Almost holding my breath...

witzend

M called today to say that he got the job at the nursing home. I hope that he will work towards getting his own apartment. I feel awful that I don't feel more excited for him, but there are so many disappointments.

Like I said before, maybe living with my parents will give him the impetus to get his own place, which will give him the impetus to keep the job...

Fran

Former desparate mom
Living with my parents, motivated me to find my own way too. Maybe our kids will get it even if they do it in such a difficult way.
Fingers crossed for him and for you.

witzend

I talked to him briefly last evening. Apparently somewhere along the line someone at the nursing home who has nothing to do with this job mentioned a "activities director" position - one he is clearly unqualified for. So he said that on his first day of work he will ask for another application and fill it out for that job. :rolleyes: I suggested that he not say anything to anyone about it while he is training, because he shouldn't want them to think that he isn't all that interested in the job he already has.

Sigh...

DDD

It's understandable. Not grasping the whole picture is so difficult child. Chances are he sees an opportunity for advancement and does not have a clue that he's not qualified. The mind set is just not the same as ours. I would guess that he sees your comments as either "holding him back" or "not believing in him". Sigh! It's a hard road we travel. Hugs. DDD

witzend

Update - directly against my advice M went back to the nursing home and applied for the "activities director" job the same day he was supposed to start work in their kitchen. Lo and behold, they decided that he was not serious about the cook's position and told him to go home.

He called today to tell me that his former boss' department head from the community college (where he had been working before he lost his financial aid, and stayed in a fellow employee's apartment for a summer and trashed it after having tried to hang himself in their closet) who said that she'd like to hire him back. He told her that the boss didn't want him back, but she said that he should call her instead. He's all het up, but let's remember that he still has to go back to work for the boss, not the department head. If he does get the job, they're not going to make it easy on him. I wouldn't.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm not completely sure what the definition of impetus is, but if I had to take a guess? I'd say RUN SCREAMING?

Congratulations!