Am I doing the right thing

lrdfrost

My mother is 53 years old for the last year has been living with my fiancée and myself.i love her with all my heart.shes mentally ill has been committed 6 times over the last 4 years she goes for a week to 3 and gets released with medication upon release stops taking them. Everyday she gets worse and refuses to take medicine or see a shrink. Recently she tried to choke my fiancée and the cops got called but to no avail told me I could go to the magistrate and have her committed again 1-3 weeks out and quits taking medicine back to the same stuff I told her recently she could get help or would have to move out she choose to move out with nowhere else to go. I am riddled with guilt worried sick but I know she has to get help I told her she was more than welcome to stay if she would just see someone regularly I know our relationship can't take much more from this woman what else can I do

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

Wiped Out

Staff member
Welcome Irdfrost,

Things sound very difficult. This forum is more for parents who have children that are difficult. Is there a public health nurse that can make sure she is taking her medications?

lrdfrost

No taking medications is seldomly enforced by the state once there out of the facility mandatory out patient programs are only put into place when the severely hurt someone

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

DammitJanet

I would post over in Parent Emeritus even though we really are geared towards parents dealing with adult children your situation is almost the same. I wonder if there are any online forums for adults taking care of mentally ill parents? Dont know the answer there.

However...I do think you are a wonderful daughter. My mother had some severe psychiatric issues that were undiagnosed and I could have never lived with her. I was only able to have her move in with me when she became ill with alzheimers because she had no clue who I was...lol.

BusynMember

LOLOL, Janet. My mom was finally nice to me too when she had brain cancer and had no idea who I was. I mean, it's not funny, but it is...in a way.