American Idol Top 13

SRL

The way the judges have always trashed any previous Michael Jackson songs I expected last night to be a total trainwreck, but was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't. That I attribute to smart, safe song choices on the part of most contestants. The big exceptions were in my opinion Anoop and Megan. The moment I saw him in that jacket with a turned up collar I knew he was headed for big trouble. There are two MJ songs that no one should ever touch--Thriller is one and he had to go and pick the other. :faint: I think he has a big enough organized fan base to survive this week but he sure isn't going to have favor with the judges if they're involved in the decisions.

Megan's Rockin' Robin reminded me of the sunshine song Brooke did last season.

Every time the judges mentioned a performance being old fashioned I had to laugh. What did they expect when they pulled out the song book of an artist who hasn't been on the charts in a few decades?

The biggest surprise of the night for me was Michael Sarver. He hasn't impressed me up to this point but he made a great song choice and carried it well.

Adam is a confident, well prepared performer and if he keeps this up I have no doubt he'll be in the finals. Watching him is fascinating but personally I just don't care for the singing and would never purchase his music.

Who do you think will go tonight? Based on last night's performances I think Anoop, Jorge, Megan, Jasmine and Kris to be most in danger. After hearing the judges comments I'll bet Anoop's fans put even more effort into voting.

I missed the part about the change in voting or judge's involvement but read it somewhere. What was that all about?

Fran

Former desparate mom
SRL, I loved Adam's voice as well as Danny's and Lil. I am actually impressed with the level of singing this early in the competition. I thought Jorge was doing a fabulous job but obviously I'm not judge on who is a good singer.

The 16 yr old with red hair(can't remember her name) did an amazing job as a rocker chick. She put me in mind of Heart from my days. Excellent job.

Anoop was by far the worst and he is a cutie but I haven't seen the same sort of passion in his voice that the others have had.

I love Michael because he has stepped out of the box to go for his dream. Hope he gets some sort of career start from just being on the show.

DammitJanet

I hate to say it but Anoop did an Anoopsie. Wrong song big time. I did like the little red head rocker chick. Very good voice and what stage presence for just 16!

My favs are still Micheal and the guy with the black hair on the diagonal cut, and Alexis Grace.

AnnMarieTN

My vote to go home is Megan. Did you hear her actually "caw" at the end of the Rockin' Robin song lol

Adam really doesn't even belong on American Idol. I don't personally like him, but he is very talented and should have been recording a LONG time ago.

Danny Gokey is my favorite.

Lothlorien

I hope Anoop gets another chance, but he better really step it up.

I loved Danny. He was just awesome.

I don't think I'd buy Adam's music either. Adam was okay, but Paula was fawning. Did she forget to take her Xanax yesterday? She had this very weird look about her, like she was about to get all teary eyed, but stranger.

I, too, thought Megan was a disaster. Like I said last week, the red-head should have made it, not Megan. It did kind of remind me of the sunshine song, too.

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
Another one who hopes Anoop gets another chance.

Megan should go home tonight and maybe Jasmine?

I really loved Danny and he is my favorite.

Adam, the rocker dude did awesome, but I agree, he should already have a recording contract, he doesn't need AI.

Scott, I am sooo glad he got behind the piano again, he just shines when he plays and sings.

Alexis Grace is just too cute for words, she sings pretty darn good too!!

Lil was fantastic, I really like her alot.

Not sure what that young guy's name is, the one who has only been married a few months, but I really liked he. He is sooooocute.

Jorge kinda tanked last night, in my opinion.

Allison, red/pink hair was very good, amazing she is only 16!

Oil rig guy (name?) was really good.

I know I am forgetting one, which one? CRS has kicked in today, lol!

Hugs, Vickie

SRL

I don't think I'd buy Adam's music either. Adam was okay, but Paula was fawning. Did she forget to take her Xanax yesterday? She had this very weird look about her, like she was about to get all teary eyed, but stranger.

I thought she'd OD'd on the botox. I have to say that Paula has surprised me by having far more comments that actually made sense this year than last. I don't care for having a 4th judge but maybe it's made Paula step up her game.

One of my kids missed the show last night and was listening (not watching) to the performances online. To my surprise, Anoop's vocals were actually pretty good. He looked like such a fish out of water it made the singing way worse. Adam sounded better to me when I wasn't watching him too.

I liked Danny too. I thought his admission that he could sing or dance, but not both together was cute.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I thought what really helped backfire Anoop last night was his "look." They need to spike his hair and/or make him look more "hip"- the kind of transformation that we saw with Clay Aiken and Kelly Clarkson and many others over the weeks.

Danny Gokey looks like Robert Downey, Jr. :) Love them both (Danny and Robert)! :D

Suz

I like Danny too! I do think that Anoop did an oopsie! Adam is unbelievable but does seem out of place. For the girls, I think Lil Rounds is pretty good. The Megan girl does remind me of Brooke - kinda laid back or something. I did enjoy the show.

KTMom91

Miss KT thinks Adam is "pretty" :redface: She hopes he wins. She has this major thing for messy guys in girl pants, because they're so hot! Not the pants, the guys.

I don't watch, so I don't care.

SRL

I thought what really helped backfire Anoop last night was his "look." They need to spike his hair and/or make him look more "hip"- the kind of transformation that we saw with Clay Aiken and Kelly Clarkson and many others over the weeks.

Suz, my teen son even that wouldn't have helped Anoop. He said that college kid would have needed a switchblade and gang back up singers to pull it off.:sword:

I've always thought the judges--Simon especially--were being pretty harsh when criticizing the singer's looks and dress. But someone posted Anoop's studio version of Beat It and it was definitely respectable. Strange--because after seeing the performance I would have expected it to be more train wreckish.

http://www.imeem.com/people/kCfLWus/music/bVov8nFX/anoop-desai-beat-it-studio-version/

No surprised last night but poor Jorge sure looked crushed. I really liked him on the show and am sorry to see him go.

Danny needs dancing lessons!:cutie_pie: Any voluteers?

DammitJanet

I was pleased with the results. I wasnt sure who was going to go with either of the pairs. I think I like Megan more but I dont think she will make it far.

I am thrilled my Micheal made it...lol. He is just too cute for words. Sorry, that is just my type.

I dont know what I think about the new rule.

AnnMarieTN

I think they have made up their minds of who they want to win and this new rule is a way to make that happen. That way if their choice gets eliminated, they can save them and bring them back.

Lothlorien

I'm a little iffy about this new rule. Look at Cat and Chris D. If Cat had gone home, things might be different. Chris has made a killing and is doing very well. Cat, on the other hand....maybe not doing quite as well as Chris, but I saw her on a PBS special last week singing with some huge stars like Andrea Boccelli. I think I'd have been on cloud nine, if I were her.

AND we'd have never heard her singing Black Horse and the Cherry Tree, which was phenomenal. I liked her version better than the original.

SRL

I haven't watched long enough (only last season) to know what I think of the new rule. I do think it's cruel to stand the kids who were already eliminated in front of the judges for what was obviously going to be one more rejection last night. There's no way they would have exercised that option this early or with either of those singers. Simon sure wasn't delicate about it--at least Paula sends them away with some genuine encouragement.

I was in and out last night so I didn't watch the show carefully. When they stood Megan and Jasmine and Anoop and Jorge together did they say they were the bottom vote getters?

DammitJanet

Well I think that Megan and Jasmine must have had the lowest two scores out of the girls and Jorge and Anoop had the lowest two scores out of the boys...at least that is how it has worked in the past.

I think this new rule has been put into place because of Chris D specifically but in all honesty...I dont think they really need it. Chris D has done very well without Idol. I think he has probably done better than if he had been locked into that Idol contract. I am very proud of our NC Idol contestants. They have really done themselves proud. We have Fantasia, Clay, Chris, Bucky, and of course, Kellie. All have had solid careers now. Only one won and the others are actually more popular...lol. (at least here....)

AnnMarieTN

Maybe that popularity is part of the new rule. If Chris Daughtry had stayed in and won, would his first album had been an American Idol one? I mean would they have made money off of him?