An update

JulieMarshall

I just wanted to drop by to give you lovely amazing people an update about Leo.

He came home today! The psychiatric hospital released him this morning. Leo did have to stay longer than was originally thought because he refused to eat; they ended up having to sedate and force feed him with a tube. Nothing was helping him, and Leo was just so closed off. It was just awful and frustrating and sad and I was beginning to lose hope.

The breakthrough point came, two days after they had to start force feeding him, with this psychologist who had been on vacation. The guy was young and hip and he immediately connected with Leo. My god the man was amazing, like a teenage boy whisperer/miracle worker. I visited Leo that night and the light had started to return to his eyes. I don't know what he said to Leo during their session or what Leo said back but it worked. Leo willingly ate after that first session. Not much, but it was definitely a start.

Dr. Wonderful worked with Leo for two days pretty hardcore, from what he told me, and last night he called me and said that Leo was ready to go home in the morning.

I was kind of anxious because I was worried that my other kids wouldn't know how to act around him, especially my daughters because they saw Leo's breakdown when I called emergency transport to take him to the hospital. But they were so great and understanding and natural with him. I'm so proud of them.

Leo's obviously not completely better, but Jack said something funny at lunch today and Leo actually smiled for the first time in three weeks, smiled his beautiful sunny smile that makes girls weak at the knees and the thing I've missed so, so much. I almost started bawling.

Leo is still kind of distant and withdrawn with me, and I'm not sure if he's still mad at me or embarrassed or what. But he's home and eating and hanging out with his siblings watching a movie right now instead of holed up in his room. I couldn't ask for more, really.

We have an appointment for a family therapist on Sunday, so we'll see how that goes. Leo knows that he has to go or else he could be re-admitted to the psychiatric hospital. He says he'll go, which is great.

The best news is that Dr. Wonderful has a small private practice on the side. It's highly selective because he doesn't have too much time to do it, but he said that he would definitely see Leo. I'm so happy because he's the thing that basically saved my son.

But all of you deserve my thanks just as much. If you all hadn't urged me to call 911, Leo could have been dead by now. So you saved Leo, too. Thank you so, so much. I really can't tell you how grateful I am for this website and you amazing mothers who, even though you all have kids that from what I've seen on other threads are more heartbreaking than Leo, were able to be so helpful and encouraging and supportive of me. You saved me as well. So I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

--Julie

tiredmommy

{{{Julie}}}

Sending big hugs your way! I'm so glad Leo had Dr. Wonderful and is starting to recover. Try to keep your expectations realistic and remember there will be bumps in the road along the way.

H

HaoZi

Really glad to hear the news, and thank you for updating us. Has Leo mentioned wanting to do a memorial of any kind for his friend? Some people do those immediately as a form of healing, some people find it too raw to even consider right away, even if it's as simple as planting a tree in his name somewhere. It might be something Dr Wonderful would be better off broaching if the idea hasn't been introduced or occurred to him by now.
Good to hear the siblings are acting more like he away at a friend's house for a few days instead of acting scared of him.
Please continue to let us know how y'all are doing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm glad to hear this update... I'm sure he is still upset, but it will get better.

I concur with HaoZi... In 2005, my kids' infant half-sister (with their bio mom) passed away. The next year, on the anniversary, I bought a small token with the little girl's name, took Onyxx to get flowers, and then she and I went to this beautiful park in the middle of the city - it's rather hidden. Then I explained. She put the token on the flowers and set them to float downstream. And cried all over me. And then thanked me. I told her we would do it every year if she wanted to. She's mentioned it again, but never asked; and it's her sister, so it's up to her.

That's just what we did. But when he is ready... If he wants to... Something, would be nice.

:hugs:

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Julie--

This is wonderful news! Thank you so much for the update!

Glad to hear that Leo is on the road to recovery...

nvts

So happy to hear that you're both on the mend! You did a great job Mom - dished it out instead of taking it! lol!

Very happy for Leo - he's got so much going for him!

Keep up the great work! You're awesome! :choir:

Beth

M

ML

What a great udpdate. I pray for continued improvement with the Lion man!

slsh

member since 1999
Julie - thank you so much for such a wonderful update. I'm sure that there's still a lot of hard work in front of Leo, and your family, but hopefully the crisis has passed and the focus can be on his healing. I'm just tickled that Dr. Wonderful has agreed to continue seeing Leo - good therapists who are able to connect with- our kids can sometimes be hard to find. It's fabulous that you guys found someone who Leo can open up to.

You did, and are doing, a great job, Julie. Again, the credit has to go to you for seeing the signs and taking appropriate action. I'm just so very very happy that things are heading in a positive direction. Do keep us updated, if you can. Many hugs to you!

DDD

I'm not sure which news is better...discharge or finding the right therapist! Awesome update. To have a connection with a therapist is the seed of hope for the future. Great news! DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
You know -

You can ask for the first 5 - 15 minutes of Leo's therapy for a recap with you and Dr.W to ask questions YOU have so that you can keep the lines of communication open with Leo. If you are unsure of what is right, good, appropriate so that you can have effective and good communication - write down your questions and ask Dr. W for 5 minutes ALONE - then let the rest of the time be with him and Leo.

I used to worry that things I would think were appropriate or right would set my sons progress back - so before I acted too quickly on my feelings I asked. It saved a LOT of problems and heartache. We lost a son, and our youngest went into a really bad depression. I had individual therapy but on the days my son came the psychiatrist suggested this to me in case there were things I felt I had questions over. It helped a lot. Oh and the door and room? Soundproof. The psychiatrist had a way of explaining to our son that somethings for parents and adults weren't for teens ears. He seemed to be okay with it too.

Don't feel you have to keep walking around on eggshells either. Life goes on. You're an awesome Mom who took immediate action with keen insight and saved your sons life. Someday he'll forgive you - who knows what's in a teenagers mind, and it's probable he's embarassed with himself and angry with you right now. SO WHAT? I'd rather have my son angry with me and alive and able to forgive me later - that I could deal with.

Hang in there - Hugs
Star

TerryJ2

Oh gosh, I am so happy things are turning out better. I hope that your appointment with Dr Wonderful worked out well today. This is going to be a long road but you are on the right track.
Please stay in touch.

pepperidge

Julie,

The credit is to you. I suspect that by posting to board you were just getting the encouragement to do what you knew you had to do in your heart. I am glad that you seem to be on the right track. Please let us know how things progress. We need all the success stories around here that we can get! Hugs.