soooo many people. My nephew will even refer to people we meet as a difficult child. He may turn to me as I'm trying to describe someone and say, "A difficult child?" and I will say, "Yes! That's it!!" Hahaha.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl: :rofl:

OMG Janet, Jo, you guys too?? I've been doing this for years. So much so that my kids do it too, and so does husband. Heck, even my best friend has started using it.

I had to stop and make myself think first in IEP meetings in order NOT to use difficult child. :rofl:

meowbunny

Doubt I'll ever have that problem since I refuse to use the term. I don't mind easy child, but the other term just sticks in my craw for several reasons, none of which I will go into since they are bound to create a lot of unnecessary controversy. (And, no, I don't go off the wall when others use the term. This is my choice and my beliefs and there is no reason others have to follow do what I do. Don't believe that!)

Well MB, you might wanna check your profile signature there - just kidding!

I am starting to get the habit as well, in thought but not in speech (yet).

So if I'm in the mall or something and overhear someone talking about a "difficult child", I'll know it's a CD board member!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HereWeGoAgain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I'm in the mall or something and overhear someone talking about a "difficult child", I'll know it's a CD board member! </div></div>

Apparently, people outside of this board use the term. I heard "difficult child" in a conversation between two woman at my daughter's school a couple of years ago. I asked if they were familiar with the CD board and they looked at me like I had four heads.

Acronym Finder: "difficult child"

difficult child George Foreman Grill
difficult child Gone for Good
difficult child Gift from God
difficult child Governor's Foot Guard
difficult child Governance for Growth (AusAID program)
difficult child Good Freakin' Game (polite form)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HereWeGoAgain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Acronym Finder: "difficult child"

difficult child George Foreman Grill
difficult child Gone for Good
difficult child Gift from God
difficult child Governor's Foot Guard
difficult child Governance for Growth (AusAID program)
difficult child Good Freakin' Game (polite form)
</div></div>

:rofl:
Those are funny!

Don't get me started, HWGA.

Gilligan's filthy garter
Gilbert's fifth grape
goody flippin gumdrops
Greek fraternity goofballs
Grasping Frank's gallstones
gosh freegin golly

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
OK I think in these terms. I will be doing something and go geez husband why won't you do this. But before I say it I refer to him as his name. He and I have however talked in difficult child terms before. Like when something big happens...he will throw out gotta love our difficult child or something. It is funny how it just comes out.

Beth

DammitJanet

I even got my therapist to start using the term difficult child and she has told me she has to watch that she doesnt document charts that way now...lol.

F

flutterbee

I do it in thought, but so far have managed to stop myself from using it in speech. Probably cause I mostly think of difficult child as a PITA when she's acting like a difficult child. In fact, until we had a diagnosis, I called it the PITA syndrome. :rofl: psychiatrist and therapist, however, come out that way. It totally confuses people.

Most days, easy child is a easy child. But, the times I've vented here about him, it really stuck in my craw (to use MB's words) to use that term. PITA was much more appropriate.

TerryJ2

Yes, but when I explain it, I usually get a comment like, "Seems like you should call them Gifts from the Devil!"

:scared:

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Yep sure do Janet! easy child does, too, and in fact when we got the news last week that difficult child is still truly a difficult child, easy child said, "Stupid difficult child! I know I'm the easy child, but gosh, he doesn't have to make it that obvious!"

I really like the difficult child term, cuz before i got here? You don't wanna know what SK stands for!! That's how I referred to him. As my (bad word for) poopy kid. So, difficult child is much nicer.

I even refer to DEX as DEX now, and that's nicer, too! Altho, I could change that first initial to anything from C to L, I suppose!!

Peace

I can tell I've been here almost a year. I haven't said difficult child out loud anywhere yet, but I always think of my boys as difficult children and my daughter as a easy child. Like Lisa, I had to stop and think before referring to difficult child 2 as a difficult child at the last Team Meeting I went to. WFEN

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm one who thinks it but stops short of saying it. I know one day I will and someone will be thinking, "What?".