Am I the only one up at 3am?

Abbey

Spork Queen
I can't sleep anymore. I sleep for maybe 2 or 3 hours, then lay restless the rest of the night. The Sequel works great (knocks me out), but I have huge muscle tenderness the next day so I take it sparingly. I took it two nights ago and my calves feel like they've run a marathon.

Anyone use OTC stuff and not feel like a zombie the next day? :hypnosis:

Abbey

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Abbey,

I've used the benadryl with fairly good success in the past. Currently, I take Lunesta.

The prednisone treatments are taking away any & all effectiveness of all the sleep medications I have used in the past (which isn't many).

All I can recommend is not to lay about in bed waiting for sleep. Do something low key with a cuppa chamomile tea or whatever is most relaxing for you. I've found that I sleep better in our recliner chair in the living room so most nights I fall asleep there.

Additionally, I've been told to sleep when my body tells me to - 10 in the morning or 3 in the afternoon.

What bothers me most is how lonely the middle of the night can be. there is very little I can do around the house that wouldn't wake either husband or kt. I do my artwork, read when I can, play on my nintendo ds - whatever. Eventually I do get in my 2 or so hours of sleep. I doze on & off the rest of the night depending on my body's sleep pattern

TerryJ2

So sorry. been there done that.
I agree, it's hard to do what you want to do because most things make noise!
Painting is good for me ... it's downstairs and away from everyone. And reading is quiet.
Take care. And take naps. :smile:

DDD

Abbey, have you tried Benadryl or Melatonin? Those two OTCs work
well for my family. Hugs. DDD

F

flutterbee

Benadryl knocks me out, but I have a hangover the next day. Melatonin has been the best. It doesn't knock me out...I just relax and start to feel sleepy...and no hangover the next day.

svengandhi

Abbey -

I don't know if this will interfere with any of your other medications, but when I was in my homicidal rage phase, I got my doctor to give me Lexapro. I took 10 Mg. at night about 1/2 before bedtime and it helped me fall asleep faster. It didn't keep me from waking up during the night, but I was able to get back to sleep more quickly and with less tiredness in the morning than otherwise.

Sometimes, I still wish I had an excuse to take it.

Sven

goldenguru

After putting up with insomnia for years I asked my doctor for a rx sleep aide. She prescribed AmbienCR. I take it very cautiously.

I used to be able to function after only sleeping a few hours. The older I get, the less I'm able to function. So - when I get desperate I take an Ambien and sleep a full 6 hours.

Other nights I knit. It's quiet, monotonous and somehow soothing.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Thanks all. Benedryl knocks me out, but I also feel hung over the next day. I've learned to get up, but I have to be SOOO quiet. I don't worry so much about waking the family...but waking the birds. :smile:

I DID sleep last night. In fact, I slept so hard that I had to use my hand to open my eyes this morning.

I seem to go in spurts. I'll go a few weeks without sleeping, then I'll get a few good days in. I'll try some of the OTC's you recommended.

Abbey

goldenguru

I don't know how old you are Abby - but this could be pre-menopausal. Something to talk to your doctor about.

I have heard that a very mild AD will help alleviate some of the more bothersome menopausal sx.

Glad you slept last night. Makes the world a nicer place huh?