Aloha!!

klmno

Thank you MM!!

Good reminders, Janet!!

They should be calling in less than 2 hours- all my body parts are crossed. LOL! I just hope this isn't a "token interview" because I'm a female and they have to show good faith in seeking an employee no matter what the gender or race.

DammitJanet

Ya know K...with that base...you never know you might be able to make a trade on a car if someone is relocating to Quantico. It is entirely possible that someone is coming from there to VA. I knew several that came from Hawaii to VA.

klmno

Shoot, if this works out, there are a lot of things I can list on Craigslist for a swap- Janet, your brain is pretty alert!!

"Will trade one 14yo difficult child boy in Department of Juvenile Justice with future PO requirements and old car for man similar to Raoul with job and new car in Hawaii". (JK)

klmno

I can be such a dits sometimes- especially when I am nervous. I counted wrong- they are suppposed to call at 4:00 my time, not 3:00. It would have been nice if I'd figured that out before I called and left a message asking if I'd written the time down wrong. Now they are going to think I'm not too bright. LOL!

:hammer:

Can anyone think of a good excuse for me writing this down wrong?

:bag:

Mattsmom277

Spilled my coffee on the paper after hanging up, kind of blurred the numbers and made it difficult to read. Simply so thrilled to get this phone interview for such a great position that you knocked the coffee over!

klmno

:rofl:

I just got off the phone- I'm in the running!! The interview seemed to go well and I have a good feeling about it. It was a conference call with the man who would be my supervisor and his boss. They were both very nice and did well explaining the position requirements and asked good questions. Two things of BIG concern- there was one area that I didn't have any experience in although I told them I would be happy to learn that and they said that they do give lots of training. The bigger concern was that they said they haven't gotten to a point yet of needing to pay relocation expenses but that the step of the pay would be negotiable and worked out with the human resources dept.

We talked over 45 mins and I really had a good feeling about this- it was left that they can call me or email me if they have mmore questions. They said they had others that they need to contact but I swear, my gut tells me they don't have a flock of people experienced and interested to interview, but I could be wrong. They said they thought within two weeks a decision would be made. They insinuated that I would hear from them because the higher up guy said "we look forward to talking to you again" and verified my contact info. He said if I was chosen for the job that the human resources people would be contacting me to negotiate salary details. If that happens, I'll bring up that relocation factor again. LOL! They mentioned starting me at the step 1- I can't take the job for that, especially with no relocation package. I wonder how negotiable this is. Of course, any pay is better than the ZERO I'm getting now but I have to have money to get myself and the dogs out there and get a place to live and I have to have money to get back here in Feb or whenever and take difficult child back. That adds up pretty quick. I have old antique furniture- just a small amount- that my father bought and I have held onto it wanting to pass it on to difficult child for my grandkids someday. I would hate to sell it.

I slid in reminders that I have previous military experience, lived on an island before while in the military, had a clearance, and am licensed in my current profession.

Shewww.....what a ride!!

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Whew!

That sounds promising! I really would try to grab onto a federal job if you can because they are pretty stable employers.

klmno

Oh- I'd love for this to work out. difficult child said he had decided that it might be a good thing for him to move away from here because it might be easier for him to start his life over. (I loved to hear that he's thinking about that!) I just have to sweat this out until I know how interested they are. I need to find a message board where I can ask questions about moving from mainland to there.

I'm having a fear, though, that I could get out there and not be able to get back to get difficult child when he's released. I better make a note to make sure they know that I would have to take time off then- that wouldn't be negotiable.

I'm wouldn't have any problem accessing this board from there would I? That's an important factor, too. LOL!

DammitJanet

Well I would be more than happy to stand in as his parental unit and get him on a plane to you! Im sure we could figure out how to sign some legal forms to do that.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OH!! I'm so happy for you girl!!! Sounds very promising indeedy!! And I'm with you, I seriously doubt they have a very long line of qualified people for this position. They may have people wanting it, just doubtful about the qualified part and that security clearance part.:D

Now for when you dicuss salary and that possible relocation fee thing.........sit down and think of what you actually have to have to make this happen without putting yourself into a bind. It will give you a good starting point for those negotiations and you'll know where to draw that bottom line before you ever get back onto the phone with them again.

