Already Making Excuses

zoeyryan

I have a four-year-old girl who has been abused in the past. She qualifies as a child with a social emotional disability in special needs preschool. Any ideas on what to do (I'm the teacher) when she says things like, "I couldn't help sing because it was too loud," "I couldn't listen to the story because I didn't get enough sleep last night," "I can't work because my brain is confused," and "My mom said I had to wear these shoes even though they're too small" on a day when her shoes were way too tight but she'd insisted on wearing them to school anyway. She resists the slightest preacademic demand being placed on her, despite being quite capable and having age appropriate preacademic skills.
This child constantly tells her mother I've said bizarre things and "won't let anyone help her and the work is too hard--" she also constantly tells me things her mother has supposedly said, such as "making her" wear the too-small shoes.

SRL

Hi Zoeyryan, I'm glad you found us.

Were they able to get an IQ test on her during the assessment?

tiredmommy

Hi Zoeyryan,
One thing most of us have learned about our own kids is that they often can't do things that they should, by rights, be able to do. I think I would push for this student to receive intensive emotional support as well as be sure she has received a full & complete evaluation to uncover any underlying problems. The abuse could very well be the root problem, or it could be clouding other problems.