all you medical people, ponder this....

everywoman

PCdaughter is having a procedure done next week and the doctor needed her blood type. He asked me to check her medical records. I called her peditrician, nothing in the file. I called the ortho--nothing. Finally I called the hospital---No blood typing done for the last two surgeries---so, I asked the file woman (who was a doll by the way) to pull up her birth records---sure enough, there it was.
I am type 0+.
(I am pretty sure husband is 0+.)
PCdaughter is A-?????
What???? Now my grandmother and father were both A-. husband's mother was A-. But....
I swear to you all husband is the "babydaddy"! I hope he won't expect a paternity test after 18 years!

chriss

dammitjane, i notice when i log on u are usually on. i am trying to connect with other parents. question, read in your profile billy aspie kid, i think mine is too, what gives u the indication, chriss

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I think its interesting that they don't type blood at birth anymore. I am surprised that she wouldn't have had typing done with two surgeries.....I would imagine your husband is not O, but don't ask him (let sleeping dogs lie), just have them double check her type.....they may be giving universal donor blood (O- I think), but thought they would try to match or better yet get her to donate her own blood ahead of time.....too late now probably. Could be a wierd recessive gene with so many grandparents with A- (at least that's the story I would stick with.)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'd just have the doctor order the test for blood typing. I'm also surprised she wasn't typed for the past two surgeries. The test itself is really easy. We did it in my college Biology class.

Now, no need to mention to husband. But odds are he has his blood type wrong. You'd be stunned at how many people do.

Mine is A+. I've known it and kept it written on a card in my wallet since easy child was born. Both my girls are also A+. They were typed during labor. Don't know what Travis is but could find out from the oncology doctor. (I think he was also A+)
husband is supposedly O +. This info I take with a grain of salt. lol The military proabably typed his blood way back when, but that doesn't mean husband would necessarily recall that info accurately after about 30 yrs.

witzend

Whenever I have had surgery, they always draw blood the day before to make sure that they know for certain the information is correct.

K

Kjs

I am Rh- (o-)and My oldest son is Rh-(o-). I was told when I was pregnant about all the complications of my body fighting off foreign blood, and having to get a shot after his birth. They also told me that the ONLY way he would be Rh- is if his father was also Rh-. Didn't check the Rh factor in fathers blood. Didn't care.

difficult child is type A. Same as his father.

I would have the blood checked again.

everywoman

I think husband is wrong. His mom was A-. His sister is A-. He swears that his dad was O+ and so is he. I think he is probably A or AB. difficult child says that he is AB---and I know that husband is the father of both!

DammitJanet

Well EW.......lmao...you guys are medical mysteries. According to that site...if One parent is a type O...they cant have a AB child...lmao.

Marguerite

OK, here's blood grouping class,101.

We each have a lot of different blood groups. It's like, we also each have different characteristics for all sorts ofd things - we have eye colour, we have hair colour, we have skin colour, we have height and so on. A lot of these are not related to one another.

Each person gets two genes for each characteristic - one gene from the mother, one gene from the father. Where more than two possibilities exist (as in ABO) you can still only have two genes in your cells.

The ABO blood group system is an example of incomplete dominance with three alleles.
To simplify this - height is an example of complete dominance with two alleles, T (for tall) and t( for short). Someone who is short HAS to have typical teen. Someone who is tall could have either typical teen or typical teen (or typical teen - depending on whether they got the T from father, or mother). T is dominant, t is recessive.

So, back to ABO - A and B are incompletely dominant over each other. Instead of one taking charge, they are equally strong and both genes are expressed (ie each one produces a marker in the blood plasma). But O - it's recessive to both A and B.
My father was blood group O. My mother was blood group A. But since I KNOW I am blood group O, this means that my mother carried one gene for O and one gene for A. My father HAD to be OO (both genes are O).

husband is blood group B. From what we know, this means that either he's got BB, or he's got BO (I keep telling him!). Now since we know that at least one of our kids is O, this means that husband is carrying a B gene and an O gene.

Now, RH is different again. It's not related to ABO but we're often told our blood group as if it is. It's important to know your blood group because you can have some problems if you don't.

Some people can take just about any blood as long as it's either a match with the ABO system, or it contains a subset of what they have genetically. For example, while O is considered universal donor (ie O group can be given to anyone) those with O blood can only ever be given O blood. AB can only donate to other AB people, but they can receive blood from anybody.
Someone with A blood can receive either A or O.

But RH - it was found that in some rare cases, even matching the ABO group was not enough, a few rare people would be OK first time round but not the second. Or maybe the third. Most people - no worries. Then problems were noticed in babies with "haemolytic disease of the newborn". My grandmother lost all but her first two babies, to this mysterious condition until finally she was miscarrying earlier in each pregnancy and was told, "No more pregnancies."
Some time later is was discovered, using Rhesus monkeys, that some people's blood caused problems in the monkeys and some didn't. The Rh comes from Rhesus. Basically, some people's blood HAD the Rhesus factor (ie Rh+) and some didn't (Rh-).
If you give Rh+ blood to someone who is Rh-, it produced antibodies to Rh+ blood. Next time they get contact with Rh+ blood, it will be vigourously attacked. This can cause serious problems. If a woman is Rh- and is carrying an Rh+ baby, things should be fine unless the blood happens to accidentally mix - this often happens at birth but not before. That's why a woman who is Rh- should get an injection to stop antibody production, after each delivery or miscarriage.

My mother was Rh+. Her mother was Rh-. So we KNOW my mother had a gene for each - positive is dominant, here. I have a sister who is Rh- who had problems with childbirth. Lucky for me, I'm Rh+. So are all my kids, which makes me wonder if husband has Rh+Rh+ genes. Because of my sister, I know I have to be Rh+Rh-.

There are other blood groups further down the list but as these do not seem to produce antibody reactions that are a problem, they tend to be ignored.

With this knowledge you should be able to work out for yourself exactly how it works in your family. In your situation everywoman/katmom, I would be querying husband's results. Or failing that, easy child's.

If, after all your testing, you find that they have blood groups which make it clear that she couldn't be the biological daughter of both of you, I'd be looking into the chance the hospital switched her at birth.

This doesn't often happen. It is far more likely that some pathology technician has made a mistake. Or that husband's records are wrong.

Good luck, and your diplomas will be in the mail, after you complete a short quiz...

Marg