Agghhh....so irritated with medical aid!!!!!

lovelyboy

Ok....so our medical aid doesnt have Autism listed as a chronic illness on their list!!!!! Didnt even now how to spell it!!!! So they dont cover chronic medications!!!!!
I am really going to try and do something about this!!!!! Going to phone them just now.....we dont have any free medical help in RSA....just state goverment stuff....but then you sit on the floor for 5 hours in a que beteen sometimes prisoners waiting to see a doctor.....!!!! So for any private serveces....we pay!!!!!!

InsaneCdn

lovelyboy... we may be half a world apart, but so far I haven't run into anyone on this board who isn't frustrated with their medical system - at least at some points and in some ways. Haven't found anything better than what I have... as in, not worth moving for... but sometimes? I'd love to be able to just walk down the street, find a provider, and pay for it. (here, we can't - its ALL public). As far as what gets covered, well... ya. Either they don't cover at all, or they cover only to a certain age, or only certain (i.e. generic) medications...

You'll probably have to move mountains and change the world... but it has been done before.
Autism was totally unknown here about 20 years ago. Now... schools and medical system have some idea of what it takes to deal with these kids.
And its all because some parents of autistic kids... were prepared to fight.

buddy

Check under Pervasive Developmental Disorder (Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)) since that is the general medical category that autism, Rett's, disintegrative, asperger's and finally Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified are all under.....(in the DSM that is, if they use a similar or the same)

lovelyboy

Buddy.....the psychiatrist did change the code to Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified......not covered! I think the only way we might get around this one is if she change diagnosis to depression....But I think any one with good thinking skills might realize that it will be highly unrealistic to change from Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) to depression only! LOL

DammitJanet

If what your doctor has to do to get their services paid is use an insurance code such as depression because that is accepted, that is what they will do. It has been done in this country for ages. What they do is treat symptoms anyway and give whatever help is needed based on that not some code on a paper.