Am I stupid?

F

flutterbee

So, there is this:

BREAKING NEWS: Dow Jones index falls more than 200 points following weak jobs report

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3683270/

And this:

Jobless rate jumped to 5.5 percent in May

Increase biggest rise since `86, payrolls cut by 49,000

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25001930/

And this:

Oil prices surge above $134 a barrel

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801/

And this:

Equity in Americans’ homes falls to historic low

Drops to 46.2 percent in first quarter — level not seen since end of WWII

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24988315/

(all from today and yesterday's news)

But, they're still talking about a possible recession??? Am I missing something cause it looks to me like we're already there?

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Nobody wants to be the first to call it that....Saying it outloud makes it real kinda thing......but if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck???????? Say maybe looking back it could have been a duck?

Doesn't really matter if anyone says it, or technically if it qualifies as a recession, just MEANS people are having tough times and need to be careful how they spend their money.

JJJ

I think to be officially a recession, those indicators must fall for 2 straight quarters so it isn't that those aren't bad results, just that they haven't stayed bad for 6 months yet.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Just a side note - I would NEVER put a title of a post "Am I stupid?" I'd be scared as heck as the answer.

Abbey

F

flutterbee

LOL

Well, stupid is my word of the day apparently. I've caught myself using it several times today.

And if people think I'm stupid...ah well. I don't care.

However, I would like to point out that nobody brought it to my attention that one line in my post on the General board made absolutely NO sense. I didn't catch it til this morning and felt rather silly.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sits Wynter's Grace down in a chair and says to her DO NOT EVER EVER EVER ASK if you are STUPID. You may be a Beautiful, Intelligent, Thoughtful, Caring, Human - like me Lol (read each first letter) BUT YOU ARE NEVER STUPID_so do not ask me again)

ahem......and as far as the line in your post that did not make sense? If we pointed out every thing on this board that did not make sense we'd be a community of pointers. With perfection should come the wisdom to give oneself a break.

Now on to your economic question:

There has not yet (to date) been a decline in the Gross Domestic Product or (GPD) of more than 10%. (It's very close). We are seeing inflations in the manner of prices sharpening (ie: oil, gas, mortgage) which is called a stagflation. (love that word - stagnant inflation) lol.

But the NBER (National Bureau of Economic Resources) or NBER has a committee called the Business Cycle Dating Committee and they decide when we officially go into a recession -their guidelines are pretty loose. (like dating a teen with no morals) but the mom above had it right -

We need to show 2 full quarters of negative growth to get the NBER to get the BCDC to say "yup we're in a recession" and even then - it basically means NOTHING to us other than watch your pennies and simply put - YOUR income ain't gonna match your outcome.

Hope this helps.
pft - thinking HOW many times I have written a sentence that wasn't understandable. LOL.

F

flutterbee

Star -

Did you just make that up? :rofl: Kidding, kidding.... We have more committees in this country than we do people. Sheesh.

I understand that hearing the word 'recession' doesn't change a thing. But, call a spade a spade for crying out loud!

And you have to read the word 'stupid' like I'm saying it. Like...I'm not stoopit. You know, like I really am stoopit, but, you know, I'm really not and then it just kinda sounds funny and makes me giggle.

And now I'm trying to figure out how to make the ants actually go into the ant trap and get the ant bait and take it to their leader. It's not like I have a steady stream of them, but I have had two trap thingies down for a week so I shouldn't have any. It says so on the box. So, obviously the ants aren't cooperating.

I need sleep.....

F

flutterbee

Oh and according to my exes (yes, both of them...I think they formed a committee), I am a cold-hearted, Beautiful, Intelligent, Thoughtful, Caring, Human. And a few other things, too.....

Star*

call 911........call 911
Yeah? Well when THEIR opinion counts for something will ya let 'em know?

The first time my X called me that I cried. The last time he called me that - I said "Takes one to know one."

And NOW I'd say - You say that like it's a bad thing!

-You're ANYTHING but cold hearted Wynter - you have a very loving heart.

So am I going to GA with the car trailer to get easy child a car?

Star*

call 911........call 911
:surprise:Ants hate chalk and salt. We used to draw a circle outside on the pavement in chalk - and coral them. Well dont' you know there was always some difficult child ant that wandered right through the artwork.

The ants are looking for water. If you can find their trail outside - then put a pan of something sweet down like kayro syrup and they'll be so busy taking that back to their nest they may leave the house.

What kind of ants do you have? Some won't go in the traps.

HOLY ENTEMOLOGY - you have difficult child ants too!

F

flutterbee

I always told them, "I practice."

And I'm not holding my breath on the car thing. He was backpeddling within a week. Started to get an attitude with me (this was the *&*(^*(&^ post) and I told him he didn't need to. He said it was hard not to. Told him to try harder. He's stoopit. He's let Devon believe for the last 2 years that he got step-daughter her almost new car on her 16th birthday (admitted to me during the above conversation that he had 'help'...uh huh...his in-laws bought it, I'm sure) and now it's coming back to bite him in the butt.

How the heck do I know what kind of ants they are??? They're not talking. They're black. They're the same ones that are on my peonies helping the buds open up, if that helps. Not the little itty bitty baby ants. And not the big carpenter ants. The regular sized ants. Just like on the picture on the ant trap box. :D

KTMom91

Did you show the box to the ants so they know what to do? Kind of like doing a puzzle, and having the complete picture nearby...

Just a thought...

muttmeister

And on TV just a couple of nights ago some jacka$$ was saying that the "downturn" will be shortlived and it is almost over. That's what comes from asking advice from somebody who has millions. If they lived like the rest of us they'd see just how desperate things are and that there is not much chance of them doing anything but get worse for the forseeable future.