Alcohol question

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have a great pumpkin pie receipe that is supposed to be made with Apple Jack which I am assuming is whiskey. Never have used the wiskey part of it, but have decided I want to try it.

I just found the Wiskey on line but jeeze at 24.00 a bottle...How long can you keep opened an bottle of wiskey (making about 4 pies a year with two tablespoons each pie of this stuff) ???? LOL

Obviously this question would be redundant if I was planning to keep the open bottle at home - it would last as long as it would take for difficult child to find it -

Marcie

trinityroyal

As far as I know, whiskey doesn't spoil, so you can keep it for years. My grandmother used to use brandy in her Christmas cake, and that bottle sat in our pantry for at least a decade that I can remember, and it never came to any harm.

Sounds delicious,
Trinity

AllStressedOut

Funny you should ask this. I was wondering the same thing.

I keep flavoured liquors for years and have no idea if they go bad. I use them in recipes and they seem fine. I think I'll google it and see if I can find something out.

Sunlight

hey send it to ant and he will drink it up so it doesnt go to waste...then again that would be in two years when he gets out.

ok sarcastic this morning aren't I?
seriously I think people keep whiskey for years and it gets better as it ages I have heard. not my drink for sure! Firewater.

AllStressedOut

The short of what I found is that bacteria doesn't grow in alcohol, so plain "spirits" should last for years. If it has cream in it, a few months refrigerated, like Bailey's Irish Cream or along those lines. The only thing I saw about change in the alcohol is due to oxidation, it may lose some flavor over time and that alcohol evaporates.

Here are a few links.

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/389572

http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/storage.htm

saving grace

MM, I will ask my husband. He is in the business and should have an answer or even a cheaper alternative to the Apple Jack. I left him a voicemail just waiting to hear back.

Grace

Lothlorien

Laird's Apple Jack, made right here in NJ. It is a huge apple farming area.

You should be able to find a smaller bottle. Ask your liquor store. It's very common to find it around here, since it's made right here. I've never bought it. I have a strong aversion to whiskey.

Whiskey should last you a long time. There is no sugar and the alcohol kills the bacteria.

This is the company website. There are recipes on there. You can find a distributor, too.

http://www.lairdandcompany.com/index2.htm

You can put any alcohol (not beer or wine) in the freezer, because it does not freeze. It keeps it mighty cold, though. My brother keeps all his alcohol in his freezer.

saving grace

husband called back. The smallest bottle is 200ml which is the equivalent to 4 nips or a 1/2 pint. He said he sells only the .750 ml for $16.00 he thinks you might be looking at the 1.75L for 24.00 which is the largest bottle.
He did say that he never sells it, its not very popular around here thats why he only carries one size. He does not know of any other whisky that is comparable to it. He did say if that is the only bottle you can find it will last a long time without spoiling. Its considered a whiskey "blend"

Try to call the company and see if you can find out where the 1/2 pint is sold maybe it can be shipped to you.

I even asked him if we could ship it to you but He said in Ma. its against the law to ship alcohol out of or into Ma. unless your a distributer. And what I was not aware of is that those wine of the month clubs or beer of the month.... if you live in Ma you can not participate in those clubs because you can not have the product shipped to you, or you can not receive a wine and cheese basket or any of those type things. Isnt that interesting?

Grace

TerryJ2

I agree.

At Christmas, I'll go to the liquor store with-a recipe list and the clerks always laugh. They say they can always tell when Christmas is coming because "the nice ladies in the neighborhood show up with-lists of liquor they've never heard of and will never use again," LOL!
It must be a nice change from some of the creepy crawlies who frequent that place.

We've got 8,000-yr-old liquor in our cabinets. Okay, maybe 5-yr-old. But I never know if it's any good until I go to use it the next time.

Good luck. Sounds like an interesting pie!

DDD

Recently there have been multiple articles about frozen gelatin
mixed drinks in the newspaper. I don't do mixed drinks...just
stick to my Cutty Sark, lol...but I think it is wild to think
that you can freeze a martini square, or a manhattan with a cherry inside, etc. to have on hand for company.

Yikes, when we were young I am glad it was necessary to pour and
sip. We would have been blasted all the time if it was easier
to grab than an ice cream bar!!!! DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
I abso LOVE whiskey. Only kind of alcohol I like, and since I am on pain medications I don't drink. I love it, but have no problems staying away from it, thank heavens.

I know that a number of my friend's parents used to make apple jack when I was a kid. Not sure why.

As for going bad. Nope. Shouldn't. I worked in TX for a man who used to be LBJ's press secretary. We had a back room filled with CASES of booze that were left when LBJ died. His wife didn't want them. I heard a few years later that the cases auctioned off for enormous prices. It was never anything I wanted to take, just because it wasn't mine. Guess I would never cut it as a difficult child, huh?

If you can't find a smaller size, simmer apple cider until it is concentrated and try that. Or try using the frozen concentrated apple cider or juice. I have an aunt who uses that instead of applejack in some recipes of her moms.

Susie

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Loth, it was Laird's Applejack I found - I have been all over the place including Trader Jo's and cannot find it anywhere, so will order a bottle.

I am not a big drinker but DDD, I didn't know you could freeze drinks like Martini's - I wish I had not read that -I just had my first one ( a fruited one)a couple of months ago and have decided they are the best things since sliced bread LOL

I am going to order it - I will have to just make more pies and check the Laird's website for other things I can make :smile:

Beth - I will gladly share the receipe and put it on a separate post..

Marcie

susiestar

Roll With It
Could you ifnd it on ebay for a better price or in a smaller size? OK has the same or similar laws as MA, but I still like to watch the auctions!

Susie

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Applejack is America's version of a liqueur called "calvados". It's a strong brandy made of apples instead of grapes.

Try websearching under "Calvados" instead. You should be able to find some other brands. Calvados, like cognac, is rated under the "V" system with VS being the lowest grade and VSOP being the highest.

For kitchen use, VS would be just fine.

I should also think that you could use cheap cognac (Hennessy) and some applejuice concentrate as a substitute though it would make the pie sweeter.

Also, whisky once opened does not "keep" forever. It oxidizes which impacts the flavor and the alcohol evaporates out.