Amazing Ike photos

Sheila

With so many tragedies, injuries, etc., I'm on my high-horse.

Some of the people in those photos are totally ignorant. Not only do they put their own lives in danger, they endanger emergency personnel that have to try to rescue them. If they survive, they impede authorities getting infrastructure in place after the storm.

Why? Why do people do that?

If you live near a coast line, and you're told to evacuate by authorities, please get out. Mother nature will win.

Ok. Off my soap box.

klmno

Wow, Sheila- that is awakening. I don't know why people wouldn't just evacuate. My mother is that way, although many people try to tell her to. What a horrible experience to live through. I'm thankful you and yours are ok.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Some stupidity, some stubborness, and some who just don't have the money to leave. If someone told me today that I needed to evacuate I'd be dumb struck. I have no where to go, no money to get there, wherever that might be, etc.

I saw a video of some young guy who was literally up to his chin in water. He said the same thing...no where to go and no money. Poor guy.

Abbey

wakeupcall

I live in Houston. There were so many who didn't evacuate I can't believe it. Yesterday difficult child, h, and I drove to Seabrook and Kemah. The devastation is .. well, there are no words for it. H kept telling me to get a photo, but I was so struck I forgot to click. We had mandatory evacuation and we were GONE. Why anyone would risk their lives like that, I will never understand.

Marguerite

And to think - it could have been even worse. The event was downgraded from what was expected - and it still did all that damage.

I hear you on the difficulties of getting people out of an area like this, when they may not be able to afford it or may not be physically capable. There ARE ways tat help can be made available.

In our last major fires in 1994, emergency vehicles couldn't get to us because road access to us was suddenly cut off by fires. We've been used to this before, but this time was bad - much worse than we'd ever seen, and radio warnings, other warnings were nonexistent. However, as word trickled through, people contacted one another, word spread (word of mouth) and neighbours went door to door to help others. The phone rang - relatives wanting to help from "the mainland". The bay was filling with boats as people sailed over, trying to pluck us form the beaches. For us at the time, we didn't even know we were in such danger because we couldn't even smell smoke - the fire was just too big.

I was too ill to do much more than organise the kids to get spare undies and toothbrush each into a plastic bag, before a neighbour drove us to the wharf. The ferry had been stopped but was running again. By this time, evac centres had been set up in the village away from the biggest risk of fire, down by the beach. A lot of people stayed, but they stayed to help and to work as part of a team. Those who couldn't be of use, like me at the time, were shipped (literally) to the mainland. Once there we were met by ambulance officers assessing our condition (no reason for there to be a problem) and from there, sent to a quickly-set-up refugee centre. Once there we were fed and assessed again as to where to send us - hospital (I was in labour, but not about to have the baby) or to a billet. They had contacts for us but we had one of our own. We had to give them the name of the person who housed us so we could be contacted if needed.
Going back home - not permitted for three days. Adter that the place was roadblocked off so non-residents were not permitted. This continued for several weeks, when we had deliveries or people wanting to visit, that simply wasn't possible for a few weeks, and then they had to give a specific address which sometimes was double-checked - I got a few phone calls asking if we were expecting a visit from anyone. The purpose - to prevent sightseers.

A few years ago there was another bad fire heading our way - this time there was still road access, at least enough for the police to have got through to us. The police and local fire brigade drove around the streets with sirens, making announcements. Special evac boats had been arranged, with a welcoming committee on the mainland to look after anyone who wanted to leave. We were recommended to leave if we were non-residents (it was holiday time) or if we were unable to be useful in protecting our property. This time we chose to stay and fight. husband & I know our area well and were fairly sure there wouldn't be any problem, plus for us it was good therapy to stay, for us.

If we had wanted to leave but were unable to get ourselves to the boat, the police or the brigade would have organised it for us. Again, accommodation would have been organised as well as food. Donated, as a rule.

Where there is the opportunity to get help into an area beforehand, we can always get help to get out if we want it. Where there have been disasters with little or no advance warning, we are better set up to get help in place for clean-up as well as rescue. It's far from perfect, but it IS more streamlined.

What really worries me about photos of floods etc - people 'playing' in the aftermath. especially people wading through the water - it's dangerous. Not only could there be ANYTHING under the muddy water (such as hidden drains, sharp debris) there is also a lot of disease risk with backed up septics dumping their contents into the floodwaters. "Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink."

The attitude should be - if you choose to not leave (and there should always be the choice - poverty or other inability should never have to be a factor) then you should be adequately prepared and capable of looking after yourself, so as to not become an unnecessary burden on rescue services already stretched beyond their limits.

Marg

Sheila

Actually, there was no reason not to evacuate.

If no transportation, evacuees could call 211, then were picked up and driven to a departure point, loaded onto buses, driven to shelters with-food, water and cots. Pets were allowed to be evacuated also. (Hard lesson learned during Rita -- many won't leave their pets.)

Transportation has been or will be provided for a return trip home.

All at no cost.

It's because of this that more lives weren't lost.

Marguerite

"It's because of this that more lives weren't lost."

Amen to that, Sheila.

Not that it can prevent every possible death. But preventing as many as possible, by doing as much as possible - it's far better than just leaving it to chance or individual common sense.

What also helps a lot - a good community spirit, where people try to help one another in a crisis. If you've got that, then you've got a great deal that can prevent so much harm.

Marg

DammitJanet

Sheila...I had also heard that they were providing pet evacuations and this was all being done at no cost if you couldnt afford it...plus once the storm hit and FEMA got there, the vouchers start kicking in.

Its not a fun or pleasant experience to be in a shelter. I know, I have worked in Red Cross shelters as volunteer personnel. It was part of my job description when I worked for Social Services. But it is by far better to be in a shelter and be safe than to be at home and dead.

Fran

Former desparate mom
There are those that have it much worse. This isn't my primary residence but it is bad enough.

Sheila

OMG, Fran!

My brain just couldn't get oriented from the "before" photo compared to the "afters." It took me a while to figure out the after pics went with-that beautifully landscaped house with-the decking.

My heart hurts for you.

Marguerite

Nasty.

Is it still stable? Or have the foundations shifted too much? I hope you are able to do something with the place.

Marg

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks Sheila and Marguerite.
We have no idea about stability but it doesn't appear very stable.
We have not been allowed on the island until this week due to no sewage system, electricity, water and lots of dangerous debris. It's still pretty warm and humid on the island(think Miami). Lots of mold growing.
I hope to get there on Friday to salvage what I can, take photo's and secure the place from further damage. I only get 12hrs and I have to bring equipment, water and not need a bathroom for hours at a time.

I'm not sharing these for sympathy but to give a personal story to the photo's of destruction everyone sees and talks about. We are just one family's story and I didn't lose family photo's or sentimental family items. I do have wonderful memories and hope to have them again someday.

We will begin the clean up and hope we can rebuild if and when the dune will be rebuilt.
Anyone have a ladder? No steps into the house exist.

Fran

Former desparate mom
This photo is a favorite because of the peaceful feel.
The last two are my favorite for the change and the power.

Marguerite

That last one especially is a beauty. He looks a bit like Mickey in "Sorcerer's Apprentice" magically conducting the anger of the waves.

Marg

Fran

Former desparate mom
It does doesn't it?
It's actually a memorial to the victims of th 1900 storm where somewhere between 6000 to 8000 lost their life on Galveston Island. At the time it was quite the thriving metropolis.