If you've never haggled before, find someone who has and have them give you some tips.

Investigate what the cost would be to move yourself and the dogs out there, ect too while you're at it. Knowledge is power.

hugs

slsh

member since 1999
klmno - good luck on this! I moved to HI when I was young, dumb, and single - had my car shipped out, took my summer clothes, and that was it. Didn't have a job when I got there but I figured being homeless/jobless in HI was better than being sheltered/employed and freezing in the Midwest. :rofl: Like I said, young, dumb, and single.

Costs are high. My first Christmas with husband, he had to have a tree - $75 for a Charlie Brown tree, and that was in 1987, LOL. But... the benefits of the beautiful weather and scenery more than compensated for the financial struggle. I lived in an area where there were not many, if any, haoles (Caucasians) and I never had any problems at all. There were some areas you knew not to go alone... but even though my neighborhood had a questionable rep, I found people to be very friendly and welcoming.

I did all my shopping at local stores - managed to survive. Even after husband and I got married, I pretty much stayed away from the commissary - probably had more to do with- convenience since we lived in my apartment and never moved to base housing.

The only downside was I got "rock fever" about 6 months in... the realization I was on a rock in the middle of nowhere and there was nohwere to go. I lived on Oahu, and a roadtrip (my favorite way to chill) lasted max 3 hours. Not terribly satisfying, LOL.

At that time, pets had to be quarantined - I'm thinking 90 days if you were bringing them in from the mainland. Took about 3 weeks for my car to get there - drove to San Francisco where they loaded it onto a boat.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.... less than a heartbeat. It was a grand adventure.

klmno

Thanks again, everyone! I'm getting a little cold feet about it. I figure I will look hard- or keep looking- for a job around here and if I get one that I can live with here, I'll take it. I woke up thinking about difficult child wanting to become a vet and other things that make this a hard decision. I still may do it if I get the offer but I'd rather not take such a big risk if I don't have to.

Janet, coming out of a Department of Juvenile Justice facility, it has to be the person who has custody that signs papers at Department of Juvenile Justice when difficult child is released. But I appreciate the thought!

Lisa- I am working on finding out cost ranges for things like you suggest. I found a website that shows how much more things cost, broken down by housing, medical, food, etc., and shown in percentages. I've looked on craigslist for hawaii housing to get an idea of what I could really get for a certain amount of money. I need to find out cost for actually moving furniture and car. I know that the exact cost would be different but an idea would be helpful. Maybe I can post that question on craigslist.

slsh- I loved your description of "rock island"! I was stationed on a small island for 2 years a VERY long time ago and that happened to all of us, too! I almost have a feeling that difficult child and I would live there until he gets out of high school and maybe has some college, then move back to mainland. I'm sure he would have difficulty adjusting and we used to love going on mini-vacations to various places that we wouldn't be able to do there.

It really worries me to hear that dogs have to be quarrantined for 90 days. I'd heard that happens when moving to a different country, but shoot, we are moving from mainland and the dogs have always had their shots. I could understand if they needed to get vaccinated for more things before going, but I don't understand quarantining to go to HI from mainland.

If that's the case, it would be nice if I could get the dogs out there and quarantined early on and get a home set up but not take the car yet, then when difficult child is released, drive him cross-country and fly over and have the car shipped. It will be mid-school year and any PO would probably have a fit over that though. But it might be worth asking about! It would be cheaper than flying and moving the car from the east coast and difficult child would really enjoy it. I've driven cross-country twice and it was nice.

ETA: I just checked HI's current requirements for bringing a dog. It's possible to get them in without a quarantine but they have to be micro-chipped and along with a bunch of verifiaction for health and rabies shots, there has to be a blood test for rabies that the HI agency recieives at least 120 days prior to the pet's arrival. Well, I guess if I take this job that will be the first thing I have to do. I also will have to get the micro-chips. Then the dogs will be quarantined until 120 days after they rec'd the stuff on the blood test. Also, the owner has to pay fees for getting the dog in. This will probably be $1000 just to get the dogs over there.

Last edited: