Ah, like Old Times!

Alisonlg

Just took 2 weeks. :hammer:

I've dialled "9, 1...." but couldn't convince myself to dial the last 1 yet. The day is young, however. I *really* don't want to go for psychiatric hospital admit #3.

I told him he was starting the Day Program tomorrow afternoon in the nicest, calmest, yet most happy, enthusiastic way I could and he LOST IT! He went into TOTAL RAGE and started kicking the wall, throwing things across the room, he smashed one of C's die cast metal cars (the roof the car is now smashed in), he broke one of the rungs on the staircase, he smashed his glass gumball machine lava-lamp-type-thing, he broke part of his desk chair, and he completely emptied out his toy box all over the floor. I had to tell C to lock himself in his bedroom to stay safe during the whole escapade, which is partly why I started dialing the phone.

He calmed for a while, but now that C is sleeping (and safe), I told M he couldn't have a friend visit right now and he's in the process of dismantling my sectional in the livingroom....I heard a snap...I fear he may have broken my $2,000+ leather couch. :frown: Ah, the collatoral damage of having a difficult child.

Ok...rage escallating....gotta go! God grant me the serenity...or at least the strength to be able to restrain him myself!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Deep breathes!!! Oh so sorry... sending lots of strength your way to make it through this!!! Were do they get the strength and energy!!! Little Hulks!

Hang in there..

Alisonlg

I have a feeling the Extended Day Program is going to be a no-go. :frown: Where does that leave us? If he refuses to go altogether...the van comes and he won't go...then we are back to square one...no psychiatrist, no support system, no nothing. :frown:

Looks like I better call that ONE psychiatrist in my town that is on our new insurance plan effective June 1st and make an appointment. M's medications are going to run out in 2 wks and who's going to refill them? OMG...if he goes off his medications...

Totally making an appointment for myself too. :frown:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
How is your pediatrician? I ask this because just yesterday I had to have the pharmacy call her because of course our lame psychiatrist!!! did not return our call for 2 days, no-one from the office's prescriptionline called back!!! So my pediatrician filled our Abilify for us. difficult child would have run out that night!!! Our pediatrician understands the situation and while she doesn't "love" doing it she will if the situation requires it.
Just a thought...

Alisonlg

Ah...good thought, totoro. We see a big practice for the pediatrician, so we never seem to really see the same person twice...but I bet if I really BEG them to do it just this ONCE and explain that if they don't, my son will land in the ER and then in the psychiatric hospital if they don't, then maybe they'll process the refill if I explain I'm just waiting on an appointment.

I'm going to make phone calls tomorrow and arrange an appointment ASAP with a psychiatrist...even on the VERY OFF CHANCE M gets on the van to go to the program tomorrow. I'm also going to call around and make an appointment for myself. If for nothing else but to pay someone to listen to me complain about the shatters that are my life at the moment! LOL

branbran

You poor thing. You have just described a regular day in my household when my difficult child is home. (she is in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC)) I know all too well what you are going through. It is absolutely exhausting. I too have a younger child (easy child) who, sad to say, knows when his sister goes into a rage just to go in his room and shut the door. Or, he'll hold onto my leg, kiss it over and over and tell me he loves me. Breaks my heart. For him and her. I dont want him to resent or fear her. So far so good. He misses her, talks about her left and right. Loves to go visit her.

I wish i would have kept a running tally of all that my difficult child has cost me over the years. Just out of curiosity!!! I probably could be living in the lap of luxury by now.

Hang in there - maybe he'll get tired soon.

DammitJanet

Do you have a county mental health near you? If so, they most often take all insurance plans. Call them.

If he is this out of control so soon after getting out of the hospital then he wasnt stabilized. He came home on strattera and seroquel only? Obviously they arent working. Can you call the hospital that he was at and tell them that he is regressing big time?

Did they give you any sort of discharge plan?

Alisonlg

Janet-

This WAS our dischage plan! Give him his seroquel & strattera and send him to the Extended Day Program. That's it. Up until yesterday when he was triggered by knowing he was starting the Day Program today, his meltdowns/rages have been much more contained, shorter, and redirectable. This was the most intense I've seen since our second discharge and it was directly related to the "Program." In fact, when we had our in-take meeting at the program, I feared he would meltdown big time there, but instead, he "shutdown" intead and just clenched up and didn't speak or move. I guess yesterday was much more final and real to him.

I don't know...maybe he's better OFF seeing a psychiatrist one-on-one instead of the whole program atmosphere right now...apparently it feels way to overwhelming to him. Besides, his new school is going to be a "program" atmosphere anyway/too. At least I think I'll feel more comfortable when I have a psychiatrist to call and bounce these kinds of things off rather than having all of the big decisions weigh on my shoulders alone. :::sigh::: Plus, I'd like some sort of diagnosis at some point too.

Alisonlg

It's starting up again....oh boy...about 4 hours before the van is supposed to get here. Let's see how long it takes to escallate and how bad it gets.

I'm going to hop in the shower so I'm not in the room to give him an audience.