Am I horrible?

LittleDudesMom

OMG! I would be so upset - hopefully it wasn't a permanent marker!

My daughter is a nanny for a little boy and has been with him since he was 5 months old. He is now almost 3.5 and he has been well-behaved for years! He's been coming over here almost weekly since he was little and all I or easy child have to say is, "B, don't touch that it's fragile, or B, that's not a toy" and he's on his way to something else. He is a rough and tumble, extremely active little boy.

My kids never, EVER drew on a wall or anything other than paper (unless they were doing a craft). As you know, Mouse is plenty old to be taught right from wrong! Sorry to say since I know he's your son but that comment is what a lazy parent would say.....

Sorry Janet, this has been so hard on you. Maybe it's time for him to explore assistance housing so he can get out of your place.

Hugs,
Sharon

S

Signorina

Mouse's dad had his own room iirc? Tell him to clean it thoroughly, childproof it 100% and put a gate on the door so that Mouse has somewhere to wander and play safely with no fears of running outside or getting into something she shouldn't.

A 2 year old needs constant supervision. It's a blessing that it was only a marker. It could have been something dangerous or poisonous. You shouldn't have to change the way you live but at the same time, mouse needs to be safe.

When my 3rd was born it became obvious that baby proofing a home isn't an option with 2 older siblings. When he was 2 - his brothers were 5&7 and into Legos, matchbox cars, action figures, crafts and more. So we child proofed his room and it was a safe place for him to explore & play when I couldn't supervise him.

I'm not judging-when PC19 was 2, his 4 year old brother "fed" him a bottle of liquid Benadryl I forgot was in the diaper bag - in the time it took me to bring a load of laundry upstairs. I'll never forget his sobs after he had his stomach irrigated in the ER. I still want to cry.

DammitJanet

Oh Sig, that reminds me of Cory! I was at school and Tony was taking care of the boys at home. He had them outside playing but somehow Cory slipped inside and drank an entire bottle of liquid face cleanser I had on my bathroom counter. He was 18 months at the time. It has alcohol in it and we had to rush him to the ER and they did an arterial blood gas on him which is an awful procedure. They made us wait outside the room while they did it so he wouldnt think we did it to him. He ended up on a glucose drip all night and was right as rain the next day. Whew.

I am trying harder with mouse but she makes it hard. Yesterday we snuggled together in my bed but I wont let her on my bed unless she has a diaper on because she isnt potty trained and that brings me some grief.

The other day Tony and Cory both fell asleep in the living room while she was roaming. I think she was in Cory's lap when he fell asleep but once she saw her chance, she went in the kitchen and broke every egg we had into a cup then added the whole box of salt and a big chunk of butter. Then she poured the mess all over her head!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Janet... I have childproofed Rose's room as well as I possibly can. I still can't leave her alone in there unless she is in her crib. She is FASCINATED with plugs and outlets and... I can't NOT plug anything in!

Yet - he needs to understand, you can't just fall asleep while you are watching a small child. If you're that tired... Put her in a crib... Better yet get some sleep at night.

Regarding diapers and potty training - no, you shouldn't let her in your bed if she doesn't have a diaper on! Or pull ups. Or something. Sheesh, Rose had diaper rash last week and husband let her run "nekkie" for 5-10 minutes and she peed on the floor (carpet) 3 times. I just laughed while he cleaned it up. Some things, you just can't do. Let her sleep nekkie? Sure. Not run around the house...

DammitJanet

My house is definitely not child proofed. We had no need when Monkey was little because all we had to do was tell her no one time and that was it. Even my kids were pretty easy that way. OMG I cant imagine if I had let my kids run rampant in my Dad's house!

Its absolutely ticking me off though that I cant have anything in my room because the entire house is supposedly free reign for her. I had to go do some errands today and when I came home I found where she had been in my room and gotten into some crocheting I am doing, got a hold of some items I am selling on Ebay and made a colossal mess. Cory's answer is I need to put hooks up so she cant get in our doors. Well that wont work on my door because there is a rectangle cut out of the bottom of my door where a vent used to be and she simply crawls right under it like a doggy door. My little dog does it too...lol. I really need a new door but they are mobile home interior doors and you cant just buy them at Lowes. More expensive too considering how cheaply this place was made. I am gonna have to get Tony to put a board across the bottom of my door I guess.

Whats really bad though is she will open the front door and just go out.

Oh well, I think both her and her daddy are heading to his brother's house next Friday. I think they will be there for awhile too. Her daddy needs to be away from our town for awhile.

svengandhi

At least put a hook by the front door or a chain of some sort so she can't leave the house entirely. I know how frustrating this is. Is he taking Monkey with him if he goes or leaving her? I know you love having her but that has its own separate set of issues.

DammitJanet

Oh when he goes the baby wont be here with just me. If she stays behind with her mother then we might get her on weekends. Monkey is the oldest and wouldnt be going up there. Monkey is my helper to be honest. Yeah she can sometimes act her age and be a pain with that whining stuff but most of the time she is great.