Alternative universe

Malika

I think J lives in a slightly different world from us. It is rather original and creative. Tonight, for example, he informed me conversationally while in the bath - with a completely straight face - that a friend at school had had his "zizi" (child's name for penis) cut off with a special "cutting machine" and then sewn back on again and that he, J, had also had this done. Later he told me that he climbed all over the desks at school but the teacher never saw him doing it because J just pressed his "do not see" button and so he was invisible... All delivered with a completely serious face as though he is relating pure fact.

InsaneCdn

Overactive imagination. been there done that. (this was gfgbro to a T)

Which, by the way, IS an ADHD/ADD trait... an imagination so real and vivid, that you get lost in your own imagination. It's part of why so many "artistic" types are... ADHD and/or Aspie.

Malika

Well, I don't know if it's (the dreaded :)) ADHD or not... I'd like to think it was the young child's mind in all its glory. It makes me laugh.

InsaneCdn

Malika, some days I'd love to cross the pond and shake some sense into you.

ADHD is not an albatross. It is, in fact, a unique niche that (depending on your point of view) was designed or happened, to fill some very unique human needs. ADHD people are adventurers, scientists, discoverers, artists, musicians, composers, dancers... So many of the most valuable contributions to the furtherment of mankind have come from ADHD people.

The only problems with ADHD are:
1) It doesn't "fit" well with modern society, and
2) somehow, you have to learn some extra survival skills so you can make it past age 25.

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)... now THAT's more challenging, as is Aspie, or any of the MI dxes, or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), or a raft of other "serious" dxes.

I wear my ADHD "label" with pride.

Malika

Yay, IC, well said! Too bad this notion of ADHD is not the typical one (I was only joking by the way... well, okay, half-joking.... :))

InsaneCdn

I took it as half-joking... ;)

But because the label does carry such a strong negative connotation, I look for any chance to present an alternative point of view. Self defence, if you will.