An observation

F

flutterbee

I've posted before about difficult child's endless 'need' for material things. It always seemed like she had this emptiness in her that she tried to fill with things.

Lately, her requests for things had dramatically subsided.

Until about 2 weeks ago. All of a sudden she 'needs' things again. I'm talking she's asking for 4 or 5 new things that she 'needs' or 'really, really wants' every day. Anything from knitting needles to big ticket items. In that time she's also been having headaches and tummy aches and having trouble sleeping. In addition, her speech cluttering has increased again. It had gotten much better.

So, now I'm thinking this 'need' is a sign of her anxiety. She's not off the charts and she hasn't had any panic attacks. But, I think it's safe to say that her anxiety is kicking up again.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Do you think the increase in day light could be affecting her at all? Triggering her into some sort of "manic" like actions... I know I spend more... and get way more manic around now!!!
Just a thought???

F

flutterbee

T -

I had that thought as I was typing this post. Not the daylight so much as more of a manic type thing. However, she doesn't have any of the other hallmark signs of a hypomanic state such as grandiose thinking or inflated sense of self. She's not irritable or anything either, which is actually a rather novel thing for her. LOL

I'll be keeping my eye on things, though. She got a guitar for her birthday and started lessons and I'm wondering if that's triggering her anxiety. She really likes it and practices and her instructor is *perfect* for her. Most people don't know how to communicate with her because she...well, she doesn't make it easy. Until she's comfortable with someone, getting her to respond is like pulling teeth. But, this guy seemed to completely get how to communicate with her without me even explaining anything to him. But, I digress. Back to the guitar and the anxiety....she made a comment that she was worried it was going to be too much with school work and lessons plus practicing daily. She only has to practice for 30 minutes a day, but with anxiety it's about perceived stress, not actual. If that makes any sense.

smallworld

Heather, my daughter M has this exact "need" for material goods when her anxiety and depression kick into high gear. We do not think she has a mood disorder, just extreme anxiety. When her medications are working better, it does not happen. She hasn't insisted on my taking her shopping for weeks -- a new record in our household!

nvts

This is a long shot: could our little difficult child have a tiny crush? I mean here's a guy paying attention to her, knows how to communicate with her, gets her to practice 30 mins. a day, etc.

She might be liking him, not realizing it (she's only 13!) and she could be getting anxious about it.

Shot in the dark!

Beth

F

flutterbee

Beth -

I don't know that difficult child has a crush on the instructor, but I think I might. He's cute and patient with difficult child...what more could you ask for? :rofl: