Airlines to start weighing passengers?

skeeter

I was on a puddle jumper from State College to Pittsburg, with the soft ball team, after a game, and they didn't have a chance to shower!!!

I heard one comedian - I forget who - talk about taking a prop plane somewhere in the islands. He said they were asking people how much they weighed, and when they got to him he asked why. He was told so they knew how much fuel to load. He's a little guy and told them he weighed 500 lbs. When they asked why he said that, he said he was making up for all the other passengers that were going to lie!

Marguerite

You can't always tell by looking at someone. I have always weighed a lot more than I look. I was never skinny, but certainly not fat - just right - and yet other girls who weighed the same as me had rolls of fat and wore clothes several sizes larger than mine. I regularly win any "Guess Your Weight" competition.

The baggage gets weight. What's wrong with passengers on embarking standing on scales at the check-in? There's no reason for the weight to be displayed for all to see.

it's not needed a time of booking and Witz is right - we're increasingly using the Internet to book tickets, so it wouldn't really be feasible to implement it as part of the ticket price.
But they do need to know at time of the flight, so they know how much fuel to load and how to distribute the luggage.

All this discussion has reminded me of something from Douglas Adam's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (the book, and the radio & TV series) - there was a very popular planet tourist destination that became so concerned at the erosion caused by so many tourists, that any net increase in your weight on departure from what you weighed on arrival was surgically removed from your body before you left. He added that this means that it was vitally important to make sure that when you went to the bathroom there, you got a receipt.

Maybe it's an indication of how ridiculous it could get?

Marg