Alternative to DORE

Marguerite

Moderators - I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. Also I need to make clear - this is not a commercial endorsement of a product but a recommendation from a user of a possible hidden benefit to our difficult children, which could save us money and also help our kids - in a product a lot of us might be at least considering using anyway.

This is only my opinion, but I believe the new Nintendo Wii is fabulous for involving kids in more useful computer-based activities. You also have more opportunity for group-based physical activities such as bowling, tennis etc.

And now we've bought Wii Fit. It does an initial assessment on each individual, assessing weight, balance, coordination etc. We had a group session last week with the whole family going through the process and playing the balance games. There are strength-based options too, as well as aerobic fitness. Lots of other stuff we're still finding out.

Now to DORE - I first encountered something similar to this when my sister's son was pre-teen. An Occupational Therapist they consulted gave them some exercises and some drawings of equipment to make - small bean bags, soft balls, cargo net swings and balanced boards. The idea was, to use these thing to help him both balance and coordinate. He would sit in a swing and throw a bean bag to his father, and then catch it, all while swinging. Fun games but also trying to re-program his brain.

Then in the early 90s I had some sophisticated tests on my balance and muscle coordination at a Sydney hospital clinic. It was an interesting experience even though for me, they didn't find anything they could help me with. I understand the clinic still exists. It was a free service, and a good one, as part of Australia's public health system.

Then about ten years ago I saw ads on TV for the DORE program. I made enquiries and they sent me a video. On the video I saw the same equipment that had been used when I was tested at the hearing and balance clinic. The price tag was a bit rich, though. And the more I found out about it, the more it seemed to resemble the ststem my nephew had been using to help him reprogram his ADHD brain. And all his equipment had been put together from scraps, by his father, according to plans given them by the Occupational Therapist (OT).

And now we've bought the Wii. Wii Fit has a foot board that works as scales as well as a system of monitoring pressure. Together, this determines how much weight you put on which part of which foot. Games help you to hone your balance skills and to also do other tasks all the while giving you feedback on your centre of gravity. It is all looking very familiar, but in a more sophisticated way. difficult child 3 loves it and has already spent a lot of time trying to improve his standard. His coordination could be a lot better and this is the way to do it. It's fun and helpful.

I can't prove that it would do the same as DORE, but it certainly seems to be sufficiently similar to at least give some of te same benefits, for a much more acceptable price tag, and without having to trek to a DORE clinic into the bargain. The fuel saving alone would pay for the Wii many times over.

So if you can, find someone who owns one of these and have a go, especially if your difficult child has balance or coordination problems. These can often be found with ADHD and also in some cases with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD).

If you do decide to buy one of these, then if nothing else you will all have a lot of healthy fun. And you may even get more benefit than you expected.

If you want to try one but don't want to/can't afford to buy one, find someone who already has it and make friends with them - bake them a cake every now and then, or similar, so you can at least get your difficult child onto it at least once a week, if not more.

Marg

Andy

Do you know the weight limit on the mat?

I also love Wii - it is a very good exercise option for the kids on those not good for outdoor play days.

I have never heard of DORE so can not input on that one.

Marguerite

The weight limit on the balance board is 150 Kg. That's 330 lb. You're also not supposed to jump on the board, even though "ski jump" is one of the games. Instead, you bend your knees and then suddenly straikghten them to "jump".

Marg

Christy

We have not found Wii fit it in stores yet but I have been wanting to get it for me (or should I say mii). Then when I saw a promo for it, I thought about how it would be really good for to help difficult child with balance.

Thanks for you input. I've been wanting to hear from people who have experience with the game.
Christy

susiestar

Roll With It
We are strongly thinking about a wii. Esp with the wii fit. We are waiting for the new fiscal year for husband's company. They have a matching program for any exercise equipment - and the word is that they may do a match on the wii if you get wii fit or sports!!!

Thanks for the info.

by the way, glad to see you are "found" and no longer missing!! It just isn't the same around here with-o you.

Susie

Sara PA

My son got a Wii but took it to LA with him. I played some games when he had it home. It is really fun and great family fun. Now that I've seen Wii Fit, I'm considering getting one for myself. I probably won't, but I'm thinking about it.

Dance Dance Revolution for whatever other system he has it for and the Wii are two things I highly recommend for those who can afford them. (Does anyone play DDR anymore since Guitar Hero came out?)

Andy

When we purchased our Wii the sports came with it (bowling, boxing, tennis, golf, baseball).

Making the Miis are so much fun in itself. Kids who visit often spend there time on the Wii making a Mii or two.

We have also loaned our Wii out to a couple families and sometimes take it on vacation with us so got the backpack for transporting.

Marguerite

Sara, DDR is something BF1 gave easy child for her birthday, just last weekend. I didn't see them playing with it because I was busy in the kitchen at the time.

When we bought our Wii, it also came with Wii Sports. We found the bowling to be a good family activity, especially me & husband because neither of us has the strength to do it physically with a bowling ball; plus the noise in those alleys is a big problem.

A couple of weeks ago when difficult child 3 had to go in to his school for an exam, we got there two hours early and checked out the op-shop nearby. difficult child 3 rummaged through the toys area and found a box of accessories for Wii Sport - the bits of plastic you can attach to the nun-chuks and remote to turn them into a tennis racquet, a baseball bat, a golf club, etc and it looked brand new. They sold it to us for $2.

We just got mother in law up on the thing again today to test her coordination. She couldn't do the exercise that asked her to balance on one leg, but did well otherwise.

I've been doing the step aerobics again today and had to chuckle - the screen shows me doing it with mother in law alongside. We had a lot of fun making the Mii's, although we can't get girlfriend's Mii right. The options do include Asian eyes, but not Maori eyes. Think - how would you do a Mii for Liv Tyler? She has a similar face.

Today difficult child 3 was invited to his friend's house to play (computer games). I've invited them around tomorrow to play some Wii Fit. We already have a Mii for the friend, I need to get difficult child 3 to make one for his mother.

I like the sound of the backpack, Adrianne. We have an old briefcase that husband fished out of the skip at work, I think it was originally used to transport laptop plus extras, it's been OK for the Wii.

difficult child 3 has been doing a lot of working out with this - over an hour last night and again this morning, including press-ups. He says his balance has been improving - this seems to really help a lot, the various games/tests seem to be working on his overall coordination.

I am so glad we got this gizmo. I can use it as a bribe, and still know he's working towards something I would otherwise have to nag him to do - exercise. It's a great group activity, as we can watch each other and support each other as well.

Marg

Marguerite

I showed Wii Fit to the therapist last night (she dropped in for coffee) and she mentioned that she had heard Dore have gone into receivership in Australia.

So I went looking - here is the link:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/23/2254399.htm?section=justin

In the process I found that it was costing A$5000 for a course of 9 treatments over 12 months. That's 20 times what we have paid, for something difficult child 3 has been using daily in the last week.

Does it work? Well, it does teach better balance and coordination. Does this help with other problem aspects of ADHD & autism? I don't know. But if nothing else, at least we should have a stronger, fitter, better coordinated child.

And we're having fun!

Marg